Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radar arch trim/moulding-gctid530267

Guys,

I am in the process of rebuilding the radar arch on my 1989 3888. Actually, I have completed the dirty work of removing all of the old wood, some rotted some not, and epoxying all new wood in as well as replacing the vinyl covered wood panels with starboard. For those of you who have already had the pleasure of completing this arduous project what type of moulding did you use to trim the arch fiberglass and the starboard joint? Even though all of the new wood is epoxy coated, theoretically waterproofing it, I'd like to seal the starboard/fiberglass joint as well as possible . I know I could use 4200 et all, but I'd like to be able to remove the starboard panels for any future wiring and/or maintenance thus looking for a product that trims the joint as well as seals.....if there is such a thing?

Side note....are there plans to transfer the old threads to this new site as there has been a lot of lost pics and info on this topic as well as others?

Thanks,

Jim
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

I was able to get the trim off without damaging it, so I cleaned it up and reused it.

IMO the trim is what caused the problem in the first place. It was not sealed between the trim and the arch. This allowed water to run behind it. When the water hit the 10,000 staples that Bayliner used to hold it in place, it capillaryied into the wood (#2 pine) blocking and started the decomposition.

When I reinstalled the trim, I ran a bead of 4200 in the corner of the "L", making sure it squeezed out all along the arch and trim. I then used tape to hold it in place until it dried. After it dried, I used a razor blade to cut away the excess.

Here's a link to my rebuild if you haven't already read it or haven't been able to find it.

Hope it helps. http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/~b...8-arch-rebuild

Comment

Reed,

Thank you for the link! This is one of the threads I had seen before that inspired me to tackle my arch. In my case there was no possible way I could reuse the plastic trim as it was damaged and extremely unsightly. Regarding the 4200, certainly it would provide a watertight seal on the side you applied it but what about the other side? Won't that unprotected side allow water to wick into the arch? Perhaps the little that does will not affect the epoxy protected wood? I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Jim
      Jim Gandee
      1989 3888
      Hino 175's
      Fire Escape
      Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I'm sure some water could possibly get in on the starboard panel side but not nearly as much as from the top. I had planned on pulling off a panel to look for water intrusion last season but never got around to it. Had I found any/considerable I was going to run a small bead of 4200 behind the panel.

In general, I'm not to worried about it. The repair as it stands will probably out last the boat.....or at least get me another 25-30 years.

Reed

Comment

Reed,

Like you I'm not so concerned about the water intrusion since the wood has been sealed with epoxy. I'm on the search for some sort of piping that would also help seal the mating surface of the starboard where it joins the fiberglass. I'll let you know what I come up with. Thanks again for your help!
          Jim Gandee
          1989 3888
          Hino 175's
          Fire Escape
          Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

Some creative searching brought up this thread......

http://baylinerownersclub.org/index....closing#104976

with this link.....

http://www.marinepluggers.com/

My old link to the BOC on this subject (as you mention) did not work.

I'm pretty sure that's where I bought my molding. I did attempt to calk the seal interface across the top, but wasn't happy with the results. Like some others, I used the West epoxy on the wood backing, so am not worried about water ingress, though did use sealant on the 'Starboard' material mounting screws. It is a lot of work, much of which does not show, but the HDPE material looks so much better than the vinyl junk. Good hunting, Dean

Comment

Thanks for the response and input Dean. I'm contemplating a two part system perhaps where I 4200 seal the trim to the wood then apply a thin neoprene strip to the starboard which will seal against the trim but allow for starboard removal when necessary for maintenance inside the arch. Not sure just yet.
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

I have been looking for a 1/4 inch T moulding to trim mine out. Can't find anything. Anybody have any ideas?

Comment

I have been looking for trim too. The best I have found so far is acmerubber.com. Now I'm just waiting for a reply for a quote.

Comment

If you have the same type of trim/moulding on your arch as I do, here is some stuff that will work and it is actually pretty cheap. Here is the thing about this, you will have to remove the double sided tape for it to work.

http://rvgutters.com/

Comment

Looking for the plans for rebuilding the radar arch on the 3888 the link in this thread wont work any help?

Comment

Working...
                      X