Thermal Breaker?-gctid342380

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal Breaker?-gctid342380

On our 490, we have occasionally (3 times in 3 years) lost 110VAC power at the receptacles in the pilothouse and Stbd side of the boat. The circuit starts at a GFI in the pilothouse, and daisy chains from there to 4 other receptacles. When power is lost, neither the GFI or any breakers at the electrical panel have popped, and after 20-25 minutes, the power comes back on without us doing anything.

Today the probable reason for losing power was plugging in and switching on a little hand vacuum cleaner, but nothing else was plugged into the circuit at the time - The power came back on again after around 20 minutes without touching the GFI or circuit breaker.

Does anyone know if there is a thermal breaker somewhere in the system, and if so, where it would be located?

If there's no thermal breaker anywhere, are there any opinions on why this could be happening?

Thanks
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

I would start by looking at the power inlet and power cable. Assuming neither shows signs of damage try wiggling the cable to see if you lose power.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Hi I have had a similar thing on our 4788. I cant remember when or what I was doing but some AC power shut down. To fix it I switch the three main breakers inside the pilothouse door on my boat off and on again and this rectifies the problem. I too think there may be a thermal breaker.

Hope this helps
      Horizon 68
      Sydney

Comment

I don't have an answer, but I have a similar problem on my boat. If I put a large load on one of the outlets, for example a 1500 W electric heater, it will trip BOTH circuits. The polarity lights will go from green to red, the voltmeters will show zero and NOTHING 120VAC works, but no breakers will trip. I need to turn off the heater, wait about 20 minutes and switch the main breakers off and back on and everything is back to normal. I haven't figured this out yet, but sounds like a similar thermal breaker. Interestingly, both the 12,000 and 6,000 Btu A/C's can be on at the same time without a problem.

Comment

Working...
        X