Is there a carbon filter in a Vaccuflush?-gctid361906

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a carbon filter in a Vaccuflush?-gctid361906

I heard somewhere that there is a carbon filter in a Vaccuflush system.

Is this correct, if so where is the filter? Is it on the vaccume pump?

Is its job to filter the air the vacume pump evacuates to create the vacume?

Does anybody know the p/n of the ones they used on the 2001 4788?

Thanks

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

No, there is no carbon filter that's an intregal part of the vacuflush "machinery". Many systems do, however, have a carbon filter in the hose that vents the holding tank to the outside of the boat. If you have access to that hose, you should be able to tell in short order if there is a filter there. dr

Comment

My 47 had a filter on the vent for the holding tank. In the wet bar cabinet is a access panel that will let you get to the carbon filter on the vent as well as the vent fitting. If you have removed your holding tank and gone to a hold and treat system they may left the filter in the vent line. If your treating and discharging then would be no need for the filter. If that makes sense.

Comment

ksanders wrote:

1-I heard somewhere that there is a carbon filter in a Vaccuflush system.

2-Is this correct, if so where is the filter?

3-Is it on the vaccume pump?

4-Is its job to filter the air the vacume pump evacuates to create the vacume?

5-Does anybody know the p/n of the ones they used on the 2001 4788?

Thanks
        1- Yes - most Vacuflush installations use a granular activated charcoal (GAC) filter.

2 - I don't know on your vessel. Hopefully another owner will chime in.

3 - No

4 - No. It is in-line on the tank vent hose. When the pump pushes "stuff" into the tank, the air that is discharged from the tank is filtered for odour by the GAC filter.

5 -

http://"http://www.dometic.com/dae29...b55f647d.fodoc Scroll down to pg 28 for filter model numbers.

The system works OK without the filter installed. I made up a short length of clear tygon tube with garden hose fittings to serve as a jumper when the filter is out. I did this incase an over-fill plugged the GAC. Many people make their own out of DWV plumbing fittings and GAC from an fish/aquarium store.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'm just narrowing down items to get taken care of.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
          www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Mike is spot on. The Vacuflush moves much more air than a conventional flush and it moves it all at once. The air that is expelled in that which has been sitting on top of the black water in the holding take. It gets really, really ripe and its usually you neighbor that will bring to your attention that your carbon filter has expired.

They're about US $90 unless you build your own or cut your current one in half and refill the carbon with activated carbon from a tropical fish store. Then its only a few dollars.

Comment

The other option to eliminate the need for the filter is to go with an aerobic system, rather than anerobic. The vacuflush is actually helpful in this because it does suck so much air into the tank. You need to start with a well flushed tank or a new one as the chemicals most folks use kill the aerobic bacteria. Ideally you will have a couple vent hoses that are 1 1/2", one at each end of the tank. then add a little Odorloss treatment, available at Worst Marine. the more you flush the vacu flush, the better the aerobic system likes it and the less it will smell.

We live aboard and it works well for us, and our neighbors

Comment

I have a VacuFlush. It has a vent filter on the top of the tank. The filters are about $100 to replace. I elected to do a DIY recharge and it worked very well. I did this yesterday and tested and 'no odor'.

I saw this on CSR, so I'm stealing some pics, since I didn't take any.

1. Went to Home Depot and bought 2 fittings male and female for 2" PVC pipe, pipe glue and 3M Scotch Brite pads
                2. Went to Walmart and bought a jar of charcoal.

3. I took the filter out & Cut the filter in half

Empty the old pellets, and remove the sponge retainer pads by pushing them out from the ends.

4. Remove the label and clean with acetone.
                5. Glue male and female pipe fittings to the cut ends
                6. Cut 3M Scotch Brite pads to act as screens on the ends.
                7. Fill each half once the glue has dried (10 mins) and keep the threaded female side 2/3 empty so you can start and thread the male end in all the way.
                8. Place rigid cardboard or paper on top of the male side. Hold it so as you invert it the charcoal doesn't fall out.
                9. Remove the cardboard or paper to allow both sides to mate and screw in to tighten.
                10. Reinstall.

One difference in these pictures is that my vent has garden hose type fittings vs. the ones seen here.

Also if I were to do this again, I would cut the tube off center towards one end. There is a small strap on the top of the tank that holds the filter. I don't believe it will go anywhere but it would be nice to have it strap back in.

Comment

Nice Modification Todd.

I have one more note to offer if you are doing a vacuflush refit on an existing regular marine system. When you pump out with a regular toilet, you draw air in from the toilet when the holding tank is empty. I didn't think about this and the first time I pumped out my new vacuflush system, I collapsed the holding tank! The vent line is not large enough to handle the air movement thru the small 1/2"vent line. I 'popped' out the holding tank with the output of a shop vac, tested it for leaks by filling with water, and I got lucky- no leaks. I had a 1.5" molded fitting on the top of the holding tank, and I put a one way 1.5" irrigation check valve into this fitting.... works great, and no more problem with adequate venting. The valve uses a ping pong ball and is spring loaded... works better than the flapper vent valve on original installs.

Ken

Comment

Hi,

In my experience when I lived aboard with Vacuflush and vent hose carbon filter, I found it better to use a lot a holding tank deodorant without the fitler - so much there is never a smell. The filter will decrease the in rush of air when pumping the tank. I have heard that tanks can implode if there is a blockage and it also add one more expense and maintenance. Let the boat solve your surplus funds problem in other ways.

Pau

Comment

We have never had a carbon filter on our vacu flush and have not had any odour. We flush Canndure odour control (biological additive) down the toilet now and again, and use lots of water when flushing.

Comment

Working...
                      X