A Pleasant Surprise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Pleasant Surprise

Fully armed with Smitty's repair procedure, we lubed and serviced the davit crane on our 490 last weekend. To our surprise, rather than finding the nylon washers on top, and plain bearings inside the swivel, we discovered that the previous owner had modified the davit by adding a tapered roller bearing on the upper part of the swivel, and had retained the original design plain bearing at the lower part. Everything was cleaned and then lubricated with Super Lube (courtesy of SDC on this board).

The davit rotation was not a major issue before servicing, but we have just replaced our dinghy and the new one is around 695lbs which is heavier than the old one. The no load rotation is now very light, and rotation when loaded can be handled by one person.

What a pleasant surprise
    Last edited by Jim_Gandee; 04-29-2022, 09:15 PM.
    Rob
    Bayliner 5788
    'Merlin V'
    Vancouver BC

That bearing mod is what they did over at North Harbor Diesel to my boat.

Its nice to be able to launch and recover the skiff single handed!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

Comment

Rob, dredging up a very old post here hope you don't mind.

This week I removed my '05 490 davit winch for rebuild. Since it was out figured I may as well service and lubricate the davit. It was swinging ok but better safe than sorry, right?

With Smitty's repair procedure in hand I was confident until I discovered there were no nylon washers but a tapered bearing. I'm not sure if the previous owner added bearings as a modification, or if Meridian started including this in later models. Doesn't matter because either way I'm stuck.

There are 2 pieces to the tapered roller bearing. One is a "stepped" stainless collar that fits together with the tapered roller bearing. I've been able to remove the tapered roller bearing but not the collar, which is still inside the cylinder part of the base.

There is a black collar pressed into the cylinder base (picture with 1 finger) and the "block" at the top (picture with 2 fingers).

My question is how did you remove the collar from the cylinder for cleaning and re-lube? Press out the black collar or remove the white square block attached by 12 hex bolts?

Thanks,
      Sean

Click image for larger version  Name:	490 davit base1 Large.jpg Views:	4 Size:	155.5 KB ID:	644683 Click image for larger version  Name:	490 davit base2 Large.jpg Views:	4 Size:	278.3 KB ID:	644680 Click image for larger version  Name:	490 davit base3 Large.jpg Views:	4 Size:	172.5 KB ID:	644679 Click image for larger version  Name:	490 davit base4 Large.jpg Views:	4 Size:	156.8 KB ID:	644684 Click image for larger version  Name:	490 davit base5 Large.jpg Views:	4 Size:	338.8 KB ID:	644681
      Attached Files
      2005 Meridian 490
      Tacoma, WA

Comment

Wow, that is an old post - I struggle to remember what I did yesterday, never mind what I did in 2013!

Reflecting on the updated davit top bearing, my first thought was that the original owner had it modified, however, I now believe that this modification was more likely to have been one of the upgrades during the transition from Bayliner to Meridian.

To the best of my recollection, the collar inside of the housing was not removed, but the bearing itself was cleaned up, lubricated and re-used. Don't forget, that the lower fibrous bearing cannot come into contact with any petroleum based lubricants, otherwise the fibers swell and prevent rotation. You will need 'Super Lube' or a similar food grade grease.

I'm not sure that your question has been fully answered, but I hope this helps.
        Rob
        Bayliner 5788
        'Merlin V'
        Vancouver BC

Comment

I know, posted nearly a decade ago! Yes your reply is very helpful thank you. Relieved to hear the lower black fibrous bearing doesn't come out. Looks like it would be destroyed if attempted to remove...

Today I may try and take off the square head to get the stainless collar trapped inside and make cleaning easier.

Understood on the non-petroleum lube, I have the 'superlube'.
          2005 Meridian 490
          Tacoma, WA

Comment

🤭🤭. When I started reading the posts, I was thinking “Robs got a 5788” - yes an old post indeed!

When I did mine, I had lower bearing drilled out a few thousands of an inch by a machine shop vs hand sanding. Removal I think wouldn’t have worked and as you say, likely end up having to fashion a replacement!

Cheers
            John H
            Brisbane QLD Aust
            "Harbor-nating"

2000 - 4788/Cummins 370's

Comment

Here are some pictures in case anyone wanted to see what things look like after you remove the 12 hex bolts holding the square head.

The lower black fibrous bearing and stainless tapered bearing are separate and not touching.

So now my dilemma is whether to use non-petrol lube (e.g. SuperLube) on both, or only for the lower black fibrous cylinder and a standard marine grease on the stainless tapered bearing.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0970.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	646184 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0974.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	646185 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0971.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	646186 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0972.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	646187
              2005 Meridian 490
              Tacoma, WA

Comment

I would go wiyh superlube for all bearings. While there is a load on the bearing, it is so slow moving tha it should be fine, this avoids any issue with cross contamination.

James
                1989 Bayliner 3888, 175 Hinos,
                Hurth 630's Onan 8kw MDKD
                Lowrance Electronics!
                Boating on Georgian Bay & the North Channel
                Completed the Great Loop 07/25/19
                AGLCA #8340
                MTOA# 7469

Comment

Never use any petroleum-based products near these nylocron bearings - please don't spray any 'lubes' near the outside assembly and do not use petroleum-based waxes and sealers around the base when installed.
                  Northport NY

Comment

Agreed not worth the potential cross contamination. Super-lube it is! Thanks
                    2005 Meridian 490
                    Tacoma, WA

Comment

Working...
                    X