Vancouver / Vancouver Island Info needed.-gctid359832

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vancouver / Vancouver Island Info needed.-gctid359832

We a contemplating a larger (50') boat. I won't be able to trailer anymore, and because we only are onboard every other year, she will have to be moored for 19 months at a time. I prefer to be on the hard, and Anacortes WA would be a perfect fit with the exception that their governor insists that I pay sales / use tax to the tune of ~9%.

Ain't gonna happen.

So my question is: are there any yards that have long term, secure, on the hard storage in the Vancouver or so. Van Isl area?

Thanks Bill
    Bill
    1993 3888 with Hino 210s
    2005 Selene 55

http://www.lionsgatemarina.com/
    1989 26' then 1994 32' now 2001 39'

Comment

Sidney, B.C. vanislemarina.com and canoecovemarina.com Van Isle would be the best choice as it has a locked yard where canoe cove is open with security cameras.

Steve

Comment

I think there is a rule that requires Americans mooring boats in Canada to bring them back into the US periodically (either six months or year) as I recall. With your extended down time you may look into it. Rick
        Rick
        2002, 3788

Comment

You could put her into a charter
          Allan
          1986 - 3870
          175 Hinos
          Moored in Ladysmith BC

Comment

The rule is bring them back into the US for one day annually.

Comment

A lot of US boaters do this and make the annual day trip to Roche Harbor.
              Started boating 1965
              Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

I think in the long run you'll still have to pay the piper one one side of the border or the other. Call or email Kevin in Roche harbor. He's the Harbormaster and I'm sure knows the 411. He has a ton of boats registered out of state, but I don't know if any have avoided the sales tax. [email protected] or call 800.586.3590

Best of luck!

Comment

There are a few letters to the editor in the March NorthWest Yachting about Washington tax: http://nwyachting.com/cgi-bin/index.pl?sec=letters

Comment

Storing a large power boat on the dry for long periods is harder on the structure than leaving it in the water. There are many yacht service people in Victoria, Ladysmith, and Nanaimo who will look after your vessel for you while in the water during extended periods when you are away. The added benefit is that by establishing a relationship with a full serviuce marina including a mechanical service, you can easily step on board when you return, and the boat can be serviced and ready for you.

Comment

Nakalat wrote:
                      Storing a large power boat on the dry for long periods is harder on the structure than leaving it in the water.
                      Says who and by what measure?

Costs will favor dry stored v. wet

Maintenance will be lower costs (no diver, bottom paint lasts almost forever, zincs every 2-3yrs) and you can do below waterline service any time you like.

Blisters (if there are any) will go away with no intervention

Properly blocked there should be no impact to a FRP boat being dry for extended periods. I keep mine out of the water supported fully along the keel and two pads in the rear. Every door and hatch fits exactly the same in the water or out of it. For giggles I checked what my shaft alignment did in v. out of the water - no changes.
                      1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                      1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                      Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Incommunicado wrote:
                        We a contemplating a larger (50') boat. I won't be able to trailer anymore, and because we only are onboard every other year, she will have to be moored for 19 months at a time. I prefer to be on the hard, and Anacortes WA would be a perfect fit with the exception that their governor insists that I pay sales / use tax to the tune of ~9%.

Ain't gonna happen.

So my question is: are there any yards that have long term, secure, on the hard storage in the Vancouver or so. Van Isl area?

Thanks Bill
                        Are you saying that a boat you own prior to mooring in Washington will be taxed 9%. Or are referring to Use tax paid for buying a boat in Washington for use in Washington State.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. Canadian moorage on the hard seems to be approx. twice the price as Anacortes, but that is probably the way we will go if we do in fact go larger.

Kwb, I must say that I agree with you. Incommunicado has been stored on a trailer for approx. 16 years, with zero ill effects, at least that I can find.

Todd, I think that I "pay the Piper" enough, just don't want to pay your piper. I am not a resident of Washington, have no business interests in Washington, and other then possibly storing a boat, or presently launching a boat in Olympia, I do not cruse in Washington waters, only use the waterway to head north to Canada & Alaska. I have business interest in both Oregon & Montana where I pay state income tax. I also have a residence in Montana and Wyoming. Washington will give me no credit for state income tax paid, and Wyoming sales tax is › of Washington's. If I store a motorhome in Washington & don't use it, the state tax collector will not bother me. If I drive that motorhome in Washington, I don't need to pay Washington Use tax. Their motto seems to be tax the boat guy. Like I said, Ain't gonna happen, at least not from me.

"Are you saying that a boat you own prior to mooring in Washington will be taxed 9%. "

Scary, that's how it was explained to me. If sales tax has been paid, Washington will give credit for that tax. If the tax that you paid is less than Washington's they want the difference.

The two boats that we are looking at one is in Oregon, the other is in Washington. If you read the Washington laws, they say "used in Washington waters" or "on Washington waters".

No one will give me a definitive answer if "on the hard" is the same as "on the water".

Does "The watercraft must leave Washington waters within forty-five days of delivery;" mean that on the hard has left Washington waters.

Pam & I are still talking, it is she wants the bigger boat, I see it as a bigger hassle.

Thanks again for all of your help

Bill
                          Bill
                          1993 3888 with Hino 210s
                          2005 Selene 55

Comment

Working...
                          X