Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel consumption stats for 4087, 3988, 3788 with Cummins 250, 270, 350 at hull speed-gctid358113

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel consumption stats for 4087, 3988, 3788 with Cummins 250, 270, 350 at hull speed-gctid358113

I've been looking for fuel consumption info for models 4087, 3988 and 3788 with cummins diesels. Any info on consumption at hull speed and optimal cruising speed would be helpful.

We have a 4087 with Cummins 250s- I don't have hard numbers, but I will say the boat absolutely sips fuel at hull append below 7 knots, cruises nicely at 15, and will top 24 while draining the tanks as fast as possible. Flowscans are on my short list......

Comment

At 8 knots my 3988 uses 16 liters per hour.

Comment

I presume 16 liters per hour is for both engines combined. That's pretty efficient. What engines do you have? And what are your likes/dislikes about the 3988? I am going to look at a couple of 3988s with diesels to replace my 1988 Carver 32.

Comment

My 3870 with 2 GM 350's gets per Flo Scan 1 MPG at 7.5-8 knots, both engines running, my props are way under pitched, have a new set for next summer, I do carry a heavy load when commercial fishing on it, equiv. of 8 168 qt coolers of flake ice or fish/ice.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
            My 3870 with 2 GM 350's gets per Flo Scan 1 MPG at 7.5-8 knots, both engines running, my props are way under pitched, have a new set for next summer, I do carry a heavy load when commercial fishing on it, equiv. of 8 168 qt coolers of flake ice or fish/ice.
            Weight at hull speed or below really is a small player in fuel consumption. I didn't know you were running gas rigs. If your not running throttle body or common rail injection you should consider the benefits. I believe you will see big fuel savings at slow speed over carburetors. When I re powered my 2855 with a 7.4 bravo 2 with carburetor to a Vortec 7.4 with common rail injection the low speed fuel savings was the biggest improvement realized. This was based on flow scan fuel consumption. With the 7.4 carburetor my slow speed fuel mileage was around 1.6 kmpg with the vortec it jumped to over 4kmpg. Another plus instant starts.

Comment

I am reluctant to spend the money for new fuel induction system as I am trying to sell the boat, as I said, I am way under propped. I am going up in pitch with 2 new DJX props, probably will still be a little under pitched, but I could not resist the $350.00 for 2 new 3 blade Michigan Wheel nibral DJX props. I will sell the 2 year old existing props and look for another good deal on Ebay.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I can understand that!

Comment

This is a project boat, I bought it about 15 years ago as a salvage boat, it sat under water for 1 week in January because it was too cold (Alaska), it was raised and the ins. co. could not determin why it sunk, they filled the boat with water and it was a dripless packing failure. The ins. co had a salvage co. in NY sell the boat, they placed the ad in the Juneau paper, the boat was in Seward, well I bid $1200.00 and won, it was a very long project, but I lived on it while re-furbishing it. 2008 I repowered after years of wiring, and frig, and heating system, ect.

Installed 2 new gas 350 GM truck block engines with marine cam, and it does everything a boat should do. I am 67 and it is time to move on, a small summer house in NC, smokie mountains area is next, salmon will be caught in the great lakes, but I will miss the halibut fishing and the great views of the Seward, AK area.

I have caught more fish than a man could ever dream of, I am spoiled when it comes to fishing out of Seward.

I have a friend that is a very good charter boat captain, he will get all my fishing holes, all 23 years of them.

Enough rambling on, I will miss my boat/summer home!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                  X