Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been?-gctid442537

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been?-gctid442537

For a lack of a better place to put this since 17's to 55's can do the loop, I thought I'd start a series of loop threads. It's like advanced living aboard. It's 250 days of planning ahead, dealing with issues and being able to make them work out with minimal issues.

First in the list is "have you been?" Are you planning to go soon?

We are in the planning stage of departing May and returning in December from the Eastern Shore of MD. We'd like to be in SC for a family TDay, but that is pretty fuzzy, so no set aspect that way.

I have a sister that lives just off the Erie in Rochester, so its "go west" to see her then back up to the lake since the 45 won't clear the bridge farther on.

We'd like to pin in some locals on the way (Sorry JeffW, too far west to see you) but maybe match names to faces to boats.

So in this first thread, tell us about your trip or your near term plan (even if it's part of the loop)

• Technomadia
    replied
    "green650" post=808786 wrote:

Are you going to cut across thru Lake Okeechobee or go down thru the keys?!
    If the lake levels are high enough, we'll be aiming to do Lake Okeechobee. I think we'll spend 4-5 days crossing, but I haven't worked out the trip planning yet.

Cheers,

- Chris.

Leave a comment:

• green650
    replied
    "Technomadia" post=808272 wrote:
    Indeed we have started - we've made it from Punta Gorda, FL to Ft. Myers so far - 48.8nm.

We'll have a blog post up soon detailing the first leg of our trip.

So far we are loving boat life!

Cheers,

- Chris
    Are you going to cut across thru Lake Okeechobee or go down thru the keys?

I'm curious how long it is to get across. I just bought a canal house in Cape Coral and plan to cruise to the Bahamas frequently for scuba adventures. First, must find boat!

Leave a comment:

• Checks_Five-Oh
    replied
    Glad to hear it. We are still two years away, but really looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• Technomadia
    replied
    Indeed we have started - we've made it from Punta Gorda, FL to Ft. Myers so far - 48.8nm.

We'll have a blog post up soon detailing the first leg of our trip.

So far we are loving boat life!

Cheers,

- Chris

Leave a comment:

• Checks_Five-Oh
    replied
    Hi Chris,

Just checking in to see how the trip is going so far, or have you started?

Leave a comment:

• Technomadia
    replied
    We are gearing up to spend the next several years slowly working our way around the loop in our newly purchased 4788, spending the other half of each year living in our vintage bus conversion.

We blogged about our general plans here.

We are in Punta Gorda, FL now for at least the next month (we just picked up the boat Friday and have a LOT to learn!) - and we probably will be in FL for many months after, maybe starting with the Little Loop through the Okeechobee and down to the Keys.

It would be awesome to meet up with some other BOC members as we travel. If you see us in your area, reach out and say hi.

Cheers all!

- Chris

Leave a comment:

• oldcrow
    replied
    yes that was me.we are in wabashene for the winter.we live in Barrie

Leave a comment:

• Terry_J
    replied
    "oldcrow" post=789277 wrote:
    we plan on starting the loop this july (2017) starting from Midland in georgian bay have been boating this are for 40 years,need a change We have a 1984 3870

called Crow's Nest.
    Are you out of Bay Moorings ? Green trim with an extension ? We had our small boat there for the winter, saw yours on the hard. I think someone said you have BMW diesels ?

Terry

Leave a comment:

• Foster
    replied
    That will be a great boat!! If you haven't joined yet, sign up for the America's Great Loop Cruising Association. When you get to the Northern Chesapeake in Spring 2018 let me know, we host lots of Loopers every year.

(Slightly jealous of your home waters, we loved the Canada part of the Loop the best)

Leave a comment:

• oldcrow
    replied
    we plan on starting the loop this july (2017) starting from Midland in georgian bay have been boating this are for 40 years,need a change We have a 1984 3870

called Crow's Nest.

Leave a comment:

• Checks_Five-Oh
    replied
    Would love to know more about your loop experience with the 3988. We are in the early stages of planning from Newfoundland. Did you create a blog by chance?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    We did the Loop from October 2013 to August 2014. Many took more time but we did everything we wanted. And it was a great trip. In 2015 we left Starved Rock Marina to head down the Illinois to the Miss. We cruised the Miss up to M-SP and then to NOLA. Don't be afraid of the Lower Miss. I guess you want to make sure you can make 500 miles. We have a 3988 and not had any problems we didn't cause ourselves. (bent prop). The stop a Greeville MS was great. They only charged us $25 a night and the fuel was just like other marinas.

Leave a comment:

• Dadrock33
    replied
    +1 on the Active Captain information and website . . .. definitely the best program / app / website (besides this one!!) that I have ever found . . . should be a mandatory add-on for everyone as it uses crowd sourcing information to make it the best . . . :woohoo:

we might like to try the Loop too but need a bigger boat than what we have now. . . . we'll be living aboard at that time too.

Leave a comment:

• mergansergbyc
    replied
    Doing the loop I know a couple of boaters who have done it. Unfortunately I am not one. There is a site/membership (FREE) that you need to get yourself involved with . Active Captain. Check out the website for yourself. Here is the link: https://activecaptain.com/X.php

Have a great trip.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X