Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been?-gctid442537

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing the loop - 1/2 between summer and liveaboard - who is going, who has been?-gctid442537

For a lack of a better place to put this since 17's to 55's can do the loop, I thought I'd start a series of loop threads. It's like advanced living aboard. It's 250 days of planning ahead, dealing with issues and being able to make them work out with minimal issues.

First in the list is "have you been?" Are you planning to go soon?

We are in the planning stage of departing May and returning in December from the Eastern Shore of MD. We'd like to be in SC for a family TDay, but that is pretty fuzzy, so no set aspect that way.

I have a sister that lives just off the Erie in Rochester, so its "go west" to see her then back up to the lake since the 45 won't clear the bridge farther on.

We'd like to pin in some locals on the way (Sorry JeffW, too far west to see you) but maybe match names to faces to boats.

So in this first thread, tell us about your trip or your near term plan (even if it's part of the loop)
    Yep, my 4588 Bayliner IS my happy place :whistle:

I've enjoyed boating on the Mississippi, been north to the quad cities & south to dardenne slough area. Planning another trip north this year but starting to think instead go farther south to the Tennessee river. Another trip I'ld like is up the Illinois river to Chicago & Lake Michigan. Eventually I'ld like to go down the Mississippi to Memphis & maybe farther south. The problem is lack of marinas on the lower Mississippi, also at this time lack of water. If I was you I'ld stay south till spring instead of going back home in December, maybe leave the boat & go home for the holidays.
    Capt. Ron.
    "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
    "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
    1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
    Hino EH700
    Westerbeke 8.0
    1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
    on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

Capt Ron

We live in Buffalo and there are at least 2 47's here that do the western Erie all the time. If you can remove your radar from your arch you should be able to clear all the bridges. You will have at least 15.5' clearance on all the bridges and most are in the 16-17' range.

We hope to do the loop in a few years in our Mainship trawler, so far we have done the entire Erie and south to NYC as well as north to Lake Champlain.

Ping me if you need info on the western end of the Erie or Buffalo area. Would be happy to show you around this summer if you make it past Rochester. By the way, the lowest bridge on the Erie is well east of Rochester in Clyde, NY. So if you are planning on going to Rochester, you will need to clear the low bridges.

-Ron

Comment

We are up in the North Channel of Georgian Bay (a major destination for Loopers)...Little Current to be exact. Will keep an eye out for you if you let us know via this thread that you are getting close.

Comment

Spitfire wrote:
          We are up in the North Channel of Georgian Bay (a major destination for Loopers)...Little Current to be exact. Will keep an eye out for you if you let us know via this thread that you are getting close.
          We boat the same area. Most I have talked with who have done the Loop say this area is the best part of the trip. Plan to spend as much time as possible in the area. You will not be disappointed. July and August are the best months and still allow time to get out of the Great lakes before weather gets uncomfortable.

Doug
          Started boating 1955
          Number of boats owned 32
          Bayliners
          3870 presently owned
          Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Comment

Hi...we are going to start the loop around March 1st from Miami. Other than a 350 mile trip to bring the boat home after the purchase we a basically local boater in south Florida. The loop will certainly be an adventure for us. Boating is easy down here with little current or tides to deal with! Still have lots to do to get the boat ready for safe and comfortable looping. Only have a few planned stops in FL, GA and SC along the way. Other than that we are flexible and just going to enjoy the ride. Maybe we will run into each other along the way and we would love to hear about the attractions in your area.

Comment

Plan to spend as much time as you can in Canada, it was the best part of our trip. I'm in the upper Chesapeake on the Bohemia river, let me know when you are going to be close.

Comment

The Canadian leg does sound great especially only having the Florida boating experience as our reference. I would like to throw this out there to this group and probably should throw it out to the AGLCA bloggers as well...I never hear much about fishing while looping and the ins and outs of out-of-towners fishing in another's waters. I assume it is state by state licensing and enforcement. In most places it would just be throwing a line out while at anchor but in others we would like to spend some time fishing. Would love to hear someone speak to that.

Comment

We got licenses for Canada and the Admiral got licenses for states we were going to be in awhile. (She into fishing, I'm into catching)

Our mode was at every place we stopped to ask the local people where to go. Lots of great people gave us locations and what bait/lure to fish with. In a few cases we got the location and was given a lure to try. In most cases we had to pinky-swear we wouldn't tell anyone. :whistle:

http://qvmarine.com/general/fish-tales/

http://qvmarine.com/uncategorized/fish-tales-redux/

We were never disappointed with the spots we were given. I even learned how to troll on the 4588, use only one engine at idle and to troll off the non-running side. She caught a few that way.

Comment

Doing the loop I know a couple of boaters who have done it. Unfortunately I am not one. There is a site/membership (FREE) that you need to get yourself involved with . Active Captain. Check out the website for yourself. Here is the link: https://activecaptain.com/X.php

Have a great trip.

Comment

+1 on the Active Captain information and website . . .. definitely the best program / app / website (besides this one!!) that I have ever found . . . should be a mandatory add-on for everyone as it uses crowd sourcing information to make it the best . . . :woohoo:

we might like to try the Loop too but need a bigger boat than what we have now. . . . we'll be living aboard at that time too.
                      1998 Avanti 3685 - "Dad's Dream" w 454 Mercs - just a rockin' an'a rollin'
                      Former - "Home Aweigh" 2003 - 2452 Bayliner Cierra Classic Hardtop Cruiser
                      WQQM835 MMSI: 338147209
                      James H. Stradling

Comment

We did the Loop from October 2013 to August 2014. Many took more time but we did everything we wanted. And it was a great trip. In 2015 we left Starved Rock Marina to head down the Illinois to the Miss. We cruised the Miss up to M-SP and then to NOLA. Don't be afraid of the Lower Miss. I guess you want to make sure you can make 500 miles. We have a 3988 and not had any problems we didn't cause ourselves. (bent prop). The stop a Greeville MS was great. They only charged us $25 a night and the fuel was just like other marinas.

Comment

Would love to know more about your loop experience with the 3988. We are in the early stages of planning from Newfoundland. Did you create a blog by chance?

Comment

we plan on starting the loop this july (2017) starting from Midland in georgian bay have been boating this are for 40 years,need a change We have a 1984 3870

called Crow's Nest.
                            1984 3870 bayliner

Comment

That will be a great boat!! If you haven't joined yet, sign up for the America's Great Loop Cruising Association. When you get to the Northern Chesapeake in Spring 2018 let me know, we host lots of Loopers every year.

(Slightly jealous of your home waters, we loved the Canada part of the Loop the best)

Comment

Working...
                              X