Glad this is my last winter in Alaska

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad this is my last winter in Alaska

I got up this morning happy! Why??? Because this is my last Alaskan winter.

Think about this...

Right now we are at approximately our normal temperatures. Lows in the 20's and 30's and highs in the 30's and 40's. That is October weather in Coastal Alaska. Interior Alaska is colder yet.

I looked at the weather forecast for Southern California and it is looking like highs in the 70's and lows in the 40's and 50's.

I cannot wait!!! While I truly enjoy our Alaskan summers, the reality from my boat mounted weather station is that our High Temperature in Seward Alaska this summer was 62. Yep we made 62 on three days this summer.

So... our best day this year is below average during the coldest Southern California month.

I am making sure my boat is in tip top condition, and am taking a December vacation to La Paz to get out of the cold and hunt fore the best Taco.

I hope you all are someplace warm and sunny!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 DOS PECES - SEWARD ALASKA

Whats the weather like on the boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where am I right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/2R02

It was about 80* in inland SoCal yesterday. Blue sky and very comfortable! Problem is the politics which we won’t discuss on these forums. And who wants to really, when we could be out on our boats enjoying the beautiful conditions!
    I do however, very much enjoy not having to winterize ANYTHING on my boat and I use it year round!
    Jim Gandee
    1989 3888
    Hino 175's
    Fire Escape
    [email protected]
    Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

Jim the most perfect weather in the world...

Hardly ever hot, almost never cold, moderate to little cloud cover, and reasonable humidity is in the region starting at Monterey California and extending to the Ensenada area.

80 is very reasonable, especially as it cools off at night. it is 36 right now here.

I have a little floating home with a million dollar view

Thank goodness I budgeted for a healthy cruising kitty. Transient moorage is available but the costs are high at between about $75 and $150 a night depending on the location.

In private marinas I might be able to negotiate a months berthing for a reduced rate but that is just a guess. Go accross the border and in Ensenada I can get a berth for less than $600 for a month, or $750 if I want to stay at a 4 star resort.

Go South to La Paz or any of the ports on the Mexican Riveria and it's about a thousand a month for a great slip with no stayaboard rules. Exploring those areas in the winter is intriguing.

We'll have to see how this progresses.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Socal... I get to hang around there regularly around the LAX airport. It has some interesting spots. Playa Del Rey, short walk from the huge marina in Del Rey is a small community with a hgh vibe in a corner between beach, airport and canal / wild life sanctuary. El Segundo. Stuck between a noisy airport, a smelly oil refinery and a stinky waste water plant would be a ghetto anywhere else. Not this town. No thrash, no grafitty, nice houses, expensive cars, a park that takes up several blocks, restaurants where you have to wait forever (like nobody cooks at home) and dogs are more than welcome!. Some even have a dog menu... RAD electric utility bikes are everywhere. The average sized American is a little less common than anywhere else, which makes things easier on the eyes. A shack costs a million bucks. I have no idea what these people do for a living, I could not afford it. Their taxes are probably sky high, but so is the standard of living, their taxes pay for a lot of cool stuff. The whole area has more of a European athmosphere.

It was indeed 80 degrees, surprisingly as in July, August it was 65 and cloudy all day long when the marine fog layer got sucked to the coast. i made the 3 mile walk to the beach. People riding (almost flying) their electric bikes up and down the hills, kids in tow, surfboard strapped to the side, no helmets, people walking, running. The beach trail ( a meandering paved trail on the beach that seems to go on forever) was extremely busy with folks riding (electric) bikes, rental bikes ( there are bike rental stations n the beach), inline skates and even a group of 55 (!) one-wheeled board riders. Out on the calm water the supertankers that are normally there had left overnight. Many little boats going towards Catalina Island, and on the horizon 5 (out of 30(?) containerships at anchor. Little whales, dolphins, dive-bombing pelicans.
        A walk south past the oil refinery and there is Manhatten Beach, an equally vibrant little city. Problem with this lifestyle is that if something bad happens ( simple illness) there is no catchnet, and you are sleeping in the park in a tent in notime, which is also evident in many places. (Anchorage, Alaska is a good example, homeless everywhere, you'll fall over them if you don't watch your step)
        Maybe not everybody agrees with the politics in California, but some rules and regulations that got started in California improved life for all of us. Emission standards for cars and power equipment is one of them. The 1980's smog (and associated health problems) is gone, water quality is better. Almost all the high tech got started on the west coast. Microsoft, Google, Oracle, IBM, Apple, thanks to innovating universities. And now an entire new generation of technology is sprouting up here, like uber and big gaming companies. None of these companies are based in West Virginia, Kenrucky, Alabama, states with laws and regulations that would be more enticing to industry.
        Some people might not like the politics in Ca, it seems the majority is ok with it. And if you don't like it, you can always leave (so I have been told).
        1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
        5.8L OMC Cobra
        2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
        Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

I am sitting on my boat tonight and the temperature is close to 40 with a bit of a north breeze. Like many Alaskans since its not below zero the bbq is roaring away.

I'm pondering the enormity of what I am undertaking. Warm weather is three thousand sea miles away, and after flipping and flopping all around I am pretty confident that this will be a solo trip.

I'm planning on departing Seward as soon as the weather breaks for spring, sometime in early May. This will make for a very leisurely trip. My thought is to take a month to reach Washington state and leave the Puget Sound area by the last week in July. I do not want to feel rushed.

The goal is to be in SOCAL sometime in September, rest up and tackle the Baja on November 1st. I am considering joining the CUBAR rally because of the social aspect but I am not sure. I really want to take more time to explore the Baja coast and the CUBAR rally is pretty fast paced.

My first winter I am planning on parking the boat in La Paz and am flying there right after christmas for a couple of weeks to check out the town and see if I'm on the right track. I'll be visiting all three marinas and if it looks like berthing will be tight I might even reserve a slip for the 6 month period Nov-April.

Looking at the adventure from here to san Diego I have looked at harbors anf think that for the most part I can find transient berthing. Costs will be high, and I figure that I'll be spending between three and four thousand a month on slip fees alone during this time.

My thought is except for ther Alaska to Washington portion to move the boat on average twice a week at around a hundred miles each move, but that is of course dependent on how much I I like a particular place and weather constraints. I know I cannot see everything but I will be keeping as good record of harbors I like, so I can pick and choose where to explore in depth.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Well A hardy welcome fellow Alaskan! I had to leave Alaska reluctantly due to health. Living in Georgia power but will always consider Alaska home. Yeah, the weather is cold and long; the nights to but the atmosphere is almost unexplainable. Thought that if I ever left Alaska it would be on a boat that I built but sadly no. Are you going to be living in Washington as home or are you going to be traveling further South?

Comment

Originally posted by navidave95 View Post
              Well A hardy welcome fellow Alaskan! I had to leave Alaska reluctantly due to health. Living in Georgia power but will always consider Alaska home. Yeah, the weather is cold and long; the nights to but the atmosphere is almost unexplainable. Thought that if I ever left Alaska it would be on a boat that I built but sadly no. Are you going to be living in Washington as home or are you going to be traveling further South?
              I am a stayaboard chasing mild weather and adventure.

Winters further south. San Diego? Mexico? I do not know.

The goal is to wear shorts and flip flops for a year and then see what life brings.

Yesterday I shoveled snow on the dock. I am just not interested in doing that as my elder years exercise.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Working...
              X