retirement plans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

retirement plans

Hello all, new to the forum and looking for input, info and criticism if needed.
    One of my dreams has always been to live on a boat of some sort, however, my wife is not so much excited about the prospect of being in constant motion, if you know what i mean.
    With my wife being three years younger and the way our retirement plans will evolve, I am looking at having a couple years off work before she is able to join me. So in support of my dream, she has suggested that we purchase a boat large enough for me to live on and also cruise from northwest Washington to Alaska up the inside passage. So herein lies the first challenge and question of sorts;
    I would be mainly on the boat by myself. The first thing that comes to mind would be a medical emergency of some sort. Being by myself, probably not the best scenario.
    The next thing would be some sort of mechanical failure. I am a very mechanically inclined person but sometimes there are just situations where you need two people to get the job done.

So, we have owned four bayliners up to this point so when we started talking about a larger boat I naturally leaned toward bayliner. We looked at a 3288 that was absolutely large enough for one person to live on but there were a couple things we noted that led us to look at other options. So the next model we looked at on line is the 3888, and that one seemed to have everything we think would make a liveaboard more liveable. Another aspect of this whole plan is that I will spend as much time aboard the boat that I possibly can in the year or two between when i retire and when my wife does. Hopefully the whole liveaboard thing will then be somewhat out of my system and when my wife reaches retirement we can then sell the boat and live happily ever after!, which begs the question, what if i'm attached to the boat and dont want to part ways? In my wifes words "you mean what if you love the boat more than me?" I guess we'll cross that bridge....

In researching the motor yachts of bayliner, I have decided that it must have twin diesel engines. I dont think i would be happy with chevy v8s in a boat this size. The hino diesels sound to me like the best option for a lot of reasons but if when it comes time to actually purchase a boat if I run across one with perkins or cummins power, I think I would be just as pleased. I know that bayliner did not probably install cummins or perkins but I have read a few articles about people repowering their vessels for one reason or another.

I have always thought it would be a fun trip to take a boat from lewiston ID down the mighty columbia to astoria but never thought about going any further until recent. I have been to southeast alaska a few times and have always thought that exploring that area would also be a pretty amazing way to spend a summer. So one thing leads to another in my head and like you all can probably imagine, I cant help but try and put the two together, set off from lewiston...down the big river, hit the pacific and head north! North to Alaska!

Now I must admit, sometimes I don't think things completely through before I start trying to make things happen but my wife is on board with this whole idea and being very supportive.
    In reality, it will be a few years till I am able to actually purchase the boat as I dont want to pay for moorage just to have a boat sitting in wait.
    If anybody has any suggestions or ideas or input, please let me know.

Thanks again,

I posted this in "boaters on the go" also, just thought id put it out there on this forum for more exposure

Wow, what and interesting predicament. I have several questions, and since our boat is much smaller 2859, I'll defer the choice of boat to others. Just to be sure I understand correctly, after you retire, you plan on getting the cruising bug out of your system and sell the boat? Question 1: What if you haven't got the cruising desire out of your system, and the wifey wants you to sell the boat? Would she enjoy cruising after her retirement? If so, purchase a boat with which she will be happy. Men can usually get along fine in most boat configurations, but the Admirals have definite likes and dislikes. 2: While you're doing your thing, wifey will be working and holding down the fort? If she goes along with that plan, I'm impressed. My Admiral would say don't worry about coming home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 3: Since you've had numerous boats before the one you anticipate purchasing, you know the likelihood of some repair or upgrades that will be needed. If you plan on selling after 3-4 yrs, will you be able to recoup on your investment? Perhaps the boat used boat market may slow in 3-4 years. You have an interesting situation. Congrats on retiring soon. I retired 4.5 yrs ago and am just getting used to it. I love retirement. Prior to retiring, one of my older clients told me that after retiring, be sure to something worthwhile every day. Sage advice. Please keep us posted on your decisions. Good luck.
    "Del-Sea"
    "98, 2859
    7.4 Mercruiser, B II
    Ferndale, WA. USA

Comment

Thanks for the response.
      To answer your questions, NO. My wife would not enjoy cruising in her retirement which produces the first possible problem should I absolutely love cruising.
      Yes, my wife would be holding down the fort in my absence. We have been going over a long list of chores that she will have to learn how to accomplish on her own or hire someone to do them.
      Lastly, the boat market? Who really knows what this screwy world will bring us between now and then and during the time that we actually own the boat? I know it is a big risk to plan on only owning a boat for a couple years but life is full of risks. There is the old saying about not regretting the things you have done but regretting the things you didn't! I believe in that to an extent and wouldnt risk our life savings to experience one thing in life but am willing to give what it takes to try some things.
      I understand that owning a boat requires maintenance and upkeep and sometimes that can be costly, but we figure if we buy in good shape and I keep it in good shape we should get most of our purchase amount out of it when we decide to sell. I know there is going to be money invested that we never see again, but that is part of owning a boat...any boat.
      I don't think we would ever take action on a plan like this expecting that we would come out ahead financially, or maybe after a couple more years of planning we might just decide to not do it at all. Thats why I thought everyone on this sight might have some input or ideas that We are not considering that would point us in the right direction, as I said, sometimes i don't think things all the way through before I try to make things happen.
      I'm sure there are aspects to this plan that some people would think insane, but those are the things that i'm hoping people bring to my attention as maybe it will help me see a different point of view.
      I'm always open to input from experienced cruisers.
      thanks again

Comment

Sometimes people really like what they think they would not like and other times people really dislike what they thought they would love. Most of the time these changes come about due to experience and in this case you own all the cards. I live in a neighborhood on the water and watch this play out every day. A family will buy a boat and the husband yells at his wife anytime anything goes wrong (think docking), does not communicate what is going to happen, and then expects her to read his mind, and he will plan trips that interest him and ignore her wants completely. As should be expected the wife ends up hating boating and the husband cannot figure out why. If you have not done so already sit down and assess your boating and see if any of these things are a fit (I know you were not looking for someone to suggest introspection but occasionally we all need a good kick in the ass to get us out of our ditches).

On to the boat. I just bought a larger boat and went from a Monterey 322 to a Bayliner 4085. Ten feet does not sound like a lot but it provides an amazing amount of room. We no longer run into each other in the gally and have 2 queen beds. More importantly, we also have twin diesels (new long blocks) and they are 6BTA Cummins with no electronics. I can get parts in just about any place I stop and except for the few specific marine adaptations, any jackleg mechanic that can work on a Dodge diesel pickup can work on my engines. I agree 100% with you that you need to be diesel-powered but you may want to reconsider your brand of that diesel propulsion after looking at parts availability, cost of those parts, and the number of certified mechanics in the places you and your wife might want to cruse.

The next question I have for you is are you mechanical? Any used boat you buy no matter how great a shape the previous owner kept it in and no matter how wonderful your surveyor thinks the boat looks is a floating time bomb. As such, anything you do not replace when you buy the boat is going to break pretty soon. It will be a major buzzkill for your wife if stuff breaks regularly. She may be a saint and tell you everything is ok and blah blah blah but in reality, she is disappointed. So if you are not mechanical you are going to spend a boatload retrofitting everything on the larger boat and if you are you will spend a boatload of time and a reasonable pile of money. Expect to make it right or consider playing another game.

Thats enough of my sitting on my high horse so I think I will climb down and go mop the boat... And good luck on your plans!!!!!!!!!!!
        Current: 1998 Bayliner 4085 - Cummins 6BTA 370's
        Past: 2004 Monterey 322 - Volvo 5.7 GXi's
        Past: 1987 Silverton 34X - Crusader 454's

Comment

I agree with notsure in regards to getting something more modern. I had a 32xx and it was fun and affordable, but it was a lot of work, all the time. I had the 305’s so it was easy and cheap to work on. I had been looking for one in Florida for when I retire, but could not find one with gas engines. The old Hinos scare me because parts for that engine seem to cost more than a new long block chevy from michiganmotorz.
          So my plans changed and I’m looking for a 3988.
          Have you looked at the 3788 or 3988? They cost a little more, but they are decades newer!
          Esteban
          Huntington Beach, California
          2018 Element 16
          Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
          Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

What great plans. I live part time on my 4388. Plenty of room for me. I do have the twin hinos but routine maintenance seems to keep them running. You need to find something that allows you some basic comforts and ability to go where and when you want.

Comment

Battdad,
              There was very good advice given by many. I have a 3870 that I have had for about 5 years. I have the Hino's and as mentioned it is difficult to find a mechanic familiar with them. However they are well engineered and I have not had any issues I could not handle. I guess this depends on what you are willing to handle. I have a couple ideas for you. Have you considered taking your wife on a houseboat trip on Kentucky Lake or Lake Cumberland? This is a very nice way to experience living on a boat and you don't have to worry about rough conditions , etc.
              If you decide to follow your plan have you thought of maybe living on the boat with a buddy that is also retired? This helps in the medical emergency , boat repair scenarios. I wish you the best in your endeavor.
              Gibraltar, Mi.
              1986- 3870- Hino 175's
              1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
              14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

• PickleRick
                PickleRick commented
                Editing a comment
                Are the hinos injection system mechanical or controlled via electronics?

Also isn't a hino a toyota diesel?

To my knowledge all marine Hinos are mechanically controlled. Simpler to maintain for the do it yourselves. Yes
              Gibraltar, Mi.
              1986- 3870- Hino 175's
              1988 26' Shamrock/ Diesel
              14' Zodiac Bay Runner

Comment

The Hinos are very simple engines. I’ve had the EH700 175hp naturally aspirated and they are a very simple design. The parts that are part of the marine conversion can be pricey, but the basic motor is an industrial truck, bus, generator unit used all over the world. There are YouTube videos of guys rebuilding them out in the open with limited tools and under conditions most of us would never consider. And, they are successful.
                Hino is part of the Toyota Conglomerate. Yes, they are mechanically controlled, and maybe not quite as efficient as the newer electronic controlled engines, however, my average fuel burn for the last five years that includes cruising at 19-2000 rpm or 2800, fishing with one engine at 850, and everything in between is about 6.6 gph. If I’d fuel more often so that the dollars are smaller each time like 75-100 gallons instead of 200 gallons, there would be fewer comments from the Admiral.
                P/C Pete
                Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                MMSI 367770440

Comment

Working...
                X