Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The_Other_Gary
    replied
    With the fuel pump it could be as simple as the grounding wire becoming loose ( mine did ) there are two types based on the year, cylindrical and Square, The fuel solenoid has two amperages to Pull on and Hold. In a pinch you can pull it on manually and tie it off to stay on as the linkage sometimes gets corroded and sticks. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbee1
    replied
    All great advice, thanks! Didn't realize it had an electric fuel pump. I was holding the preheat down for 10-15 seconds, will try a longer session next time I'm there and have some help for listening for both 2 and 3. Pulled both turbos for rebuilds, PITA. (Pain In The A_ _!) Got a few projects going on. (Sigh...)

Leave a comment:

• The_Other_Gary
    replied
    When the Preheat switch is held down three things happen 1. The glow plugs will energize 2 the fuel solenoid will pull down to open the fuel supply 3. the fuel pump will start clicking.
    Absent any one of the three it will not start. Have a friend hold down the preheat when you have your face right at the genny to watch and listen for 2 & 3. Westerbekes are self priming due to the electric fuel pump
    so bleeding lines is not necessary if the fuel pump is working.

Leave a comment:

• Shipsngiggles
    replied
    How long are you holding the preheat down? Mine won't start unless I hold it down for about 20 seconds even in the middle of the summer.

Also, the solenoid might move just fine but it won't engage. Mine gave me trouble for a while until I replaced it, quick 15 minute job but works like a charm now.
    Have someone try to start it while you look down at the solenoid.

Finally, check the manual shutoff for fuel and such. Many times I will turn off the power and fuel to things that I am working on and then I will wonder why they won't start.

Leave a comment:

• Polarbee1
    started a topic 8kw Westerbeke problems

8kw Westerbeke problems

Bought this '97 4788 knowing the raw water pump was removed from the 8KW Westerbeke genset, replaced the pump last week. It hasn't been started in probably 10-12 weeks while pump was out. Had to replace battery, but got it all hooked up and now it won't start. Turns over just fine, but refuses to start. Checked movement of the fuel solenoid, works fine. Checked fuel filter, plenty of diesel in it. Any ideas? I'm thinking it probably needs priming due to sitting for that long, but I've no idea how or where to perform this procedure.
Working...
X