Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part time living aboard and potential snowbirds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I retire I may buy another boat up in the PNW so I can explore more thoroughly. When I was living/working up there it was hard to get too far away when I had to be back to work on Monday. I guess the first season when you buy a new boat somewhere you don’t live you don’t go too far until you do some trial runs?
    Esteban
    Huntington Beach, California
    2018 Element 16
    Currently looking for 32xx in South Florida
    Former Bayliners: 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

so...

Since starting this thread a few years ago, plans have changed and matured a bit.

I am exactly 12 months out from retirement. I am in a long lead time position and they will be starting the search for my replacement quickly.

We are going to keep enjoying our 4788 in Alaska in the summers. Generally we spend about 70 nights a year at sea and I do not see that changing too much. Perhaps we will spend a bit more time aboard but we have a nice lakefront house that needs some time spent at it too.

Winters we are starting out with a 28' travel trailer. This we will stash somewhere for the summer then fly down and spend time on again off again in the winter exploring the southern states. We really love Texas. The independent spirt of the people and the diversity of the places to explore are amazing. We are going to start in Texas and branch out from there.

We have found that we are not RV park compatible. We are more happy in State Parks where we have more space and more outdoors activities to do. We also like beach camping, and Texas offers that on almost every beach in the state.

We have not bought the travel trailer yet but are heavily leaning towards the 28' titanium mountain series by Outdoors RV. We like Travel trailers because we can set up camp and use the tow vehicle as a drive around platform for day trips.

We have purchased a new Dodge Ram 3500 mega cab, which is in transit to our local dealer as we speak, built to our specifications. This is our tow vehicle.

This setup will provide us the escape from Alaskas cold winter that we both need while preserving our options down the road.

We may still move our boat from Alaska, that is always a option, but it is becoming less of a reality as I get closer to retirement. My wife loves the boat but she does not love California for a variety of reasons, all of them valid at least to her, so they are valid.

Texas on the other hand appeals to both of us, again for a variety of reasons.Travel like this might last a couple of winters, it might last through our 60's, we just do not know.
      What we do know is that Alaska is a gorgeous place in the summer, and a challenging place in the winter. Our goal is to avoid much of the winter in a warmer climate while enjoying our home on the lake in the summer.

What I am really thankful and humble for is that we do not have to sell out 4788 as plans change, and will change again. I know many a retiree that has had to sell one "thing" in order to enjoy a different thing. Thank god we do not have to choose. We are extremely thankful, and feel blessed.

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
      www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
      https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

funny but I have no interest in being any sort of liveaboard. I enjoy a few weeks, but we love our five acres, our home, traveling in the motorhome etc. I spend a ton of time out in my shop building /modifying/repairing motorcycles and I still enjoy. Certainly love our boat, but its just a part of out life along with lots of other things.
        toni
        Toni Froehling

Yelm, Washington
        1994 Hino powered 4788

Comment

I retired a long time ago in my 40’s. Did the liveaboard thing for about 10 years. Then traveled extensively out west looking for places to build a summer home, I concluded that it was far easier, and much more fun to just keep traveling via Priceline 3.5 -4 star hotels roulette bids. If we liked a place, we would book it for another week, then “spin the wheel” again to see where Priceline offered great values. Discovered San Diego, Long Beach Ca., (a favorite as we carry bikes in the van), Sedona Az, Tucson, Salt Lake City (another bike friendly town), San Rafael Ca., Reno NV, Las Vegas from Sunday to Thursdays. Downtown Denver had very nice hotels, Vancouver BC (Suites up high downtown), would had never gone to Houston except we “won” The Galleria area once. Nice area. All in all it was much easier and certainly less expensive than building, or even permanently moving out west. Rarely paid over $75.00 per night. We ‘have it down’ with a rolling enclosed cart, with our own coffee maker, microwave (some of the fancy hotels don’t have them anywhere on the premises) cooler, hot plate, dishes, etc, (we don’t eat fast foods). It averaged out to about $3500.00 a month including gas, auto storage near airports for trips home for three weeks or so. It’s a beautiful country but knowing that eventually the new charm of a new town wears off once the reality settles in, it’s easier to just keep moving. Sorta like how Americans used to do the Grand Tours of Europe. Nice things about white minivans is that you can scoot between towns way above the speed limits, and the police seemingly just ignore you (except one time coming into Del Rio Texas, I was stopped-no ticket though) as you look like every other white minivan passing by. So, before you jump in with both feet only to discover San Diego is noisy as fk with low flying planes, and some towns have too many telephone poles, and wires hanging across vistas, or the homeless drug addicts make paradise kinda grim, give Priceline Roulette a spin.

Comment

Working...
          X