Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Part time living aboard and potential snowbirds!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Part time living aboard and potential snowbirds!

In talking to people that successfully liveaboard there are some kinda overlooked ways people go about it.

I know a couple of people that live on their boat in the PACNW and winter in a condo in Hawaii.
    I know at lasst two people that live on their boat in the PACNW and winter in a condo or home in Arizona

I have met people that keep their boat in SOCAL and Ensenada and use the boat as a snowbird getaway. In fact there are marinas in San Diego that specifically advertise that they are easy to get to from the airport, catering to out of towners.

What do you think of these kind of liveaboards? It seems like a pretty good use for a boat to me!

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

I think it is a great way to live. We have friends across from us who have a 4588. They live in Texas on the inter coastal water way during the winter. Come up every year around May and take off for Canada around July, returning in August or abouts.
    The thought of following the good weather is a great option if one has the ability to do so. Basically the best of all things.

Comment

That sounds fantastic. Just what I've been working on. I want to live aboard for some weeks/months in the winter most likely around west coast FL and then stay at our home spring, summer, and fall. I want to be able to move the boat at least twice a year if not more. I want to use it in the summer around home.
      I know it wont be much longer than 30" and I think I can deal with a 10' 6" beam for a yr or 2.
      I've been researching Sea Ray's 2000 to 2005 Sundancer 300. I want sterndrives.
      Would you call that a "stay aboard" and not a "Live aboard"? Snowbird getaway!

Comment

Since both of us are retired, and enjoy traveling, we try to live the best of both worlds. We live and travel in a 40 ft. diesel pusher in warmer climate in the winter, and head for the boat up in Port Ludlow in the warmer months. In between these two modes, we travel with use of time shares. We do like to get up to the boat in the winter months as well. I think the motorhome is in storage much more that the boat. Leaving the boat unattended in the winter is always a concern. We have friends that keep an eye on her, but we still like spending time and enjoy the winter weather. Extremes of cold or heat are best avoided. We just got back from Costa Rica a couple of weeks ago, and are looking forward to getting back to the boat!
        Destiny
        Bayliner 5288
        Port Ludlow, WA

Comment

That is exactly what we are transitioning to...winter in Arizona summer in the PNW...north of the border and the San Juan’s. Just trying to work out the logistics of all right now but will keep you posted.

Comment

I really like the idea of having our 2nd home pre-positioned in a cruising area that is warmer than Seward Alaska.
            The concept is that we can get away from our alaskan weather and enjoy our boat and the surrounding area.

Time will tell how that works out. My wife is not as big on the idea, but she has never experienced it. What she wants to do is to take off out of Alaska for a couple weeks a month during our winter, but go someplace different each time. Maybe Maui for the holiday season, then rent a motorhome in Texas for another get away. Then maybe one of those Viking Cruises, or a trip to the desert areas to explor.

Time will tell. I’m waiting for Covid to end to put in my retirement paperwork. I only work 10 days or so a month as it is so why not work since they pay our medical and my pension just continues to grow.

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

My good buddy lives in Colorado but, for now, keeps his 5788 in La Paz, Mexico. That’s far enough north to be MOSTLY out of any hurricane and it’s a pretty well protected area. One thing he learned the hard way was that when away from the boat it’s VERY important to have a reliable, knowledgeable person/service to manage the boat. It’s washed and all engines started and run twice a month,
              Jim Gandee
              1989 3888
              Hino 175's
              Fire Escape
              [email protected]
              Alamitos Bay, SoCal

Comment

We did what you are talking about for 7 years except that we inverted the seasons c/w what you are likely to do. We love our prairie summers so the last place we wanted to be was in some crowded anchorage missing the big blue Saskatchewan sky. We generally moved aboard around Remembrance Day - always well before Christmas and we usually stayed on the coast until the end of June. We moored on Vancouver Island but the boat wasn't often there if we were onboard. For us, having grown up on the Canadian prairies, a Vancouver winter was kind of like spring. The biggest challenge was the constant damp - cold was never really an issue. Generally around about the end of Feb we would start heading north to the Broughtons or Alaska and then we would return just about the time all the summer boaters started yapping on the radio.

I encourage you to try out your idea. We only get one shot at living new experiences and our time to do things in this life is limited. We had a wonderful 7 years but eventually it was time to move on. My wife wanted to spend more time in her sewing room and more time painting. I started to miss my big workshop. The big plus for us from "inverting" the seasons was the isolation. We enjoy each other's company and aren't particularly social creatures so being alone at a remote dock or in an empty anchorage was wonderful. Others might prefer a more social experience but we enjoyed being alone and on those rare occasions when we encountered another couple they were of a similar social preference so we could briefly make contact and then each move on.
                R.J.(Bob) Evans
                Buchanan, SK
                Cierra 2755
                Previously 43 Defever, Response LX
                Various runabouts, canoes & kayaks

Comment

• Seahawk II
                  Seahawk II commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a great take on it. My only problem is the older I get the less I tolerate the cold.

We live just outside of Toronto Canada and our Dock Holiday is moored in Nanaimo B.C. We spend the summers on the boat from May to Oct and then back home for the winter. Not exactly standard snowbird but it has worked for us. This coming year if covid permits we will be selling up the house and moving to Nanaimo.
                P/C Bob Hicks JN
                Dock Holiday, 1992 Bayliner 3888 Double Cabin Flybridge Cruiser
                Twin Hino W04TI 210 HP Diesels with Hurth HSW630A 2.0:1 Trannys
                Westerbeke 8.0 BTD-614 8KW Genset
                Avon 9 ft 6 in Tender with a Tohatsu M8B 8HP outboard
                Currently moored at Stones in Nanamio, B.C.

Comment

I built a business with interests near tropical Key West for 35 years and live now in a townhouse with dock on the ICW near St. Augustine. I’ve mainly cruised back and forth through Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach. When this pandemic ends I expect to do more of that. Diving up lobster for dinner in the keys or ordering them from the menu in South Beach, I love living the Bayliner 38 life in Florida!

Comment

We said back in June...do we want another year of yard mowing, bamboo cutting and pond scimming at our age...70 &65 or what? So with the impetus of a teenager we put the house on the market...sold + $30000. Let’s buy and move onto a boat...OK. 4 months later and a 30x50 storage for all our crap...we bought a bayliner 4788. In closing...look a 50’ livaboard slip for sale...in a prime Salish Sea location...buy it we did and now as a couple retired rain birds with a home in Arizona...life will be good for adventure, downsizing, and Covid BS. So fortunate to react on our desires rather than think to long about this and that or what if’s and what about this or should we and are we really ready for another adventure at our age...so now thanks to this forum and the vast input of knowledge and support...we ARE on our last big adventure. I’ll be around on this site and on the Hale Moku...Hawaiian for “house boat”...as we take our adventurous spirit to the Salish Sea from south sound to Alaska and the gulf islands in between

Comment

Originally posted by Timicrinn View Post
                      We said back in June...do we want another year of yard mowing, bamboo cutting and pond scimming at our age...70 &65 or what? So with the impetus of a teenager we put the house on the market...sold + $30000. Let’s buy and move onto a boat...OK. 4 months later and a 30x50 storage for all our crap...we bought a bayliner 4788. In closing...look a 50’ livaboard slip for sale...in a prime Salish Sea location...buy it we did and now as a couple retired rain birds with a home in Arizona...life will be good for adventure, downsizing, and Covid BS. So fortunate to react on our desires rather than think to long about this and that or what if’s and what about this or should we and are we really ready for another adventure at our age...so now thanks to this forum and the vast input of knowledge and support...we ARE on our last big adventure. I’ll be around on this site and on the Hale Moku...Hawaiian for “house boat”...as we take our adventurous spirit to the Salish Sea from south sound to Alaska and the gulf islands in between
                      What a great retirement!

I’m sitting on our 4788 just enjoying tonight!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

We purchased our 4788 in Boston late October 2020. It was our first boat so we hired a captain to take us to Cape May, NJ where we live. We plan on taking several long trips north this Summer / Fall while outfitting the boat to our liking. Then it's off to the South for the winter working our thru the Florida Keys until March when it's back to NJ for summer and fall. We plan on repeating this process as long as it's enjoyable - time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by yadda yadda View Post
                          We purchased our 4788 in Boston late October 2020. It was our first boat so we hired a captain to take us to Cape May, NJ where we live. We plan on taking several long trips north this Summer / Fall while outfitting the boat to our liking. Then it's off to the South for the winter working our thru the Florida Keys until March when it's back to NJ for summer and fall. We plan on repeating this process as long as it's enjoyable - time will tell!
                          That sounds like a Wonderful plan!

KEVIN SANDERS

Comment

Hi Kevin
                            We did the. "Snowbird" routine for 6 years going to Hawaii (Big isl.) mid September to mid June,even had a 24 Scout to go fishing/snorkeling,great weather shorts,sandals,T shirt everyday,yard work was a bit overwhelming (couldn't afford to hire it out) so something to think about and condo. HOA fees are high....The reason we returned is we missed our friends and health reasons as heart issue and must stabilize/transport to Honolulu all the islands do this.....all that said I still miss the palm trees,beach,weather.
                            Brad & Sharon
                            Lady Jake
                            1985 4550 EH 700TI /Twin Disc 502
                            Anacortes/La Conner, Wa.

Comment

Working...
                            X