ROOF OVER REAR DECK

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ROOF OVER REAR DECK

Has anyone built there own roof over the rear deck of there 32 or 38 bayliner ? I know there are professional ones out there for $5000 but I am looking for something I could build myself. Anythoughts or ideas on materials greatly appreciated !!

This is an idea that I have considered for the bridge but could be used on the rear

http://hardtotop.com/photo.php

1989 3218
    1988 Boston Whaler 13 Super Sport Limited
    2007 Yamaha VX Cruiser

Comment

• Padrino
      Padrino commented
      Editing a comment
      What is the material?? Looks light and maybe comes in pre-made sheets of some sort.

I was thinking I wood use SS support tubing and use wood framing and plywood and then bolt it to the cabin and fiberglass everything to look close to the gel coat that is on the boat.
    But did not do it because I bought a different boat.
    Don
    1995 Maxum 2400 SCR LUNA DE MIEL
    1988 Bayliner 2455 (sold)
    1976 Tahiti 16.5 I/O (sold)
    10 ft livingston (lost in fire )
    1987 18ft. Seaswirl cuddy (lost in fire)
    "Is it better to be on a boat thinking about God, or be in church thinking about boating?"

Comment

sounds like a chicken coup unless you are talented
      Started boating 1965
      Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

The process to get it right is really involved. A friend of mine was building a mold in the early ‘90’s and was commenting on the hours of block sanding the plug then building the mold. Doing a one off could be built starting with a plywood or composite center and covering in both directions. Finishing the underside isn’t as critical as the top and exterior edges. There would be a ton of sanding of the raw surface, then the gel coat and adding nonskid. $5K sounds like a lot, but if you check into your cost of materials, I think you will find the price more palatable. My sense is, at least in the PNW, that might be the installed cost.
        P/C Pete
        Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
        1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
        Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
        1980 Encounter Sunbridge "Misty Blue" (Sold)
        MMSI 367770440
        1972 Chevrolet Nova Frame off Resto-mod in the garage
        Boating on the Salish Sea since 1948

Comment

Friend built one for his 38. Looks better than those from LaConner. He did it all in fiberglass starting with a mould he built. He also made a matching bridge cover.
          Started boating 1965
          Bayliners owned: 26 Victoria, 28 Bounty, 32, 38, and 47 since 1996

Comment

Working...
          X