Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ?-gctid783575

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Liveaboard - who has had to store new boat - while waiting for a SLIP ?-gctid783575

Hi all,

I am in the PNW area (Canada / Puget Sound) .. and would be interested in others experience with getting their first liveaboard slip.

Q1) who has had to store their new liveaboard boat .. while waiting for a full time liveaboard SLIP ?

Q2) who got their slip FIRST , then went out and bought their boat ?

Thanks all,

JBliner

Have you checked Semiahmoo in Blaine?

Comment

Have not yet .. thanks for the tip .. so far the slips there mostly appear to be for purchase .. as a Canadian I can't live in the usa full time / year round .. residency rules and such .. so buying a slip in the usa likely would never work.

Comment

We got the boat slip when we had the contract to purchase the boat. Once we had the boat, we applied for live aboard permission. It took about 6 weeks before the marina called with permission.

I have a friend who has rented a slip for living aboard and has just contracted with a builder to build his boat. It will be next fall before he gets the boat.

It all depends on what you can organize with the marina.
        1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
        S. Puget Sound

Comment

You can rent there

Comment

"JLSBLINER" post=783711 wrote:
            Have not yet .. thanks for the tip .. so far the slips there mostly appear to be for purchase .. as a Canadian I can't live in the usa full time / year round .. residency rules and such .. so buying a slip in the usa likely would never work.
            Sheesh. Just go to Timmys every once in a while. No one is tracking how long everyone stays down here.
            Esteban
            Detroit, MI
            Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Make sure that you check the rules in private, condo-type marinas before you commit to a slip one. In some cases those marinas allow live-aboard by slip owners but not by renters or lessees. For example, that's the case with ours at Anchor Cove. Renters there cannot live-aboard.
              1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
              2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
              Anacortes, WA

Comment

2. Twice I unexpectedly got a rare larger slip and had to buy a larger boat to keep it. (That was my excuse to the Amiral.)
                Lee
                2007 Meridian 490
                2007 Meridian 368
                1996 2855 Cierra
                1978 Caribbean 26'
                Oceanside, CA

Comment

lol lee did that excuse include a couple bottles of wine

Comment

Which areas are you looking in in BC? Try some of the harbour authority marinas. Most of the ones I know allow live aboard. Victoria HA has a few areas and there's always West Bay. They all might be full right now. Not sure but if you start looking further up island, you might have some luck.
                    2001 Bayliner Ciera 2455 5.7 Merc MPI, Bravo 3
                    2009 Subaru WRX STI
                    2017 stick with a nail on the end of it

Victoria, BC

Comment

If the deal is great, i'd say just get the boat & store it

Comment

and good luck with living aboard, i'm thinking about doing it eventually

Comment

We are currently in this situation. Have been 'looking' for a while but finally pulled the trigger, downsized, sold the big mortgage, and now have "boat money". Put an offer on a lovely 4588 a few weeks ago and immediately went to Blaine to get our live aboard slip. Supposedly the last one available for the year..and on the commercial dock. The deal fell through on survey, however, so we just came back around to another 4588 we had previously looked at but had turned down due to cosmetics and lack of canvas. Offer has been accepted, and now we're pending survey again. The slip is still empty and waiting.....but we have one!

We're on the waiting list for Bellingham, where our business is....ironically, located in the Port of Bellingham (Bellwether Center). The idea is for the boat to (eventually) be 100 yards from my office door.

Comment

We stored ours at Banana belt boats in Anacortes for a few months. Cool thing you can have them drop you in the water just about any time. Open 7 days a week. Cool down to earth people.
                            jim and Anna 1994 4788 Refresh 310 Hinos

Comment

Working...
                            X