• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDOIII
    started a topic Seattle Live aboard-gctid781377

Seattle Live aboard-gctid781377

Hello to NW BOC'ers

May have opportunity to work in Seattle

In short, would like to know if there is live aboard opportunities in the immediate area of Seattle.

If possible could you also add and good and/or bad points.

We are from NE and have no experience with Seattle so would appreciate any thoughts

PS posted on Motor yacht forum as well in case not everyone views this site

RDO

• simbad
    replied
    Surprised this hasn't come up as a suggestion but check craigslist. You just need to change the city to Seattle at the bottom of the page. There are a few boats for sale right now in live aboard slips.

Not sure of your budget. But might be an option and probably the easiest route to get a liveaboard slip. Also place your own ad as wanted and wait.

I got my last two slips that way despite every marina being full when I called.

Leave a comment:

• Alan_Teed
    replied
    Interesting.

I have been working on my Apartment complex the last few week which is waterfront. The waterfront consists of flats at low tide for about 400 yards then the channel to Bremerton. I have noticed that the wake from the small Port Orchard foot ferry is actually greater on the flats than the wake from the Bremerton car ferry. I will be interested to observe the new fast ferry in action and any wake difference.

A.

Leave a comment:

• Shawnh
    replied
    Grabbed from a online article:

Kitsap Transit, after spending $13 million in mostly federal grants to design, build and test a low-wake ferry, is bringing high-speed service back. Scientists who monitored testing, including while the Rich Passage 1 transported passengers for four months, gave it the go-ahead. A September 2013 report by Golder Associates concluded the ferry, at 60 trips per week, wouldn't alter beaches any more than nature. More sailings could have cumulative effects, however, and should be monitored, it said.

Leave a comment:

• Norton_Rider
    replied
    "Alan Teed" post=800169 wrote:
    Good advice Robster. Bremerton will be getting the new fast ferry in July 2017 which will cut the Bremerton~Seattle commute by half!

I am following this closely as I own an apartment complex in Port Orchard which is connected to Bremerton by the foot ferry. I am finding that in my new vacancies potential tenants are starting to come from Seattle, whereas in the past they were all retired or working locally in Port Orchard.
    Wasn't the last fast ferry shot down because of excessive wake? What's different about the upcoming ferry?

Leave a comment:

• Alan_Teed
    replied
    Good advice Robster. Bremerton will be getting the new fast ferry in July 2017 which will cut the Bremerton~Seattle commute by half!

I am following this closely as I own an apartment complex in Port Orchard which is connected to Bremerton by the foot ferry. I am finding that in my new vacancies potential tenants are starting to come from Seattle, whereas in the past they were all retired or working locally in Port Orchard.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Drewhaas gave great advice. I'll supplement it a little. Bremerton Marina (Port of Bremerton) has available slips plus the advantage of walking right to the ferry (approximately a 1-block walk). The ferries have Wi-Fi so you can relax on your commute to downtown Seattle. Port Orchard is just across the way from Bremerton, so you would need to take the water-taxi to the Bremerton side, which would add about 30 minutes to your commute each way.

PC Pete mentioned Edmonds, where I live and where we are both Past Commodores. The Port is walking distance to the commuter train and the commute is 30 minutes each way. Unfortunately there are no slips currently available for 40-plus-foot-long boats.

If I were looking to liveaboard and work in Seattle, Bremerton would be my first choice.

Leave a comment:

• green650
    replied
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...marinelenders&

Cool area...most expensive cruise a home I've ever seen though.

Leave a comment:

• WiredHooks
    replied
    "RDOIII" post=781377 wrote:

We are from NE and have no experience with Seattle so would appreciate any thoughts

RDO
    This site may help you contact someone in the live aboard community that could point you in the direction of information, etc. May be helpful. Good luck!

http://www.liveaboards.org/ wrote: <...veaboards.org/

Leave a comment:

• nwboater62
    replied
    Leschi would be good. I used to like Park Shore. Not sure what it's like now, haven't been in there for a few years.

Leave a comment:

• RDOIII
    replied
    Wow

Thank you all for the great responses.

Ned - thanks for the info on a specific liveaboard opportunity - It really does help - if things move quickly I will follow-up - just the type of situation that I was thinking about.

The opportunity for me is still not definitive - but one of the key issues is being able to know if living aboard would be an opinion.

All the ideas seem to point to it is possible - but will require some leg work - and also choice on where to keep the boar.

One of the comments was planning to pick a location away from the City - that is possibility so long as I don't have to drive into he City.

As we get more close to knowing if the opportunity will become real and the timeframe I will again seek your comments and help.

Thanks Much

RDO

Leave a comment:

• nedporges
    replied
    By the way, almost forgot, there is a live aboard, around 40 feet, immaculate for sale at secure Leschi Marina North on Lake WA. Plenty parking, and bus in front to downtown; restaurants, shopping groceries, Starbucks etc, within a three minute walk. Asking for boat about $45-50K monthly moorage $350/mo includes water, electricity, and free pump out service comes to your boat. Boat is broker listed. I am moored there so somewhat familiar with the situation. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• nedporges
    replied
    Yes, there are marinas, mostly on Lake Union, within the city, that have live-aboard moorage. Also, city owned Shilshole Marina on salt side of the locks. May be hard to find, but there are floating homes and barge homes also rented on Portage Bay and Lake Union. You might mention if you have a boat to moor or looking to rent one. Some condo marinas where slips are individually owned sometimes for sale, however somewhat limited for living aboard. Cost typically $1500-2000 per foot plus monthly HOA fees and real estate tax. My 32 foot slip next to Queen City Yacht Club is $67 dues and $12 tax / month. Generally, closer to the locks, higher the price. Hope this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Castaway
    replied
    The Seattle area gets cheaper quickest if you're south of the city. I have a friend who lives aboard a 50 on Lake Union. He doesn't pay that much. I can find out more if you like. Also, Des Moines Marina to the south has a waiting list for most sizes, but is reasonably priced. I have another friend that has a 30 ft covered slip there but currently has no boat.

Leave a comment:

• RDOIII
    replied
    Thanks to all that responded.

The short answer seems to be to not expect ability to get a liveaboard slip near downtown.

Thanks for the thoughts on getting a slip and small apartment - might work - but worried about the total cost of the arrangement.

Will look at suggestions for moving way from the city.

If any one has any other additional thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks

RDO

Leave a comment:

Working...
X