Seattle Live aboard-gctid781377

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"RDOIII" post=781377 wrote:

We are from NE and have no experience with Seattle so would appreciate any thoughts

RDO
    This site may help you contact someone in the live aboard community that could point you in the direction of information, etc. May be helpful. Good luck!

http://www.liveaboards.org/ wrote: <...veaboards.org/

Comment

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...marinelenders&

Cool area...most expensive cruise a home I've ever seen though.
      Esteban
      B-ham!
      Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

Drewhaas gave great advice. I'll supplement it a little. Bremerton Marina (Port of Bremerton) has available slips plus the advantage of walking right to the ferry (approximately a 1-block walk). The ferries have Wi-Fi so you can relax on your commute to downtown Seattle. Port Orchard is just across the way from Bremerton, so you would need to take the water-taxi to the Bremerton side, which would add about 30 minutes to your commute each way.

PC Pete mentioned Edmonds, where I live and where we are both Past Commodores. The Port is walking distance to the commuter train and the commute is 30 minutes each way. Unfortunately there are no slips currently available for 40-plus-foot-long boats.

If I were looking to liveaboard and work in Seattle, Bremerton would be my first choice.

Comment

Good advice Robster. Bremerton will be getting the new fast ferry in July 2017 which will cut the Bremerton~Seattle commute by half!

I am following this closely as I own an apartment complex in Port Orchard which is connected to Bremerton by the foot ferry. I am finding that in my new vacancies potential tenants are starting to come from Seattle, whereas in the past they were all retired or working locally in Port Orchard.
          Alan Teed
          MOONDANCE
          '94 4788
          Gig Harbor, WA
          Previously:
          2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
          Bayliner 2855
          1977 Cal 34' blowboat
          1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
          Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

"Alan Teed" post=800169 wrote:
            Good advice Robster. Bremerton will be getting the new fast ferry in July 2017 which will cut the Bremerton~Seattle commute by half!

I am following this closely as I own an apartment complex in Port Orchard which is connected to Bremerton by the foot ferry. I am finding that in my new vacancies potential tenants are starting to come from Seattle, whereas in the past they were all retired or working locally in Port Orchard.
            Wasn't the last fast ferry shot down because of excessive wake? What's different about the upcoming ferry?
            1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
            2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
            Anacortes, WA

Comment

Grabbed from a online article:

Kitsap Transit, after spending $13 million in mostly federal grants to design, build and test a low-wake ferry, is bringing high-speed service back. Scientists who monitored testing, including while the Rich Passage 1 transported passengers for four months, gave it the go-ahead. A September 2013 report by Golder Associates concluded the ferry, at 60 trips per week, wouldn't alter beaches any more than nature. More sailings could have cumulative effects, however, and should be monitored, it said.
              1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
              S. Puget Sound

Comment

Interesting.

I have been working on my Apartment complex the last few week which is waterfront. The waterfront consists of flats at low tide for about 400 yards then the channel to Bremerton. I have noticed that the wake from the small Port Orchard foot ferry is actually greater on the flats than the wake from the Bremerton car ferry. I will be interested to observe the new fast ferry in action and any wake difference.

A.
                Alan Teed
                MOONDANCE
                '94 4788
                Gig Harbor, WA
                Previously:
                2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
                Bayliner 2855
                1977 Cal 34' blowboat
                1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
                Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

Surprised this hasn't come up as a suggestion but check craigslist. You just need to change the city to Seattle at the bottom of the page. There are a few boats for sale right now in live aboard slips.

Not sure of your budget. But might be an option and probably the easiest route to get a liveaboard slip. Also place your own ad as wanted and wait.

I got my last two slips that way despite every marina being full when I called.
                  BLOG ABOUT MY BOAT... www.seattleboater.com
                  5788 Man 610's- Love Her !
                  Sold:Bayliner 3587 | Extended Hull

Comment

Working...
                  X