Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water heater on or off-gctid731807

Curious .......

Whats the concensus over leaving your hot water tank and water pump turned on or off when you are leaving for the day say 8 hours or more ?

More energy efficient to hold the temperature or to heat up the temperature loss over the day ?

Darky

We turn off the water pump after each use. Just a habit.

Water heater I leave off while away from the boat.

Just what we have always done. No real reason. Just what we do.
    Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
    1998 3055 Ciera
    (yes, a 1998)
    Previous boat: 1993 3055
    Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
    Sea Doo XP
    Sea Doo GTI SE
    Life is short. Boats are cool.
    The family that plays together stays together.
    Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

If I cannot leave my boats potable water system on, and the hot water heater on during a shore excursion, then I have a problem with my boat that needs to be fixed.

If I am leaving the boat for more than a couple days then I'll shut off the HWH, more out of habbit and energy conservation than anything else. I also shut off the potable water but I have no reason to, because if I had a leak I'd of course fix it.

I don't turn off the HWH and water pressure at home when I'm away, what makes a boat so different???

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

I usually turn off the water supply and water heater when away from my boat for more than a day to save energy. The PO had a water line leak while they were away and it drained the water tanks into the bilge. No major damage, but it can happen.

My home is 30 years old and I always turn off my main water valve and water heater when I leave. My neighbors on both sides have had substantial water damage when toilets have overflowed while they were gone for extended periods.
        2001 Bayliner 4788, Cummins 370's
        Zodiac Yachtline 380, Yamaha 25hp
        Sanger wakeboard boat
        volunteer CA Delta tour guide

Comment

Off and off.

If something fails (known to happen) in your water lines the pump would empty your water into the boat. The hot water talk has a life span, why shorten it by leaving it on for no reason.

Comment

I never leave the boat for a period of time without turning off the dock water supply and the on board water pump along with the HWH. Dock sid water supply left on can sink your boat.
            Just love being on my 3870............Bill
            1985 3870
            Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
            Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
            Live on board full time.
            North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

They have on/off switches for a reason...
              Jeff & Tara
              (And Ginger too)
              Lake Havasu City, AZ
              sigpic
              2000 Bayliner 2858
              "GETAWAY"
              MMSI: 338094599
              In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

I am with Kevin. If I leave for me than a couple of days, everything gets turned off. If you are leaving for a few hours or a day, leave it on.

I would think there would be more wear and tear heating it up from cold, rather than leaving it on.
                Joel
                1987 3818 Hino 175
                "Knotty Girl"
                Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

"ksanders" post=731817 wrote:
                  If I cannot leave my boats potable water system on, and the hot water heater on during a shore excursion, then I have a problem with my boat that needs to be fixed.

If I am leaving the boat for more than a couple days then I'll shut off the HWH, more out of habbit and energy conservation than anything else. I also shut off the potable water but I have no reason to, because if I had a leak I'd of course fix it.

I don't turn off the HWH and water pressure at home when I'm away, what makes a boat so different???
                  +1

Also, I never connect my boat to the shore water supply. For those that do, I definitely recommend that it be shutoff when leaving the boat.
                  1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                  2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                  Anacortes, WA

Comment

Shut them off when not in use is a good policy. Along the theme of water heater has a definite life span, you can increase the life span by changing the anode rod in the heater every four or five years.

Greg
                    Newport, Oregon
                    South Beach Marina
                    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
                    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
                    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

BOTH OFF whenever I leave the boat
                      Tony, Cape Cod, MA
                      Vice Commodore Bourne Yacht Club
                      1994 Carver 390 Cockpit Motor Yacht
                      454 Merc Cruisers inboards
                      "HOLODECK"
                      2014 10' hard bottomed Dink powered by 3.3HP Mariner 2 stroke
                      www.bourneyachtclub.com

Comment

In replying to the comment "what's the difference" between a house and a boat: Boats can sink.
                        Glen Sherwood
                        1987 3270 twin 305’s
                        Coupeville, WA

Comment

If we leave for the day fishing or whatever I turn off the pump. Not that 200 gallons will sink the boat but I wouldn't want to loose all my water.

I connect to shore water when I'm at my home dock. I always turn it off at the dock even If I'm only going to be gone a couple hours.

I had a refer ice maker line break in a rental in Phoenix. It ran for a month before our gardener called to tell us water was coming out of the side of the house. It wiped out 4 rooms including the kitchen. Lesson learned.

Comment

A hot water heater and full fresh water tank is the same displacement whether it is on board, or if it has leaked into the bilge. If it has leaked into the bilge then the bilge pumps should handle it.

The point is, the amount of water in the fresh water tank and water heater will not sink the boat.
                            Joel
                            1987 3818 Hino 175
                            "Knotty Girl"
                            Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

"Gsherwood" post=732357 wrote:
                              In replying to the comment "what's the difference" between a house and a boat: Boats can sink.
                              A hot water heater and full fresh water tank is the same displacement whether it is on board, or if it has leaked into the bilge. If it has leaked into the bilge then the bilge pumps should handle it.

The point is, the amount of water in the fresh water tank and water heater will not sink the boat.
                              Joel
                              1987 3818 Hino 175
                              "Knotty Girl"
                              Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Working...
                              X