No announcement yet.

3870 Live Aboards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just my two cents worth here... If you are by yourself, a 32xx might be worthy of consideration. I live on one 5 to 7 days a week all year round. I like the king size bed in the lower stateroom. It is very comfortable. I use the v-berth forward for storage and the weight there keeps the bow down to easily see from the lower helm station. I personally like the galley in the 32xx a little better than the 38xx. I know a couple of people who have 3888s and commented they like the 32xx galley better with the exception of the fact that the 38xx has a larger fridge. At the dock I use a little electric space heater to stay comfortable most of the time. When it gets down in the 30s there is a Dickinson Alaska diesel heater about three feet aft of the helm chair. The 38xx series are nice. The 32xx are nice too for a single person or a cozy couple. There is a couple that have lived on one in this marina full time for years. I think the 32xx may be a little easier to single hand. The WO4D Hino n/a diesel will likely out live the rest of the boat and maybe even me. Anyway just a thought.

Greg
    Newport, Oregon
    South Beach Marina
    1986 3270 with twin 110 HP Hino diesels. Name of boat "Mr. Darcy"
    Past work history: Prototyping, tooling, and repair for Reinell,. General fiberglass boat repair starting in 1976.
    Also worked as heavy equipment mechanic, and machinery mechanic for over 30 years.

Comment

We live aboard approximately 6 to 9 months of the year depending on the particular year on our 3870 with NA Hino's. My wife and I and our two small dogs. We find it a bit crowded as we had all of our clothes, winter and summer aboard. We now plan to only live aboard in the spring to fall timing so will have less stuff to store on board. I absolutely love the 3870. It is the best use of space I've encountered in similar length boats and even longer ones.

My only criticisms are dockside I could use larger waste water storage as I need to pump about once a week or so with the present sized tank. If underway I find the water tank storage a bit small having to leave anchorages sooner than I would like to get fresh water. As for comfort I am considering removing the bar and ice maker to put in a more comfortable small couch in that area.

But having said all this I don't think there is a better 38' cruiser for living aboard, period. However, two footedness is a continuing disease that impacts many boaters and I am not immune.

Comment

Do any of you 3818 owners have davits or a crane system ? still trying to figure out how to haul a dinghy around.
        Also, how hard is it to take out the bar area ?

Comment

Yes I have a crane mounted on the bow and I store my jet ski (dinghy) on the bow. It works just great. When lowering or lifting the 3870 does tilt some to the port side. As for removing the bar area it was not a real problem. I put shelving in that area to store electronics, speakers and a 38" flat screen.
          Just love being on my 3870............Bill
          1985 3870
          Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
          Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
          Live on board full time.
          North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Working...
          X