X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living aboard in Puget Sound area-gctid708882

This may be a difficult question to answer but lets give it a try

So lets say a guy has a 35/40F)ish) he could live on

Not counting food or major boat work or fuel what would be a approximate yearly cost?

Seems like it should be fairly cheap.

This is what i can think of for cost.

Haul out once a year for maintenance. Zinks/ Bottom paint/Cleaning

Laundry

Marina daily shower

Pump out

TON i must not be thinking about!!!

OH forgot yearly Marina fees
    Pat. Sandpoint Ida
    1984 Bayliner Ciera 24.5 Volvo Penta 5.7/290DP

Do you want to have a home location or just perpetually on the move?

Permanent moorage is all over the map for costs depending on which marina but probably from $400-700/mo is as good of a start point as any.
    1989 3888
    Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Would still need a job so permanent slip for sure.
      Pat. Sandpoint Ida

Comment

Depends on the marina. We haul every two years, and have a diver check zincs and clean every other year. Our marina has strong currents(8knots), so we do not get much growth.

We also use our boat almost every month in the summer. A boat that doesn't get used as much will generally cost as much or more to maintain.
        Joel
        1987 3818 Hino 175
        "Knotty Girl"
        Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

Whatever the cost, it's offset by the cool factor of living on your floating man cave... B)
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "Sea Ya"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

It would be used almost daily. Got to catch something to eat somehow!
            Pat. Sandpoint Ida

Comment

You will have your slip rental, electricity, live aboard fee (added to the slip rental), then all the other costs of living such as clothing, food, insurance for your vehicle, boat and health, costs of maintaining a vehicle and your boat, phone service of some sort, all the items you like to do that cost money...

Living on your boat will cost very little more than owning the boat to begin with (if you already have it in a slip). You will likely need some place for storage of items that won't fit in your car or boat or dock box... or a good friend that will let you mooch some garage or shed space at their home...

The added cost to living on my boat against to just having it is $75.00 a month for the extra live aboard fee at my marina... BUT it comes with pump out service at your slip, so that is not over and above for me. But the overall lowered expense of housing is really the big thing.

For our 41 foot Symbol, the cost to rent the marina slip with the approval to live aboard is between $535 and $585 a month. That is for a 50 foot slip in Olympia. The difference in the cost is the electricity we use (winter months are more for heating). It is about $100 higher than the the cost of living aboard the 3288 that we had before in the same marina (although we didn't live aboard that boat).

The closer to Seattle you get, the higher the price of slips and the more difficult it is to get approval to live aboard. Marinas only allow a small percentage of the boats to be live aboard boat owners (if at all). It is worth talking to the marina IN PERSON to see what the likelihood of getting approval is before getting a slip there if that is your reason to have your boat in that marina. Like it or not, being in person allows the marina management to look you in the eye to decide if they want you in their marina. They will give you the published rules over the phone or through email. But, in person, you will get ahead of the line if you look like a boater they want in their marina.
              1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
              S. Puget Sound

Comment

I just forwarded this to two friends who live aboard... One on the Peninsula and one in Everett...
                Doug ;}
                MMSI: 338068776
                "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

One thing you might consider is what type of water your boat is sitting in, is it pure saltwater or a brine. I use to keep my yacht (28ft wood carver ) in the duwamish it is a brine more fresh water than saltwater so a grass would grow on the hull. A trip into the saltwater and the grass would fall off leaving the hull relatively clean, in saltwater you get the barnacles and mussels growing on the boat requiring more maintenance on the hull out. Just thought i let you know about that;

Don

Comment

Well here is what has me asking.

Now this is all for daydreaming right now cuz i am sure the wife will never go for it as she likes a big bathroom and lotsa stuff.

I think it would be cheaper and WAY cooler + more free time if a guy(couple) could live on a paid for boat.

Would each of us working a part time job at the average Seattle pay be enough to pay the bills and leave beer money .

Im a pretty simple guy. Heck after 20 years in the same house i can still fit all my belongings in a pickup for the most part. Im an adventurous guy and i think we could do it pretty easy.

So im ready to sell the house and buy a good used boat in the35ish foot area.

1st Obstacle. The wife is our s**t magnet.

2 She was born and raised here and is not a very adventurous person at all.

3. She thinks moving 6 hours away is half way around the world from the kids. They are all grown and over 21 and they do drive.

So my only way to approach this as i see it is this summer stay out on our 24.5 boat over night a bunch and make it as easy and fun as i possibly can and get her thoroughly hooked on it. She is 1/2 way hooked already.

then explain how nice it would be to work less and have more free time

Anyway probably a daydream but it is one i sure would love to do!
                    Pat. Sandpoint Ida

Comment

Working part time won't pay the moorage and leave much room for beer.

Force the wife to live aboard on a 35ish foot boat and you may need to save for an attorney.
                      Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=709148 wrote:

Force the wife to live aboard on a 35ish foot boat and you may need to save for an attorney.
                        Well like i said. Its a day dream anyway especially if it will not work money wise.
                        Pat. Sandpoint Ida

Comment

Find yourself a old wood boat you can find some nice ones that are quite nice at a decent price i was looking at a forty footer twelve foot beam with two state rooms forward and aft quite a classic for 20g

Don

Comment

"SomeSailor" post=709148 wrote:

I agree with that statement. I am one lucky guy with a wife who was the one pushing to live aboard. It is the reason we went from the 3288 to the Symbol Sundeck. Lots of room for the two of us, while not clearing out the budget or savings.
                            1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
                            S. Puget Sound

Comment

The Admiral and I have been living aboard since 2010 in Everett, WA (POE). Here is my take on the expenses:

Moorage: Varies, We are covered 50 foot slip $750/mo

Live Aboard Fee: POE $78.00/mo

Electrical: Base is $8.00/mo, with our boar the electrical will run between $50 and $120/mo (Electric Heaters handle temps down to the high 30's)

Diesel Heater: We have a Webasto hydronic heater. Over the course of a winter we will burn through about 75 gallons (Dec through Feb)

Insurance: Will vary depending on the value of the boat, but there are fewer carriers that will cover live aboards. We run right at $1200 per year

Zincs: We are able to go a year between changes for the primary zincs, but have to replace our thruster zincs twice a year. A diver cost us $125.00 per dive. complete set of zincs (4 Shaft 1-1/2", 4 Disc 5", 4 Thruster 7/8", 1 Diver Plate 10") about $200.00 from the discount houses on line $300.00 full price from the local chandlery. Diver plate will last 2-3 times longer but that only costs about $55 each. The diver will also do some cleaning of all my through hulls and running gear while he is down.

Oil Change: Our engines use 2.5 gallons per, Walmart you can buy Delo 400 for $13 per gallon

Filters: For me this includes (2 engine oil filters, 2 engine primary fuel filters, 2 engine secondary fuel filters, 1 diesel heater filter, 1 water treatment filter for diesel heater, 1 generator oil filter, 1 generator primary fuel filter, 1 generator secondary fuel filter) total cost about $375. Transmission filters are $50 each but I only replace those every three years.

Main Engine Coolant: Replaced every two years. 10 gallons of antifreeze. $12 each

Bottom Paint: Varies but for me I will get about 5 years out of a good bottom paint. Cost with haul out $2500, cheaper if you do all the work. But haul out around $400, Paint 2-3 gallons around $300 each, plus drop cloths, paint suites, brushes, rollers, sand paper and a good chiropractor.

Misc Maintenance: This will vary but I track all my expenses. Most boats we are talking about are not new. Anything over 5 years old will start to have a lot of things failing. I would plan at least $2500 to $3500 for incidentals.

Tow Insurance: I also carry BoatUS tow insurance. It covers the part that my Yacht insurance doesn't. Also, I don't have to pay anything then wait for reimbursement, cost $144/year.
                              Patrick and Patti
                              4588 Pilothouse 1991
                              12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
                              M/V "Paloma"
                              MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Working...
                              X