Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liveaboards - how do you handle frequent ZINC replacements ?-gctid687953

For all you Liveaboards out there ..

Q) I was wonder how you handle/manage frequent ZINC replacements ?

I can see those that pull there boats out every fall .. doing zincs at haul out times .. pretty simple logic.

But with liveaboards - who are living on their vessel all year 24/7 - .. I would think that situation would be another can of worms all together .. i.e. how to do it with the boat staying in the water type of thing .. where they would have the work done ... i.e. away from their liveaboard marina's or not ..

Thanks for your input all !!

A diver can do it.

Or I there is the quick haul out (leaving the boat in the slings) and replace the zincs, inspect the bottom for other issues, if all is OK, put it back in. It is a half hour to hour haul out.

Both of the above are very common.

Also, a good way to inspect the zincs is with an underwater camera like a GoPro on a selfie stick. I do this every once in a while to see how the zincs are doing on the boat and to just get a look around under the boat.
    1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
    S. Puget Sound

Comment

Depending on the marina, many will haul out, and stay on the boat while the work is being done. The boat should be hauled every so often anyways. I would say two years at most. The life of the zincs will depend on many factors.

I use a diver to clean bottom and check things, then haul once every other year.
      Joel
      1987 3818 Hino 175
      "Knotty Girl"
      Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

I am assuming every 6 months for zinc replacements approx .. wouldn't haul outs every 6 months be an extreme expense for live aboard types ??

If haul out was the method of choice .. what would be the average cost to do haul out + zincs ?

.. ball park is ok ..

Comment

Yes 6 months is way too often for haul outs. Once every two years. Have a diver check things out once or twice a year. Depending on your marina zincs should easily last six months to a year.
          Joel
          1987 3818 Hino 175
          "Knotty Girl"
          Prince Rupert B.C.

Comment

I'm the diver on our boat and always have a general look around underneath at the end of a dive.

I like Shawnh's camera idea above.

Most of the 45xx and 47xx I have seen out of the water have zincs on every trim tab, the shafts and a main one on the transom.

I took the trim tab zincs off and bonded them with the main zinc block. Still have a prop nut zinc on each side.

Now I only have 3 zincs to keep a watch on and all of them can be seen from the boarding platform.

They all can be changed in the water too . . . Typically every 12 months.

Ian B)
            Ian & Emma
            MV "LaPaloma"
            1990 4588
            Bay of Islands
            New Zealand

Comment

Use a Stainless steel cable and hang a transom zinc over the side level with the bottom of the stern hull, be sure to connect it to your bonding system or engine.

One thing, you need to be sure that you are properly bonded, that means everything that is metal from the fwd engine bulkhead back.

You could also conduct a bonding survey yourself, use a multi meter and a silver/silver chloride half cell on the positive side, neg connection connects to the main bonding wire, you can also make that survey and connect the neg to each under water piece of metal to be sure that the whole system is properly bonded.

Fluke has instructions on their web site for the use of their meters.

I believe some members may have a half cell.
              Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
              Twin 350 GM power
              Located in Seward, AK
              Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"JLSBLINER" post=687960 wrote:
                I am assuming every 6 months for zinc replacements approx .. wouldn't haul outs every 6 months be an extreme expense for live aboard types ??

If haul out was the method of choice .. what would be the average cost to do haul out + zincs ?

.. ball park is ok ..
                Haul out cost will depend on what yard and what length boat. Zincs will depend on how many and what size.

I had CSR on the Lake Union Canal haul my 41 foot boat for a survey last July. The rest of the survey was good and the haul was the last part. The zincs were getting close, so I had the yard put on new zincs while the boat was out (even though I still had not bought the boat). Two zincs on each shaft, one on each rudder, one on each trim tab and one on the bow thruster. Total of 11 zinc of different sizes.

Haul out, hanging in the slings for an hour or so and putting it back in, plus the labor to put the zincs on and the cost of the zincs was a total of $438.00 with Washington State sales tax.
                S. Puget Sound

Comment

Did you zinc the trim tabs?

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                  Twin 350 GM power
                  Located in Seward, AK
                  Retired marine surveyor

Comment

"boatworkfl" post=687984 wrote:
                    Did you zinc the trim tabs?
                    Yes
                    S. Puget Sound

Comment

How often do your neighbors re-do zincs?

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

I have a diver clean the bottom and check the zincs every 6 months. If the zincs look like they will last 6 months, he'll leave them as is. Otherwise, he'll replace them.
                        1999 3788, Cummins 270 "Freedom"
                        2013 Boston Whaler 130 SS
                        Anacortes, WA

Comment

Since we have a new dock along with all the north docks, south of my boat will be replaced this winter.

I have managed to go 2 1/2 seasons on my zincs, my rudder zincs were gone but no electrolysis on any metal.

this winter the A-B C docks will be replaced.

The rudders have the most area surface to protect, next is trim tabs on a 3870.

It is better to slightly over zinc than to under.

I still do some marine surveying at age 71, mostly for my neighbors on D dock in Seward, AK.

A bonding survey can usually help with zinc issues that only last 6 months.

Money well spent can be money in the pocket.

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Are most divers are able to do that relatively easily ?

"Norton Rider" post=687999 wrote:
                            I have a diver clean the bottom and check the zincs every 6 months. If the zincs look like they will last 6 months, he'll leave them as is. Otherwise, he'll replace them.

Comment

I liveaboard in freshwater and anodes last 2 years, I change at haul out time.
                              Capt. Ron.
                              "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
                              "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
                              1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
                              Hino EH700
                              Westerbeke 8.0
                              1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
                              on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

Working...
                              X