Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New to Living Aboard - Best Inexpensive Boat-gctid687269

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New to Living Aboard - Best Inexpensive Boat-gctid687269

    Hi Guys,

    I've been reading a bit the replies and reviews on various forums here, and I am so thankful for all the help and information of simply reading through.

    So, I have downsized for a few years now, but living in Vancouver, CA is EXTREMELY expensive on land. So, I am looking to save some money to buy a boat cash and living aboard with not to crazy docking/slippage fees moorage). So I have been doing lots of research for months now on various boats, and also going to look at quite a few, but I am looking for advice from some wise and experienced LIVEABOARDS to get better feedback. I think it is only wise to learn and gain wisdom from experience. So I hope I can get some advice from you all!

    So here it is:

    I am a younger 28 yr old single guy without any pets, just myself and my luggage. So that said, I am thinking of buying a minimum 28' to about 34' bayliner (because of cost and slippage fees). My budget is between 20-40k and I am confused as to switch would be the best and comfortable boat to live on without to much "DIFFICULTY" or just making a mistake in buying something to difficult to live on. I am comfortable with small spaces. I live awesome in a 300-450 ft micro condo.

    Gas isn't a big issue, because I am buying it more as a home, then actually cruising. I love fishing, so may go out 1 every 2 weeks or so no more than 1 hr away.

    A few details:

    -Looking for a modern newer look in a boat, not to old and all wood. Around 90's

    -Not worried about gas. (only will be taken out 1 per every 2 weeks not far)

    - $20-40k

    So I am looking between:

    Bayliner - Avanti 32'

    Bayliner - 2858

    Bayliner - 3058

    So has anyone lived aboard on of these before? Any experience, wisdom, knowledge or info would be greatly and immensely appreciated!

    Hopefully see you on the water!!

    Thank you!

    #2
    Your 1st post, Welcome to BOC,

    If there is a single maintenance item that can't be ignored on the boats you are considering it is the out drive legs.

    They all need maintenance and are costly to repair.

    Absolutely no problem with that, especially if you are a hands on owner and can do this yourself.

    If your short list includes some shaft drive boats these may make your live aboard life a little easier.

    Good luck with your seach, Ian
    Ian & Emma
    MV "LaPaloma"
    1990 4588
    Bay of Islands
    New Zealand

    Comment


      #3
      I moved from a 3055 to a houseboat. The thing I appreciate most is not having rigid built in furniture and no seating options. It is amazing how much have a nice chair makes you feel.

      Comment


        #4
        Hey NZ 4828 & Saintjon

        Thanks so much guys for the info! Do most bayliners have drive out legs and/or shafts? Don't know much of the differences?! I simply know that Diesel powered isnt necessary for me to pay the extra money, because I won't be spending much time off the Marina.

        Does anyone have experience with some of the boats listed above? I can get a steal of a deal on a 2858, but I'm just a tiny bit scared I would need a bigger boat to accommodate few people (1-4) comfortably. By myself, boat seems amazing! Any advice?

        "NZ 4588" post=687287 wrote:
        Your 1st post, Welcome to BOC,

        If there is a single maintenance item that can't be ignored on the boats you are considering it is the out drive legs.

        They all need maintenance and are costly to repair.

        Absolutely no problem with that, especially if you are a hands on owner and can do this yourself.

        If your short list includes some shaft drive boats these may make your live aboard life a little easier.

        Good luck with your seach, Ian

        Comment


          #5
          A 32xx would be a the smallest I would consider to live aboard. Gas powered are much cheaper than the diesel models. Lots of room for the size. Shaft drive instead of outdrive. No canvas to bother with when the weather goes bad, just step inside and close the sliding door. Sitting inside you get a great view of your surroundings, plenty of natural light.

          I could go on and on about these boats..... Definitely my next boat.

          1989 3288
          "Defiant"
          5.7 L gas powered

          2003 Yamaha FX Cruiser

          MMSI 316 034 392

          Comment


            #6
            +1 on the 32XX, but look around for a Bayliner Bodega. They are positively huge inside.

            Comment


              #7
              "LG116" post=687337 wrote:
              Hey NZ 4828 & Saintjon

              Thanks so much guys for the info! Do most bayliners have drive out legs and/or shafts? Don't know much of the differences?! I simply know that Diesel powered isnt necessary for me to pay the extra money, because I won't be spending much time off the Marina.

              Does anyone have experience with some of the boats listed above? I can get a steal of a deal on a 2858, but I'm just a tiny bit scared I would need a bigger boat to accommodate few people (1-4) comfortably. By myself, boat seems amazing!
              The shaft drive arrangement is basically an engine with a gear box attached, then a propeller shaft through the hull and a propeller outside. Simple straight line machinery with a rudder for steering.

              The out drive or stern leg arrangement is an engine inside the boat that is coupled to a drive unit on the outside. This is usually all set up at the very back of the boat with the engine under the cockpit floor or in an engine box. The out drive is attached to the transom and contains the gears to the propeller and the means to steer your boat. The machinery inside the outdrive is effectively submersed and seals must be maintained to ensure water doesn't get inside.

              Quite alot to get to grips with if you haven't seen these things before but well worth understanding before you part with your money.

              Ian .
              Ian & Emma
              MV "LaPaloma"
              1990 4588
              Bay of Islands
              New Zealand

              Comment


                #8
                Tara and I and our 75 lb. Chocolate Lab have spent 3-4 weeks at a time on our 2858 no problem. Full time by myself would be OK, but if possible, I'd get a 32 or 33. Or a 37 or 38. Or... B) And welcome to the BOC!
                Jeff & Tara
                (And Ginger too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ

                2000 Bayliner 3388
                "GetAway"
                Cummins 4bta 250s

                In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

                Comment


                  #9
                  I live on a Bayliner 32.50 Avanti 1988 two bed rooms twin engines A/C gen. Got it at a sale for $9000.00 with trailer. I tinker with it to have some thing to do me and my wiener dog love it greatest thing I ever done good luck on your choice. We sleep in the back bed room my dog wakes up about two in the morning to go to the bait room I open the ex hatch and let him out I go back to sleep some body comes to visit got that spare bed room with a door because I am a early riser. My boat is back in the slip I say hello as ever body that lives aboard in the marina which is a lot maybe 12 on my dock and they are all 32xx except one pontoon house boat she is trying to sell it to buy a Gibson Sport. That's my boring life on about it cost me $1745.00 a year and about $30.00 a month electric like I said good luck.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    joe440 Thanks a ton for the info! I also am starting to agree that anything less than a 32 for full time live-aboard may become a little tight even for one person long term. So thanks for that! However, you and a few others have replied that they would consider the "32xx" but which model is it exactly?? 32...58? 88? which model is everyone referring to that has tons of space etc. ?

                    Again thanks a ton!

                    "joe440" post=687346 wrote:
                    A 32xx would be a the smallest I would consider to live aboard. Gas powered are much cheaper than the diesel models. Lots of room for the size. Shaft drive instead of outdrive. No canvas to bother with when the weather goes bad, just step inside and close the sliding door. Sitting inside you get a great view of your surroundings, plenty of natural light.

                    I could go on and on about these boats..... Definitely my next boat.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      @Jeffw

                      Great to here that! It definitely gives me a bit of confidence if I were to take the 2858.. also recently im finding the 2958 is vary spacious and cheap also.

                      Does anyone know some of the best and cheapest marinas in the southern US? Between Texas and California? What are typical monthly expences that I can expect? Just trying to gain wisdom from experienced boaters.. I want to make sure there is nothing missing! always between a 28-34ft yacht style cruiser.

                      Again, thanks a ton fellas for all the info!

                      "Jeffw" post=687373 wrote:
                      Tara and I and our 75 lb. Chocolate Lab have spent 3-4 weeks at a time on our 2858 no problem. Full time by myself would be OK, but if possible, I'd get a 32 or 33. Or a 37 or 38. Or... B) And welcome to the BOC!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        3058 huge cockpit...
                        Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
                        Uniflite 42 AC, DD 671N
                        93 3058 sold
                        92 2855 (day boat)
                        91 Fourwinns 205 (lake boat)
                        Longbranch WA
                        Life is Good

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Checkout www.bayliner32xx.com for info on this model. What I like about this model for a live aboard is all of the separate areas you have: fly bridge, forward berth, aft berth, Salon and cockpit. Gas models are cheep in the 12k range can be found and they are a good fishing platform.
                          1997 3788/Cummins 6BTA 5.9 M2s (Sold)
                          2003 Silverton 42c/Cummins 480CEs
                          2014 Sea Fox 22 Center Console
                          2006 Boston Whaler 13 Sport

                          Vero Beach, Fl.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I thought you were going to continue living at Vancouver ? yes / no ??

                            .. where you'll be will have a lot to do with selecting the right boat ..

                            "LG116" post=687685 wrote:
                            @Jeffw

                            Great to here that! It definitely gives me a bit of confidence if I were to take the 2858.. also recently im finding the 2958 is vary spacious and cheap also.

                            Does anyone know some of the best and cheapest marinas in the southern US? Between Texas and California? What are typical monthly expences that I can expect? Just trying to gain wisdom from experienced boaters.. I want to make sure there is nothing missing! always between a 28-34ft yacht style cruiser.

                            Again, thanks a ton fellas for all the info!

                            "Jeffw" post=687373 wrote:
                            Tara and I and our 75 lb. Chocolate Lab have spent 3-4 weeks at a time on our 2858 no problem. Full time by myself would be OK, but if possible, I'd get a 32 or 33. Or a 37 or 38. Or... B) And welcome to the BOC!

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I think I may stay in Vancouver, but I'm semi-self employed and lived in LA and Dallas for most of 2014.. so if I'd find a steal down there, It may just drag me down again! Way less expensive too!! But Vancouver is nice! Are you in Vancouver?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X