Haul Out - interval times and costs ?-gctid675946

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haul Out - interval times and costs ?-gctid675946

Hi all, I am thinking about a 40 ft purchase to liveabourd in the Victoria BC area .. no experience with boating ..

Question: I'll be moored in the PNW area .. was wondering about when a boat in that area would need HAUL OUT maintenance ? ie. how often ?? what is normally done at haul out (zincs + paint) ?? ballpark costs ??

ps - I am not sure exactly what zincs are .. or how many bottom parts need these attachments ..

The other issue is how long that process would take .. I'd guess you'd have to add a motel cost to the above if this takes days ??

thanks from the newbie ((-:

Probably plan on hauling every 3-4 years. Cost including haul, power wash, prep, paint materials should be abound $2,800.00 for a two coat bottom job. It lakes us here about 6-7 working days to complete the job.
    www.boatyardgm.com
    www.pacificyachtimports.net
    2002 Carver Voyager 57
    "Making Waves"
    3988 250 Hinos
    "The Dark Side"
    Alameda, California

Comment

thanks .. that's not so bad ..

Does the colder North West water temps buy you more time in the water before that big job is required ?

Are the zinc replacements more like a yearly thing ?

Comment

Depending on your marina... You will most likely get between 6 months to 9 months on your zincs before you should worry about it. I am in Olympia and most of the boats in the marina I am at replace the zincs every 8 months or so. Cost is a couple hundred bucks to have a diver do it, PLUS the zincs. If you dive, you can do it yourself. But, you can get a lift out and kept the boat in the slings to replace the zincs for about $260.00 (with WA State taxes) and be able to look over the bottom at the same time. Another $75 or so for a pressure wash to get the growth and slime off. (PLUS the zincs). Zincs will cost close to $200 if the yard installs them. (all my $$$ amounts are in USD in Washington State)

You don't want to not replace your zincs. Too many issues will arise if you don't.

One other issue, you might want to look into insurance on your boat you are thinking about before you buy one. With no boating experience or background, your price may be expensive (or you might not get insured without some training first). But, don't take my word on that. It is the training guys we have hired for my wife and I that have stated this. It might be a selling point they push...

Good luck on your hunt!
        1992 3288, twin Hino 150's sold
        S. Puget Sound

Comment

Great info .. thanks !! .. insurance could be tricky .. even tho I'll just have someone park it til I get some training ..

Comment

Have you looked at how much slips are in Victoria?

Also, since you are new to boats, maybe take a friend to look at boats. Since you don't know much about boats you will definitely want a survey on a boat you will purchase and you don't want to waste money on a survey if the boat is junk to begin with.

Do you plan on using the boat as in boating, or just to live on it?

I have seen a few liveaboards and they have been poorly maintained, never used boats, sometime inoperational engines. Thes were boats where the person that lived on it where one step above homeless.
            Esteban
            Detroit, MI
            Former Bayliners 3218, 2859, 2252, 1952

Comment

DIY diving to change zincs: Please remember that divers get a great deal of training to avoid injury. Plus, most marinas don't want owners in the water. They let diving contractors in but they are expendable.
              Terry (Retired Diving Instructor and Part Time IT Consultant)
              1998 Bayliner 2452. 5.7l V8 - Edelbrock 1409 4bbl - Alpha1Gen2 - Solent UK.
              MMSI 235061726

Comment

Yes .. I'll have a survey done for sure when the right boat appears .. and yes I've been looking into the costs of moorage ... GVHA (city run) marinas aren't too too bad for costs .. the most expensive moorage in the inner harbor was in the $800 range based on a year lease .. this marina is private and attached to a Hotel where you enjoy all the hotel's facilities for free (indoor/outdoor pool / gym / wifi ) .. waiting list would be less than a year .. that is estimated of course.

I certainly have a LOT to learn .. but I like the challenge ((-:

Comment

FYI the zincs are sacrificial. Electrical current present in the water slowly eats them away. This protects the same thing from attacking your running gear (props, rudders etc). Think of them as decoys. This is why you want to replace them regularly. The intervals will depend on water salinity, temp etc. Make friends at your marina and you'll get an idea of how often they need to be changed. If you want to DYI, try it the first time when it's on the hard (land) and then decide if you think you could dive and do them. Hope this helps.

Cheers.
                  Doug
                  Hanging Loose
                  98 Carver 350 Mariner
                  2013-
                  KRUSTY KRAB
                  2001 305
                  5.7 BII
                  2006-2013

Comment

You said moorage is reasonable, but did you ask about living aboard? Very few spots for a liveaboard in marinas
                    Boatless
                    (Sold) All In
                    2002 Bayliner 37
                    330 Cummins
                    AB

Comment

All three marina's in Victoria harbour allow liveaboard .. the city run GVHA charges extra for that .. the other 2 privately run marina's do not .. all have waiting lists .. but I gather less than a year to get in ...

"All In" post=679849 wrote:
                      You said moorage is reasonable, but did you ask about living aboard? Very few spots for a liveaboard in marinas

Comment

I come out every other year, but mainly just to get some things done on my punch list (new transducers, thru-hull, sea-cocks and such). It's easy to do while the boat is on the hard.
                        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Seaview North in Bellingham gives you an "in and out" service for $170. A haul at the end of the day, left hanging on the sling till they drop it back in at 8-9 AM. You can work on the boat on the sling until 10pm, and at 6am until they drop her in. If bad things happen they would put it on the hard, and charge accordingly. $170 is cheaper than a diver here in Bellingham.
                          Tally and Vicki
                          "Wickus" Meridian 341
                          MMSI 338014939

Comment

Thanks !! and Wow .. that sounds like a great haul out deal !!

btw - love the Meridian 341 .. very nice boat !!

Comment

At Kinkade Lake a person that does it to my wifes 37 foot Gibson in writing $25 to $30 thousand dollars and would need it for 3 months. I bought a trailer and my son-in-law charges 2500.00 rip offs in this business is dime a dozen. My wife has a Gibson and I a Bayline with our own trail the trailer cost $4000.00 and has paid for it self time and time agin

Comment

Working...
                              X