No announcement yet.

Living Aboard 4788 - Planning To

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, here we are, a few years later and plans are forming to spend the Winter in the South somewhere. We're thinking Myrtle Beach or further South, so we're looking for suggestions. I don't think we'll go to the Bahamas and we're not sure about the Loop. BOC has been witness to our preparations, updates and replacements so I thought some of you might be interested in where we are in the process.
    Steve & Cary Sober
    Woodstock, VA
    SURPRISE
    2000 Bayliner 4788
    Cummins 370's
    Achilles 350DX with Eurohelm and 20HP Tohatsu
    Kent Island, MD

Comment

Good luck with your plans!

The 4788 is a great liveaboard platform.

I have similar asperations for our 4788, abet on the west coast.

The (current) plan is to keep our house on the lake in Alaska, and use the boat as a portable snowbird home.

Dont know how that will work out for a few years until retirement.

Honestly, the competition is to do the same thing in a land RV, or buy a snowbird home somewhere.

The challenge is a land based RV is smaller, but since you can just step outside it is easier in some ways.

A snowbird home is full size, and you just step into it, but it "traps" you to that location. Easy peasy for the dogs though.

The same $$ in the 4788 would buy a nice snowbird home. Slip fees and insurance make costs of a home Vs boat pretty much awash.

RV'ing would save $$$ but we've never done it. I much prefer the idea of a dock to a crowded RV park. Dock life means that your slip mates will probably not be there 100% of the time. RV park means that there will be a neighbor REALLY CLOSE 100% of the time.

Anyway best of luck in your plans!!!

KEVIN SANDERS
      4788 LISAS WAY
      SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

One huge aspect of living aboard while also traveling, especially to remote area, that hasn't been discussed, at least in this thread, is outfitting the boat. Spare parts, tools and the ability to repair all the systems on the boat is critical to successful long distance cruising!
        Jim Gandee
        1989 3888
        Hino 175's
        Fire Escape
        Fyrflyer@ca.rr.com

Comment

"Jim Gandee" post=820744 wrote:
          One huge aspect of living aboard while also traveling, especially to remote area, that hasn't been discussed, at least in this thread, is outfitting the boat. Spare parts, tools and the ability to repair all the systems on the boat is critical to successful long distance cruising!
          Absolutely Jim

That is why I think that it is best to buy your boat early and spend time on it while you are still working. That will allow you to outfit the boat for your needs and cruising habits. You will also learn the systems and have time to build a spare parts stash.

KEVIN SANDERS
          4788 LISAS WAY
          SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

You will love it. I am a live aboard in north myrtle beach South Carolina. It is a great place to be on a boat. The summers are a little warm but the winners are not bad. There are a lot of marinas available. The monthly rate is very reasonable for this area . If you decide to come this way give me a shout. Becky and I would love to hear from you.
            Just love being on my 3870............Bill
            1985 3870
            Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
            Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
            Live on board full time.
            North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

We're looking for recommendations for marinas in South Carolina/Georgia.
              Steve & Cary Sober
              Woodstock, VA
              SURPRISE
              2000 Bayliner 4788
              Cummins 370's
              Kent Island, MD

Comment

• kspellman02
                kspellman02 commented
                Editing a comment
                We stayed at Brunswick Marina in GA. Free beer....cheap fuel....good slip rates.

Bill, we are seriously looking at marinas in SC. Osprey, just south of Myrtle Beach looks great but I'm curious about where you are because it looks like you're next to a good grassy strip for dog. We will probably drive down soon for a look there and at a few other places, maybe as far south as Savannah. Would love to hear from you about your experience.
              Steve & Cary Sober
              Woodstock, VA
              SURPRISE
              2000 Bayliner 4788
              Cummins 370's
              Kent Island, MD

Comment

Yes there is plenty of grassy areas around Dock Holiday Marina. The only problem you may have is all of the slips are privately owned. A large number of the owners rent there slips out. I am renting mine. There are some slips available for rent by the month. There is a lot of shopping and eating facilities in this area. If you need one there is a West Marine in walking distance. For most needs I do not have to go far from my boat.
                Just love being on my 3870............Bill
                1985 3870
                Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
                Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
                Live on board full time.
                North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Originally posted by kspellman02 View Post
                  We just came off of our catamaran in the Caribbean and are looking at a 4788 as a livaboard here in FL and the Bahamas...
                  Kevin - just curious: did you consider living aboard your catamaran? We are planning to live aboard in a few years in Ventura, CA, and I'm considering cats as well as monohulls like the 4788. Would appreciate your input!

Comment

• kspellman02
                    kspellman02 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    David.....we lived aboard our Leopard 40 Catamaran for about two years in the southern Caribbean. It is a great way to go. We had some family matters that brought us back to the U.S., plus when we looked at our cruising once we came back, bridges on the ICW and motoring along it made sense for us to sell it. We had a buyer from the U.S. pick it up in Turks and Caicos.
                Working...
                X