Wintering-Over in NY State-gctid578134

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wintering-Over in NY State-gctid578134

Thinking about the Great Loop only because I want to go back to NY State's Hudson Valley and the Erie Canal System.

NY State will take me most of the summer if not all of it and the following year and so I will have to winter-over up there.

So, if I wanted to winter-over on the canal system, can I just simply haul-out and drain the water systems on my boat or do I have to stretch wrap for additional protection while I live in a winter apartment or can I actually live aboard?

I lived in the Hudson Valley while essentially a non-boater so I know how cold it gets further north, not to mention the snow.

What do you northerners do in the winter?

"TonyB" post=578134 wrote:
    Thinking about the Great Loop only because I want to go back to NY State's Hudson Valley and the Erie Canal System.

NY State will take me most of the summer if not all of it and the following year and so I will have to winter-over up there.

So, if I wanted to winter-over on the canal system, can I just simply haul-out and drain the water systems on my boat or do I have to stretch wrap for additional protection while I live in a winter apartment or can I actually live aboard?

I lived in the Hudson Valley while essentially a non-boater so I know how cold it gets further north, not to mention the snow.

What do you northerners do in the winter?
    Here in the Buffalo area we winterize the water systems and AC, fog the engines, drain the water from the block and treat it with antifreeze, stabilize the fuel. Some cover the boat and store it outside, I keep mine inside.
    Bob
    "Easy Living"
    2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
    Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

Comment

Bob

Do you store your boat inside on your property or are there inside storage facilities at the ship yards?

Comment

"TonyB" post=578155 wrote:
        Bob

Do you store your boat inside on your property or are there inside storage facilities at the ship yards?
        My marina has both outside storage with shrink wrapping and inside storage where I keep mine. Most marinas have outside storage.
        Bob
        "Easy Living"
        2007 Discovery 246, 5.0L MPI, CC, B3
        Boating on the Rappahannock River, Virginia

Comment

Here in the Buffalo area we winterize the water systems and AC, fog the engines, drain the water from the block and treat it with antifreeze, stabilize the fuel. Some cover the boat and store it outside, I keep mine inside.[/quote]

+1 here in Rochester which is an hour from Buffalo

Our Dock Master is a full time live aboard and they stay in the water year around. From what I know they have bubblers to keep the ice from forming.

Also it's a 61' trawler (steel hull)

Comment

You're smart to Consider hauling in western NY state. It's very inexpensive, and friendly. 1/2 of what I paid in Ontario. These guys can store you indoors and heated. http://www.4csmarina.com. I'm pretty certain you can't live aboard in their sheds, but.... there are numerous marinas just like 4Cs and you might find one that can accommodate you.

Comment

Working...
            X