SALT WATER USAGE-gctid565736

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SALT WATER USAGE-gctid565736

Currently I have a 97 2855 and it spends about 5 months in the water in Lake Michigan every year. When it comes out in the fall the bottom and lower unit have very little growth and almost no muscles on the drive. Lake Michigan is very easy on this type vessel. I was thinking about getting a similar boat to leave down on the Gulf coast somewhere and use as a winter home for about 3 months as a cheap winter getaway. I am concerned about how well this type vessel holds up in salt water when left in the water this long. I'd appreciate your experience if you have had this type of boat in the water for a prolonged period of time.

Bottom paint+anodes you should be fine
    Joon, Kathy, Jaden & Tristan
    93 3058
    92 2855
    91 Fourwinns 205
    Longbranch WA
    Life is Good

Comment

You could always look for the dry stack option.

Comment

"kltjs" post=565759 wrote:
        You could always look for the dry stack option.
        +1 then you don't have to worry about it sinking in the slip either.

Comment

Wouldn't be very livable on the dry stack. I want the boat in the water when I'm there.

Comment

Right. Dry stack it when you are gone, keep it in the water when you are there. Keeping it on the hard under cover will reduce the maintenance and keep the boat in better condition. Bottom paint for use in salt water for 3 months out of the year is a good idea. We run ours in salt water for 8 weeks at a time and the barnacles and sea growth are already starting to have their way. Make sure the outdrive has a good coat of paint, and as has been mentioned make sure your anodes are in good shape too.

Comment

You can purchase bottom paint in a aerosol can to spray the outdrive. You need to sand the drive first to prep for painting. Pep
              Pep & Felicia
              1991 3288 150 hino's

Comment

Thanx to all who replied.

Comment

Working...
                X