Combo Washer/Dryer-gctid557464

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Combo Washer/Dryer-gctid557464

Thinking of getting washer/dryer combo, not much room in the slip or the boat (maybe in the cockpit). Tired of running to the folks or laundry mat weekly. The long term goal is to be able to cruise at will, without having to pack land locked stuff in storage. I understand there are transient marinas with these ammeneties, but don't want to count on it. So I'm looking for recommendations on combo units, ie..brand, vented or ventless, power consumption, pros and cons of your recommendations.

I have been thinking of a vented unit due to the fact that one, dries the clothes faster, (I think)(more energy efficient), two, I could possibly build an enclosure in the cockpit for it (no room inside the 3870), unless I remove the wet bar and ice maker.

Your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

When I was shopping for the 3888, I saw one with the master head removed and a Splendide installed in its place.

Comment

I didn't think about that. I almost thought of the closet in the guest stateroom. Also trying not to add anymore weight to the starboard side. With full tanks, empty waste, and spare props/tools to the port, I still have a slight starboard list.

Comment

I did remove the wet bar and ice maker. A Splendide washer/dryer was put in. Don't make the mistake I did by getting the non vented unit. It takes almost two hours to dry the clothes. It uses steam to dry, which means it will take a lot of water to do a washer load. If I had it to do again I would use the unit with the electric drying. Don't get me wrong the unit does a very good job. It just takes a long time to do a load and it takes a lot of water.
        Just love being on my 3870............Bill
        1985 3870
        Twin 130 Mits. not turbo charged
        Name of boat is "Plenty Of Fish"
        Live on board full time.
        North Myrtle Beach, SC

Comment

Not sure where to install it. But I highly recommend Splendide machines. I installed a stackable set on our boat and love it. LIke you, I got tired of lugging laundry to the mat and spending half my Saturday there.

Also, the vented units are great. Much more efficient than the non-vented units.
          Patrick and Patti
          4588 Pilothouse 1991
          12ft Endeavor RIB 2013
          M/V "Paloma"
          MMSI # 338142921

Comment

Been looking at the Splendide machines. I'm thinking vented. And then there's where to put it. Want to add some weight the the port side, as there is nothing I can move to get rid of my slight starboard list. It's not bad or critical, just annoying. Considered two possibles, 1- the cockpit with an enclosed cabinet. 2- the clothes locker in the crew berth (plumbing would be easy, but venting might pose an issue).

Thanks for all the input. Still got some thinking to do on this one.

Barry

Comment

I don't have one on my 3870, but have seen a pic of where someone installed a unit on the port side in the master stateroom, on top of the small shelf forward of the tub. Just another thought.
              Charles
              '89 3870 M/Y
              Located on Galveston Bay
              Prior boat '85 300SB Sea Ray
              Lost in Hurricane IKE

Comment

We have an unvented washer in our 2000 47. It looks like the PO never used it and we have not as of yet. Is it possible to convert a non vented to a vented?
                2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                MV Kia Orana
                Currently Alameda CA

Comment

I don't think so ... I would call a dealer and inquire. We have a vented version and it does a good job and actually dries our clothes unlike our friends 490 that has the non vented version. They don't even bother using it as just doesn't dry their clothes.

Hope this helps!

Note:

Smitty477 is correct that is where our vent hose is located .. it goes up and is vented outside on the side of pilothouse. You could replace with a vented unit and simply instal an exterior vent and run the vent hose as Smitty477 described.
                  1994 4788

Comment

"We have an unvented washer in our 2000 47. It looks like the PO never used it and we have not as of yet. Is it possible to convert a non vented to a vented?"

Open the back panel where the bunk beds are to get a good look at where the lint filter is - if you see an opportunity to mount the air removal hose back there (maybe a filler plate or knock out) on the washer dryer the conversion may not be that big a deal. Certainly adding the hose and outlet on the port side is not a problem - so see if you can attach the hose to the dryer back there easily.

Hope this helps
                    Northport NY

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will check it out when I next get out to the boat in January. I will post back my findings.
                      2000 4788 w Cummins 370's, underhulls, swim step hull extension
                      12' Rendova center console with 40HP Yamaha
                      MV Kia Orana
                      Currently Alameda CA

Comment

Working...
                      X