Fresh Water pumps-gctid537997

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh Water pumps-gctid537997

What is the concensus of leaving the fresh water pump turned on all the time ?...I leave my hot water tsnk turned on so leave the pump on too...Can I leave the pump turned off ?

We turn off the power to the Water Heater and the water pump when leave the boat.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

We do too. Actually, we don't ever leave the water heater on for more than enough to heat what we want to use. It is kind of old & I really don't trust the thermostat to shut off like it should. Don't know how to test it.

Comment

We live aboard year round, and always have the water pump and the water heater on. 5 years, no problems.

We also don't hook up to city water.

As the water tankage is already onboard, the worst case is that we have a water tank failure, and the water dumps into the bilge.

Comment

"Pau Hana" post=538097 wrote:
          We live aboard year round, and always have the water pump and the water heater on. 5 years, no problems.

As the water tankage is already onboard, the worst case is that we have a water tank failure, and the water dumps into the bilge.
          +1 when we were living aboard. Now that I am not living aboard I turn off the water pumps and heater when not on board.
          Alan Teed
          MOONDANCE
          '94 4788
          Gig Harbor, WA
          Previously:
          2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
          Bayliner 2855
          1977 Cal 34' blowboat
          1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
          Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

I do the same, I also keep a new pump in my spares for the time it quits in the middle of a shower.

Comment

"River cruiser" post=542551 wrote:

I do the same, I also keep a new pump in my spares for the time it quits in the middle of a shower.
              After an episode with a balky pump I replumbed my fresh water system with two identical pumps in parallel, using PEX pipe and separating the two pumps with valved connections. I can now easily switch from one pump to another, and with a third replacement pump as a spare can easily switch up pumps as needed. Of course ever since I have installed this upgrade I have had zero pump issues
              Alan Teed
              MOONDANCE
              '94 4788
              Gig Harbor, WA
              Previously:
              2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
              Bayliner 2855
              1977 Cal 34' blowboat
              1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
              Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

I liveaboard 9 months of the year, I leave the pump on 24-7. Just turning it on when I need water and I could have a leak in the system & not know it. With it on all the time if I hear the pump cycle when I'am not using any water that tells me to check the system for a leak or bad check valve on the pump. I leave the water heater on all the time also don't really have a good reason for that.
                Capt. Ron.
                "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
                "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
                1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
                Hino EH700
                Westerbeke 8.0
                1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
                on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

One of our previous boats sprung a leak in the water system, pump ran dry. The pump and water heater element failed. We now turn off the water heater and pump when leaving the boat for an extended time.

Comment

I turn mine off most of the time now...But I have to remember to turn up the bale on the ice machine. I try to leave on only the minimum of stuff because I always think it is good not to have things fail when I'm not there. Just my 2Cts worth.

Comment

+1 on all of the above.

The only time we shut off the hot water and some of the electricity is when we will be gone for a week or longer.

If my water system were to spring a leak, like the one time it did, we can hear the pump on when it shouldn't have been.

When you live aboard, you become unconsciously sensitive to any and all sounds on the boat. Same as when anchored out.

Comment

Working...
                      X