Moisture under mattress-gctid533438

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moisture under mattress-gctid533438

Here's a new one. Just pulled our mattress up in the V-berth on our 4788 and found that it is soaked underneath. Standing water on the white melamine and the underside of the foam is saturated. A few mold spots starting on the foam also.

I am thinking that our heated mattress pad is the culprit - causing condensation. As we live aboard all winter, this might be what is happening. Anyone have other ideas? We have ruled out leaks.

Any thoughts on avoiding this in future?

Al

You are exactly correct.

There is a mattress pad you can get that goes under the mattress and creates an air gap between the mattress and base. This stops the mildew.

At the Seattle boat show, the pad will set you back about $100 for a queen size bed.

Comment

Thanks! We were there for a few days but I am always looking for an excuse to go back! I'll look thru my showguide.

Comment

We had the same issue on the 3888, but not as severe as you're experiencing. It only happened in the early spring when water temps were still really low. And, we didn't live aboard, so we just propped the matt up each morning to dry thoroughly.

Here are some commercially-available ventilation aids

http://www.empind.com.au/shop/item/a...ion-mesh-acs10

http://www.hyperventmarine.com/products.html

I heard of one guy who used cedar fence lattice. He says it worked well, smelled great.

Comment

Hey Mike - So I've looked around and found that there is a commercial furnace filter material that looks exactly like that at Home Depot in rolls for cheap. I'll check it out and report back if it seems crushproof. I think it is for commercial A/C or furnace filters.

Comment

I purchased pink insualtion board, 1" thick at Home Depot.

It came in 2'X2' squares, and I cut it tp fit with a knife,.

Haven't had a problem since.

KEVIN SANDERS
            4788 LISAS WAY
            SEWARD, ALASKA

Comment

"FRANTIC-AL" post=533444 wrote:
              Thanks! We were there for a few days but I am always looking for an excuse to go back! I'll look thru my showguide.
              Hypervent is the trade name- thanks Whiskywizard!

Comment

We use the Hypervent and have had no issues although we're not live aboards...

Comment

Have the same problem in our explorer but we are full time live aboard. Will have to see if I can find that mesh stuff locally. Some great ideas here, thanks guys!

Comment

FWIW If you want a DIY solution that is proven;

The previous owner of my 4788 fabricated a 'subfloor' below the mattress using a couple of sheets of 3/8th (i think) ply with numerous 3" holes drilled through it. This is mounted on wood pads every 18" or so in all directions which elevate it and allow air circulation. I am not sure I would have gone the same route as it must have been quite a bit of work. But I have to say it works perfectly.

Regards

Alan
                    Alan Teed
                    MOONDANCE
                    '94 4788
                    Gig Harbor, WA
                    Previously:
                    2006 Hylas 49' blowboat
                    Bayliner 2855
                    1977 Cal 34' blowboat
                    1981 Hunter 33' blowboat
                    Experience: Sail 50 years, Motor 15 years. 2 Transats, 1 Baltimore-Virgin Islands, 6 Months cruising Caribbean, 3.5 years cruising Med.

Comment

I thought of doing something quite similar. It would give me a few extra inches of sleep space on either side and would allow an easy storage place for snowboards, just slide em right under! However as we do not plan on living aboard forever, may not bother do the work.

Comment

I liveaboard 9 months of the year on the Mississippi River & have never had any problem with moisture or mildew. I have 3" memory foam toppers on the original mattress I don't know if this has anything to do with it. For heat I use the built-in electric units & the reverse cycles, I've been on the boat when outside temps were in the teens. The humidity I think is pretty low until the weather warms up and then it's either windows open for ventilation or closed and AC units on, they'll suck 5+ gallons a day of moisture out of the air.
                        Capt. Ron.
                        "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
                        "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
                        1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
                        Hino EH700
                        Westerbeke 8.0
                        1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
                        on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

I bought a plastic snap together garage floor covering. It is about 1/2" thick and is fully vented. It comes in 1" foot square tiles about 8 or 10 in a pack. I can't remember how much it cost, but I recall it to be under $20.00 a bundle. This stuff is really strong as it is meant to drive cars over it. It was really easy to install as it snaps together and cuts easily to do the edge. Places like Home depot sell it. I put it under all the mattresses in the boat.

Carlo

Comment

Smart move Carlo. The boating stuff is so expensive - makes sense that there would be something available in a other market! Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

I live just south of you, about the same latitude as Ferndale, living full time on my 4788, and I have no moisture problems so it leaves me wondering what the source of your problem is.

On my boat, the larger of the two water tanks under the master bed was cut and glued when the PO installed a bow thruster and a telescoping mast for a forward looking sonar, a lot of gear jammed in there. This large tank will leak if over filled, more than 95 percent full. I can't see where it leaks from, so I just don't fill it all the way. Even with this problem, my bed is still dry.

I was wondering what you heat with, if this would make a difference. I have a Hurricane hydronic system with hot water routed throughout the bilge areas front to back, keeping everything and everywhere warm. Any thoughts?

Comment

Working...
                              X