Delaware Bay-gctid358743

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delaware Bay-gctid358743

I'm planing to move my boat from Delran (NJ) to Wildwood (NJ) it is 2855 (99) and traveling at 23-25 knots it burned about 13 gallon an hour (110 gallon tank) and trip is 109 miles and appox 4 and half trip. I mapped on my computer using offshore navigator, it appear to use appox 71 gallon leaving with 39 gallon left. If my math is right, is this a safe amount left for this trip I know 1/3 out 1/3 back but this is one way, I been in the Delaware bay 3 times, (I know it is not enough) weather is always an issues and it turns into washing machine with wave, but I got to learn and push my knowledge in doing so. I was hoping someone with good knowledge and background (of the my boat)of the bay when is the wave too big, since the river is much easier to navigator you can see it before heading out I will travel down for 2 hours before reaching the open bay. So my question is in reading the or listen to marine forecast what so I be looking for since spring is always changing, what would the maxium wave size to handle. Walt sorry if too long of post but wanted to show I willing to try less than great boating weather.

Sounds like a fun ride. I would recommend making the trip on an outgoing tide and make absolutely, positively sure the wind isn't blowing from the east.

Tom

Comment

First off, I have to ask if you got your fuel consumption numbers from a fuel flow meter? The reason I ask is because I have a 2455 and it burns about 10gph @ 26kts which comes out to about 2.8 mpg on smooth water. I would have thought that a 2855 would burn much more fuel than that.

Anyway, if you burn more fuel than that, you can always stop in a Rusty Joe's (formally Money Island) in Fortescue which is about 3/4 of the way. Yea the bay can get plumb nasty if the wind is against the current, but it's not really the wave size but the frequency that makes for such a nasty ride. I've been out there a few times over the last few years and the largest swell waves that I've seen is about 5'. You will encounter 3-4 footers much more often. Again it's the frequency and the steepness of the wave faces that have given the bay it's washing machine reputation. The last time I was out was back in November on a 51 footer at the mouth of the bay, and as usual the NWS totally blew the wind forecast. The wind was blowing a solid 25 kts out of the southeast with gusts approaching 35kts against an outgoing tide. Really snotty conditions, but being aboard such a large boat turned them into bumps. I'll be willing to bet that the captain was glad he hung his side curtains on the fly-bridge station that day 'cause the the spray from busting the waves was blowing over the fly-bridge.

As far as a 28 footer goes, I would try to stay in the lee of the land if it starts getting snotty and duck into the ICW as soon as you can which is just south of the town of North Cape May. You can follow the canal into Cape May Harbor then make your way to Wildwood. As far as the ride goes, I usually go out with a friend who has a 26' Albemarle and honestly, you will probably run at less than 25kts unless you want to rattle your teeth. I would try to time my trip on a good wind day and leave at first light or earlier cause the wind always seems to pick up later in the afternoon.

Comment

My flow meter has shown appox 13 to 13.4 gal at 23 to 25 knots by gps (3200 to 3300 rpm). I like the idea of stopping for gas and port in case of too rough day. So it the wind that I need to track speed and which way it blowing. So do anyone have idea how much wind is too much, again thanks for your respond, my friend want to go fishing at same time. Walt

Comment

I made the trip after a couple weather delay, love it and now I'm in Wildwood for summer..

Comment

Glad to hear you made it. :coo-

Did you hit any rough water?

If so, How bad was it and how did the boat handle?

Comment

I'm not in your area, but I do cross the channel out here quite a bit. I'm in the santa monica bay as soon as i pass the break.

The boat is quite capable, but work within your limits and take your time. Look at the NOAA marine forecast and also the national buoy data, it will give you wave heights winds etc.

link it here

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/
              sigpic
              MDR3055
              "GREEN JEANS"
              '99 Bayliner 3055
              Merc 5.0's Bravo 2's
              Marina Del Rey, CA

Comment

Well upper bay was 1 to 2 ft but further down 2-3, i stayed up on plan but every 4th or 5 th wave the bow splash it thru love it not sure if it is ok to do. When i docked well the drawer open and mess to to clean but I had a smile Walt

Comment

Working...
                X