new to boating, does the bayliner 175 have a seacock?-gctid358661

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to boating, does the bayliner 175 have a seacock?-gctid358661

i just a 2003 bayliner 175 runabout and i was wandering if it has a seacock and if so where would it be? im also having a hard time starting it with out choking it, is this normal for the 3.0L mercruser?

It shouldnt have a seacock unless there was a reason for it. My 1998 3.0 was a bit cold blooded but im sure there are ways to help that out a bit.

Comment

There should not be a seacock, no reason for one.

As for the starting, I have found that these engines are very temperamental when cold. Lots of stalling and rough idle until well warmed up.
      Greg A.
      1994 4788
      "Simplicity"
      2002 Capri 175
      "Little GFI"
      Boat on the Sac/San Joaquin Delta

Comment

thanks for that, so your saying that its just cold natured?

Comment

tower do you have any idea where pitot tube for the speedo is and if so do have a pic that might show it? i must be looking right over this thing, my speedo is not working and before i take it in i was told to check that first?

Comment

garywoods wrote:
            tower do you have any idea where pitot tube for the speedo is and if so do have a pic that might show it? i must be looking right over this thing, my speedo is not working and before i take it in i was told to check that first?
            the speedo tube hooks into your drive and runs to your dash.sometimes dirt gets in the hole in your drive that faces the stern of your boat.make surethat small hole is clear.the way the speedo works is with water pressure and if that small hole is plugged it receives no pressure.if you lift your drive you should see a small hose under the bellows make sure it is hooked up

Comment

garywoods wrote:
              i just a 2003 bayliner 175 runabout and i was wandering if it has a seacock and if so where would it be? im also having a hard time starting it with out choking it, is this normal for the 3.0L mercruser?
              i used to pump my throttle 2 or3 times then leave throttle at quarter open. let it run at about 1000 rpms for a minute and you should be good to go

Comment

Count yourself lucky at least your MC has a choke. My old VP doesn't and it can be grumpy when it's cold.

First thing you want to do is make sure everything is tuned and timed and adjusted. read your manual and spend a day tuning the thing up new points, plugs, wires, timing is set, make sure the choke is adjusted properly, MAke sure your shift interrupt switch is adjusted properly (although if it starts and goes into forward and reverse then it probably is). Look at it anyway as they can be problematic if they get out of adjustment. I always install a Pertronix electronic ignition if your doesn't already have one. I don't know what year MC started using EI or EFI for that matter. If it does have a Electronic Ignition there is a module that can be problematic but usually the engine won't start at all.

There is a great mechanic based website forum I use exclusively for mechanical advice. I come here for all the rest of my Bayliner.

Comment

jamie thanks for that info i found the tube and i disconnected it last night and tried to see if it wasa clogged nothing also blew into it and nothing at the gauge either. so i guess im going to have to suck it up at get a gauge lol. i did notice that when i took the boat out the first time that no water was in the hull of course we didnt take on any water but nothing was coming out of the bilge tubes on the side, question is should i leave the bilge on if nothing is coming out? it seems that would burn it up

Comment

If the tube is clear check the notch on lower part of drive facing the stern that is where it senses the pressure sometimes dirt becomes lodged there not allowing the water to travel into the tube. if there is no water in your bilge and your pump is running shut it off

Comment

Hey Gary,

The hose could be plugged further along or even broken, also check that it is connected at the back of the speedo.

You don't need to run the bilge pump all the time. Turn it on if the boats been sitting for a while, rain water seeps under the covers. Otherwise just check the bilge and see if it need to be pumped.

Comment

jamie mac wrote:
                        i used to pump my throttle 2 or3 times then leave throttle at quarter open. let it run at about 1000 rpms for a minute and you should be good to go
                        Same here for mine, choke it, pump couple of times, let it idle and you should be fine to go. My feeder tube for the speedo would always get something in it ,and found mostly that is was something right at the opening in the outdrive. Toothpick worked for me.

Never use the blidge pump unless there is water in it, and always run the vent blower for 5 min before starting engine. I usually start mine up when preping the boat to launch.

Also consider taking a safe boating class from either Power Squadron or Coast Guard Aux.

Comment

If you blow through the tube and the speedometer needle doesn't move, remove the tube at the speedo and try blowing through it towards the pickup (with the tube not connected at the pickup end). If the tube is clogged it's cheap and easy to replace. I once cut out a clogged section and repaired it with nylon irrigation hose fittings and it was even more inaccurate then when it was original. The tubing is sold by the foot; buy more than enough and don't cut it to final length until you are ready to fasten it at both ends, to avoid being too short. Do not run the boat with the tube disconnected from the speedo: the water that normally compresse the air in the tube and causes the needle to move will enter the boat.
                          1998 Capri 1950CL
                          3 Liter MerCruiser
                          Furuno 1622 Radar, Garmin echoMAP44dv, Garmin 300 AIS receiver, Uniden Cl 2 VHF with Hailer,
                          2 batteries with Combiner, Joystick Wakeboard Tower

Comment

Well I start mine differently and it starts first time every time since I changed a starter solenoid. Basically I put my blower on for about 20 seconds, then I press the primer button on the throttle for a further 20 seconds, pump the throttle fully 6 times and turn the key. This is from cold and have never had a problem.

Sorry just added, I don't have a choke !!! Also re the bilge pump, I never switch mine on and don't even seem to have a drop of water in the engine bay after trips but my boat is stored in a garage so no rain water, but I do have a float bilge so if water goes in there it will switch on automatically. The auto one was only about $30 in Oz.

Comment

Working...
                            X