2858 - plywood shelf supporting batteries won(39)t drain-gctid357893

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2858 - plywood shelf supporting batteries won(39)t drain-gctid357893

On my 2002 model 2858, the batteries and some other equipment are mounted on a plywood box or shelf, in the port side of the engine comparment. The waste holding tank sits beneath it. This is the way it came from the factory, but it's a very poor design, because the shelf has a plywood lip all the way around it, and there are no drainage provisions. So any water that seeps in through the hatches collects in the bottom.

This has been bothering me for years, as the battery boxes and everything else on the shelf are usually sitting in a puddle. This has gotten worse lately, since I moved my boat from covered in-water moorage to dry storage on an uncovered rack. At the aft end of the shelf, there's some kind of electrical terminal bracket that's badly corroded from sitting in water all the time.

I finally decided to do something about it this weekend. I thought it would be a simple matter to drill some holes in the shelf, but when drilled a hole at the aft end, the drill went through the plywood and seemed to hit something else, something harder. I stopped immediately, thinking, is there something below this thing that I shouldn't be drilling into? The shelf in that area is completely boxed in below, so no way to see what's back there. Maybe it's just a corner bracket they use to assemble the shelf, but I'm paranoid about drilling into something I shouldn't.

My question, does anyone know what's under there, and is it okay for me to drill these drain holes? Surely with all the smart people on this forum, somebody's already had this problem and figured out a solution. Draining the forward part of the shelf will be trickier, because the holding tank sits directly below. Poking a hole in it would be a very bad idea! Any help would be much appreciated.
    2002 2858 Ciera flybridge
    For,merly 1998 2855

With out seeing what you drilled into it is hard to offer any help. To better understand the sitch, did you drill the hole straight down into the shelf? On our Contessa that shelf draines into the bilge (under the engine). If you drilled straight down the hard thing you felt may be the rack your boat is sitting on.

Comment

Remove some of the lip?

Comment

I'd remove all the lip and then add a piece of ply, well treated with poly or resin or whatever)

mounted (( NO screws,use epoxy or 5200)) on wedges with a slight inboard angle

Vic

Ft Myers
        Vic Stewart SN
        Past Commander
        Cape Fear Power Squadron
        Ft Myers Power Squadron
        1998 2859 7.4 L/B2
        Raw water cooled

Comment

My 2859 has the same basic battery storage area with the lip. At the transom end of the lip they have cut out about 2" of the lip, down flush with the floor of the storage area. The cut out area has a light coat of gel coat for protection. If any water gets in the storage area it will drain out this cut area in the lip and into the bilge. If the water does not totally drain while the boat is tied up in a slip, or where ever, it will totally drain when you go to get up on step. This would, I think be the easiest way to solve your problem.
          1999 2859 Volvo D4 260 DPH:arr

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The idea of cutting out part of the lip had occurred to me, and maybe that's the safest course of action. However, I doubt this will drain the area 100%. Granted, once we take the boat out and get it on plane, the water will drain, but I'd still be concerned with the long winter layup, when the boat sits on a rack for a month or two at a time without going out on the water. Removing the lip completely would do the trick, but would be a fair amount of work. I'll take a closer look at the area to see what that would involve.
            2002 2858 Ciera flybridge
            For,merly 1998 2855

Comment

Same boat, same issue. I haven't gotten around to figuring this one out, but I have sort of addressed where the water comes from. I've found the only reason water puddles on that shelf is because it leaks through the hole in the hatch where that stainless steel "pull tab" is--the handle you use to lift up the hatch. It's the same on the starboard side except the water drains off that side's shelf, and the main engine hatch where it drains into the bilge. So, I put a plastic yogurt cup directly under that pull tab. Over the winter it has virtually stopped any moisture on that shelf. After a week of rain though, I have to drain that cup as it's full. I bet if I modified those 4 pull tabs with a better design (the style where the pull ring sits in it's own, recessed 'pocket') I'd have a dry bilge!

Comment

Working...
              X