Clear All

The history of the US Coast Guard.-gctid341889

http://coastguard.dodlive.mil/2012/0...=Yahoo%21+Mail
    Started boating 1955
    Number of boats owned 32
    Bayliners
    3870 presently owned
    Favorite boat. Toss up. 46' Chris Craft, 3870 Bayliner

Thanks for that link. My dad who turns 90 in a couple of days, served in the Coast Guard during WWII. I will send him that article.

Comment

Very good reading......... THANKS!!

BUCKANEER

:arr

Comment

We live in Michigan in the summer on Lake Superior near Whitefish Point.

While snowmobiling in the 70's we came upon a group of old buildings. Later I found out it was a life saving station manned by those mentioned in the article.

Some of the buildings have now been restored. The main one was a 3 story building with a lookout on top. It was to watch for floundering ships and wreaks.

The first pic is the restored building. The second pic is pretty much like we found them. http://michpics.wordpress.com/2008/0...aving-station/

An old timer told me they used to walk the beach on patrol from Vermillion to Whitefish Point and West to Crisp Point lighthouse looking for shipwreaked sailors. He said there were half way houses between each. He said they were in poor repair but were still there but wouldn't tell me where they were. He said they had been pushed back in the brush by waves.

I was determined to see them. The snowmobile maps were made from old government maps and they showed a notation (half way house) on them.

I measured the distance from Vermillion and took my 4wd pickup down the beach marking off the distance on the speedo.

Walked East for a ways and saw nothing. Went West just a short distance and saw something red. It was the roofing on the house.

More like a small shed but it was there. On the walls were some carving saying a shipwreaked sailor spent the night and gave the date.

I found a stone they used to sharpen their knife that must have been used by many as it was worn quite a bit.

I told the old timer I found one and he told me where the other one was and I found it also.

Like a fool I had no camera and they have been lost forever.

I have never seen a picture of them but I have some books with stories about shipwreaks in the area. The life saving station had a ramp built high on the beach extending into the water.

When a ship floundered or sunk they would push their boat down the ramp to the water to launch. Then they rowed out to the ship.

Now ships don't flounder in calm water and the waves on that shore are enough to frighten a person.

These guys were hero's and real men.
        Started boating 1955
        Number of boats owned 32
        Bayliners
        3870 presently owned

Comment

"These guys were hero's and real men."

It is truly amazing the fortitude and courage displayed in those times.

thanx Doug

Comment

Yes they were heros. I have some books with pictures of shipwrecks and their rescue. I was looking for a picture of the launch ramp I saw in one of those books but couldn't find one.

I did run across this and thought it an interesting read.

http://www.chicamacomico.net/Service_History.htm

The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is rich in history of tough men who were lumberjacks, miners, along with these guys and others.

The lighthouse at Crisp Point has been recently saved from falling in Lake Superior. It is an interesting place to visit.

There is an old lighthouse between Paradise and Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan that is now part of the National Forest Service. There is an interesting job there.

Sort of a lighthouse keeper. Your duties is to show the lighthouse to visitors and sell a few items like books and things and be a presence there.

The Forest Service provides for your keep (no food) including Internet and satellite tv. You get no pay and can only stay for a year.

They have a huge waiting list from people all over the world wanting that job.

http://lighthouse.boatnerd.com/galle...oquois-egb.jpg

Visitors can climb to the top of those that are open to visitors.

Doug
            Started boating 1955
            Number of boats owned 32
            Bayliners
            3870 presently owned

Comment

Working...
            X