DIY boat painting-gctid357138

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIY boat painting-gctid357138

Anybody ever taking this task on themself? Is it more difficult than sanding, painting and sealing? Im just a newbie who buys a boat before sea trialling and loves to bite off more than i can chew... any advice?

Planning to will it to the Smithsonian institution as a perfect example of the model?

then don't listen to me, listen to the experts who will tell you yada, yada, yada and either have never done it or have so much money in it they can't ever sell it for close to their investment.

Just want it to look good? Get a good single part paint like Pettits easypoxy, follow the directions and enjoy. And yes, I have done it to two boats.

Let the flaming begin

Comment

Well there is more than one way to paint a boat. I would.say that if you have no experience at it I would either practice doing what ever method you chose on some thing else other than a boat like that.

It can be spray painted and it can be rolled and tipped. Unless you have spraying experience I wouldn't suggest it for a beginner.

There are several types and brands of paint and even for the cheapest you will have $1000+ in materials you wouldn't want to waist it. My paint I bought for my boat is $700 a gallon +expendables like reducer clean up thinner and so on. My boat needs 7 gallons of paint. You do the math.

With out experience me personally wouldn't take a painting job that large on but then it really depends on your skill level and your final expectations.
      1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
      twin 454's
      MV Mar-Y-Sol
      1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
      Twin chevy 350's inboard
      Ben- Jamin
      spokane Washington

Comment

boatommy wrote:
        Planning to will it to the Smithsonian institution as a perfect example of the model?

then don't listen to me, listen to the experts who will tell you yada, yada, yada and either have never done it or have so much money in it they can't ever sell it for close to their investment.

Just want it to look good? Get a good single part paint like Pettits easypoxy, follow the directions and enjoy. And yes, I have done it to two boats.

Let the flaming begin
        Like I said it really depends on skill level and finally expectations.
        twin 454's
        MV Mar-Y-Sol
        Twin chevy 350's inboard
        Ben- Jamin
        spokane Washington

Comment

Back in 2010, I painted the flybridge on my boat; and later that year, I painted the entire top half of my boat. Here is the thread:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...read.php?54228

To this date, the paint has performed extremely well. The boat has received plenty of wear and the paint is holding up very well. There are a few minor scratches where the anchor chain rubbed against the bow, and a few on the deck...but they are hardly noticeable.

I would highly recommend considering this method. It is less costly than marine topside paint and has served me very well. I have received several compliments; and after telling them it was Rustoleum, they were floored.

Comment

yachtman wrote:
            My paint I bought for my boat is $700 a gallon +expendables like reducer clean up thinner and so on. My boat needs 7 gallons of paint. You do the math.
            David... I'm beyond curious. What on earth are you using that costs $700 per gallon...? Just doing a Google search, http://"http://www.google.com/produc...e: <br /> this is the most expensive paint I found...and it's waaaay below $700/gal. Inquiring minds want to know!

Comment

Top or bottom?

When I'm painting the bottom the biggest difficulty I encounter is managing all the volunteers that I take-out during the season that are now champing at the bit to help me.

Comment

Astral Blue wrote:
                David... I'm beyond curious. What on earth are you using that costs $700 per gallon...? Just doing a Google search, http://"http://www.google.com/produc...e: <br /> this is the most expensive paint I found...and it's waaaay below $700/gal. Inquiring minds want to know!
                Sterling linear polyurethane. Paint+ hardner = $700

I should point out a couple of things. What ever materials you decide to use make sure you follow the safety precautions. Some boat paint materials can be toxic and can and will kill you if used with out protection and used properly.

Also you don't paint boats below the water line with the shinny stuff(topside paint). Generally the below waterline area is painted with bottom paint.
                twin 454's
                MV Mar-Y-Sol
                Twin chevy 350's inboard
                Ben- Jamin
                spokane Washington

Comment

Next time you want to paint it let me know. My cost for Sterling linear poly is under $200 per gallon for the paint and the same for the hardener at fisheries supply in seattle. I'll be glad to get you my price plus 10% and shipping.

Looks like you are paying about twice what you could be paying.

Comment

boatommy wrote:
                    Next time you want to paint it let me know. My cost for Sterling linear poly is under $200 per gallon for the paint and the same for the hardener at fisheries supply in seattle. I'll be glad to get you my price plus 10% and shipping.

I didn't pay $700 that is just what retail price is. I got it for less than half that but most people don't get the kind of discount I can get
                    twin 454's
                    MV Mar-Y-Sol
                    Twin chevy 350's inboard
                    Ben- Jamin
                    spokane Washington

Comment

If you do not need the linier type paint, then you may want to consider the Interlux perfection 2 part polyurethane paint, I prefer spraying; rolling and tipping is an art in it's self, takes an expensive brush and some practice. If using the linier paint follow the directions to the letter.

A friend of mine in Seward, AK had someone paint his topsides with Sterling paint, the 2 helpers working for the operator appeared to forget the catalyst or not enough, took 2 weeks to air dry, there are places you can use your thumb nail and scrape it off; the end result was much worse than you could imagine, it all needs to come off, all 3 coats, yes they rolled it 3 times trying to get it right. Much more to it than this comment. Do not let this comment discourage you!

You could provide the materials and prep the boat, then hire an auto body painter to spray it.
                      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                      Twin 350 GM power
                      Located in Seward, AK
                      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatommy wrote:

I'll have to bug for that discount myself Tommy. I bought this old trawler and she's gonna need everything topside painted. I'll roll & tip it I suppose, but the surveyor had a great idea about doing the shiny parts with an HVLP touch up gun. I can spray very well, but have never tried rolling and tipping.
                        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

SomeSailor wrote:
                          I'll have to bug for that discount myself Tommy. I bought this old trawler and she's gonna need everything topside painted. I'll roll & tip it I suppose, but the surveyor had a great idea about doing the shiny parts with an HVLP touch up gun. I can spray very well, but have never tried rolling and tipping.
                          Sterling liear polyurethane is hard to beat but is expensive. It will last 20 years with no waxing or polishing just washing. It is very slippery to walk on though.

I understand that the awlgrip linear stuff is right up there too but also is costly
                          twin 454's
                          MV Mar-Y-Sol
                          Twin chevy 350's inboard
                          Ben- Jamin
                          spokane Washington

Comment

After reading all that, maybe this first year out ill save that money for all the repairs ill encounter... If anyones at Wabasha Marina, feel free to come on over and offer advice- Ill be the guy cussing up a storm when the bellows, impeller, and who knows what else breaks... oh and when i stop cussing youll here the faint voice of my wife sayin i told you this wasnt a good idea hahaha- fingers crossed and happy boating everyone! Its right around the corner!!!

Comment

Apex,

I certainly wouldn't take on painting my new boat prior to getting her seaworthy and shipshape!

Just don't be afraid to tackle new challenges if YOU feel they are within your abilities. I have done what I told you you could do. Lotsa folks here are telling you not to try.

Do your own due diligence, watch the U-tube videos (weren't available when i painted my first boat), read the spec sheets. Decide if you want a show piece, or a boat that looks good and if ya scratch it, you know how to fix it?

These are actually tools we are talking about, boats are a tool that allows us to get on the water and enjoy ourselves. If you want or need or covet a shrine, there are a lot of cheaper ways to get one than owning a boat.

Sorry, rant over, mostly . . .

fair winds,

thom

Comment

Working...
                              X