1988 3218 - how about it?-gctid357059

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 3218 - how about it?-gctid357059

What do you think about it? Price sounds good. No trailer, though. They say the engines have 200+ hours on them. They have been replaced. Missing front v-berth cushions. waste tank needs to be replaced - Hmmmm... I can only imagine how they know that. They say it's real clean - but they're car salesmen. I didn't get real serious with them about it - it's a long ways from me in Sherman, Texas. They say it would take $4 grand to move it to me. Wife would shoot me for sure.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bod/2877661330.html
    Ron Everson
    1975 Reinell 21' Cutty Cabin w/225 OMC
    1989 Bayliner 2755 Cierra Sunbridge w/460 OMC King Cobra

I would be really suspicious to buy a boat in those circumstances. At a minimum you would want to have a survey done, and if they are sketchy characters they probably won't work with you in that regard anyhow. I wonder how they ended up with the boat.

Comment

...for the $ 15K you will offer only if they agree to a survey.

Rick

Comment

Those pictures look fantastic. I didn't know they came with V8's. That would be the only draw back for me. Unless there is something seriously wrong with it, I would buy it.

Shop around for shipping.

Comment

Ron Everson wrote:
          What do you think about it? Price sounds good. No trailer, though. They say the engines have 200+ hours on them. They have been replaced. Missing front v-berth cushions. waste tank needs to be replaced - Hmmmm... I can only imagine how they know that. They say it's real clean - but they're car salesmen. I didn't get real serious with them about it - it's a long ways from me in Sherman, Texas. They say it would take $4 grand to move it to me. Wife would shoot me for sure.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/bod/2877661330.html
          No trailer tho, ??!!??

Son, you are obviously in real foreign territory here. You have no idea what you are looking at.

Get some schooling on motoryachts before you start throwing your money away.

Just my $.02.

Comment

freedre wrote:
            No trailer tho, ??!!??

Son, you are obviously in real foreign territory here. You have no idea what you are looking at.

Get some schooling on motoryachts before you start throwing your money away.

Just my $.02.
            My thoughts exactly, you do not just put a 32 on a trailer and hook it up to the F150. You would need a small semi and over size permits everytime you put it on the road. Plus good luck finding a boat launch you could launch it from. Additionally the starboard side engine vent is broken, everything looks original. I did not see any upgrades so I would question how it has been taken care of. And what is with the anchor hanging upside down? Is that how they do it in the south?

Comment

Geez, a broken vent wow. Tough audience.

That is a great price. And it looks clean in the pictures.

Check it out, get a survey and go for it.

Yes, it's not a trailer boat. No reason to not go for it. Everyone has to learn somewhere.

Comment

trophyboat wrote:
                Geez, a broken vent wow. Tough audience.

That is a great price. And it looks clean in the pictures.

Check it out, get a survey and go for it.

Yes, it's not a trailer boat. No reason to not go for it. Everyone has to learn somewhere.
                Do you have any idea of the cost for normal maintinece on a 32? Or what engine vent covers cost? Engine hatch covers? I just dropped $800.00 on those. Or what a holding tank costs or how to replace it which will probably require cutting an access hatch in the floor at the lower helm and the expense of that? Those are the point, plus the point is that if they have to be stated then there is a learning curve that needs to happen here before taking a plunge. Hell I spend more to take care of my boat than a lot of boats a worth.

Comment

Noticed it has a Florida registration, the boat is located in Texas, yet the craigslist ad was from Phoenix? Might want to also make sure it has a clean title..

Comment

Lots of good discussion here, and that's all I was trying to accomplish. You've all made good points. It's interesting that they told me that they had sold the trailer that came with the boat. The usual story - picked up the boat cheap through a divorce sale - and then it was owned by their Company President - as if that makes it any better. Boat was on the Dallas Craigs list also. I saw the damaged vent cover in the photos, also. Um, both my boats have the same issue - I need to replace them, also, but haven't got to that yet. I should also replace the engine hatch cover on our 2755 - it has a lot of hairline cracks and it's a little springy. I did replace the holding tank & piping on the 2755 when the engine was out. I wondered whether you would need to cut a hole to get access to the holding tank on the 3218. Anyway, it's winter time dreaming - I'd love to have a look at it - but I'm not about to spring for it. Couldn't afford to haul it to Powell and then fix it up. I certainly wouldn't want to pull it with my short bed F-250. Heck, I couldn't afford to fill the tank - it would have to be a dock queen. Slip fees are not something I want to be stuck with either, so I'll just have to be content with a trailer boat. It would be nice if our local big lake, McPhee had slip or bouy services, but our Marina was torched years ago, the slips are gone, and the breakwater sank - welcome to Southwest Colorado! Anything I see on CL requires some serious research before considering it, and extreme caution to make sure you don't get screwed. If this is sitting in the water, I would sure want to see the bottom and drives. That's where the survey comes in - at least you might find out most of the problems that you were taking on. If it was on a closer lake, I might look at it - and just look.
                    Ron Everson

Comment

always dubious when on CL so far apart. I have mine listed in ATL and Chattanooga which makes geographical sense.

That said, find out where it is really at and let us know. We've got friends all over the place that like to look at boats for other pepole...

Comment

For anyone who's interested, I understood that the boat is on a lake near Sherman, Texas. It does look like a good price, but $15K sounds better if some one is willing to take it on. As with all older boats, it can turn into a money pit real quick.
                        Ron Everson

Comment

Working...
                        X