Hull damage question-gctid355958

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hull damage question-gctid355958

Hello, I looked at a used boat today and noticed one of the bottom ribs (as I called them) had a few gouges, there were small in length, about 1/2" x3 separate ones about the same size but the fiberglass hairs were showing. There was no signs of an impact, just looks like pieces of gel coat fell off. Of course the guy said he never noticed them but they were never a problem. How bad is that and what might entail fixing them. The only other thing I noticed was one of the exhaust manifolds had a crack and water was leaking out while he was running it. He was going to fix that before I picked it up in a week or two. My main concern was the hull.

I would keep looking. There are lots of boats on the market.

--

Where you see damage on the outside of the hull look on the inside for cracks. If you see a spiderweb of cracks the damage is the result of impact.
    Jim McNeely
    New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
    Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
    Brighton, Michigan USA
    MMSI # 367393410

Comment

A crack in the ex manifold may be a freeze issue, keep looking.
      Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
      Twin 350 GM power
      Located in Seward, AK
      Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Yeah... if he "didn't notice" raw fiberglass showing on the hull... and it has cracked manifolds, I'd keep moving. Lots of nice boats out there these days.
        Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Yeah, I'd save the survey money and keep looking.

You are planning to have a survey aren't you?

Comment

JimMc wrote:

--

Where you see damage on the outside of the hull look on the inside for cracks. If you see a spiderweb of cracks the damage is the result of impact.
            Thats the weird thing, there were no scratches or any other impact marks. It looked like the gel coat just fell off in places. I was on youtube and was searching and a boat restoration company said this is "more common than you think due to resign void". There was no spider cracks just a few small pieces missing.

Comment

Not as common as you'd be lead to believe...

iBoatNW

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
                A crack in the ex manifold may be a freeze issue, keep looking.
                I though so too but the motor made absolutely no noises, it took a few tries to get started but after sitting for months thats to be expected with a carb. engine. It doesn't leak anywhere (except that manifold) and sounded very good. There was no white frothy residue on either the oil dip stick or the valve cover breathers. He said he's going to have it fixed or replaced before we would take it. Other than those two issues the boat was in great shape. Oh what to do.........

Comment

briyoung wrote:
                  Other than those two issues the boat was in great shape. Oh what to do.........
                  OK... so the guy "never noticed" the missing gel coat and exposed cloth beneath... and his response is: "I'm gonna get that fixed..." when water is running from the manifolds (and he still starts it?).

I'd find someone who takes a little better care of his boat.

iBoatNW

Comment

And you are planning on getting a survey aren't you?

No offense intended but the level of your questions suggests you really need someone else to look at this boat for you.

You can spend the money having a professional appraiser tell you about this boat, or you can spend it having a professional appraiser tell you about a boat that appears fine to you. Either way, they know more about boats than you do now, or will learn online.

Comment

JimMc wrote:
                      yep

+1

Keep looking - use this one to learn from (the easy way).

Comment

Nikko wrote:
                        yep

+1

Keep looking - use this one to learn from (the easy way).
                        Sounds like you will find a lot more issues as suggested I would look elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                        X