Geez another boat fire-gctid355932

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Geez another boat fire-gctid355932

So far no official cause but the mention of power from extension cord. It seems that boaters who use heaters to keep from winterizing or for what ever reason end up burning up their's & other people's boat or just sinking their own when a thaw comes. Hope no BOC members boats were involved.

http://m.pressofatlanticcity.com/mob...9bb2963f4.html
    Capt. Ron.
    "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
    "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
    1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
    Hino EH700
    Westerbeke 8.0
    1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
    on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Man, what a way to save a buck. We had a boat explode at the fueling dock this past summer killing 1 and severally burning 3 other's including an infant. I guess the boat was in need of a few repairs to begin with but that's all hear say......it's just very unfortunate for anyone.

Comment

capt. ron wrote:
      So far no official cause but the mention of power from extension cord. It seems that boaters who use heaters to keep from winterizing or for what ever reason end up burning up their's & other people's boat or just sinking their own when a thaw comes. Hope no BOC members boats were involved.

http://m.pressofatlanticcity.com/mob...9bb2963f4.html
      most heaters now a days DONT have 3 prong plugs.. we searched for months to find one, and finally Fred Meyers had some in.. they put them on sale and we snatched up 2 for our boat.. we winterized it well in all the vital areas.. however its been dipping down really low and the heat lights in the engine room arent enough.. so we plug in the heaters in the engine room and galley and keep on low and it takes the edge off the cold.. the boys and I venture down daily to monitor things, and check and document the temps in the cabin and engine room for the Capt:arr while he is away working. The key to heaters as extra is to make sure the plugs and sockets arent getting hot. I think people plug in and leave it.

Comment

I'am 250 miles from my boat it stays in the slip year round. When I went home in Dec. everything was winterized, thruhulls closed & main circuit breakers off. When I had a boat 30 min. away I kept a oil filled heater on in to keep the chill off & would check on it a couple of times a week. I think some owners leave heat on and never both to check during the off season just come back in the spring & if their lucky their boat & neighboring boats are ok. Over the years I've seen 3 sink & 2 burn, only 1 was during boating season & the cause was dock water left on, a leak & a bilge pump that gave up.
        Capt. Ron.
        "I will not tiptoe through life to arrive safely at death"
        "Never Trade Luck For Skill"
        1987 3870 - Northern Lights ll
        Hino EH700
        Westerbeke 8.0
        1999 Logic Marine 17' CC/50 Merc.
        on Louisiana pool Mississippi River.

Comment

briyoung wrote:
          Man, what a way to save a buck. We had a boat explode at the fueling dock this past summer killing 1 and severally burning 3 other's including an infant. I guess the boat was in need of a few repairs to begin with but that's all hear say......it's just very unfortunate for anyone.
          Passengers should never be on a boat while it is being fueled.
          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
          Twin 350 GM power
          Located in Seward, AK
          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

boatworkfl wrote:
            Passengers should never be on a boat while it is being fueled.
            You don't really mean all boats, do you?

Mine sure seems safe enuff. Nearly impossible to get any in the boat at all and even if it did, it would just hit fiberglass and run off. Nothing hot there.

Am I missing something? I mean, I hear of fumes settling in a cabin but normally I am only putting in say 40 gals max. Not too many fumes could find the way in there,,,,,,,I'm pretty certain anyway,,,,with that fill outside the boat it seems very safe.

Famous last words?

I'll say one thing tho, having read that you wait 5 mins or longer of blowers after fueling: I'd be shot at my marina if I tried to do that. They really keep the boats moving when it's busy!

Sarah

Comment

I would rather be shot than explode.

What I do is keep the blower running while refueling. Then you only need a few minutes after the fueling is done.

I also lift the engine hatch and use my nose before starting.

Now another minute passed and I feel safe.

Comment

most heaters now a days DONT have 3 prong plugs..
                That doesn't buy you the safety you seem to think it does.

You don't really mean all boats, do you?
                Yes.

As far as blowers, I fire them up, wait a couple minutes, and stick my nose by the exhaust. If anyone wants to rush me on this, they're gonna have a problem. Five minutes is exaggerated. Four is the normal recommendation, but two and a sniff test is going to tell you what you need to know.

Comment

Working...
                X