Need a marine radio-gctid354863

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need a marine radio-gctid354863

We just bought a used boat and it does not come with a marine radio. Ive picked the radio I want but as for the antenna....I didn't realize there were so many choices, any suggestions?

I am sure lots more people will chime in here but........do you have a marine store near you? If so go down and talk to them. I am sure they will take care of you. All you need is a the basic 8' whip and then you will have to figure out how to mount it. The antenna will have threads on the bottom and you will screw this into the mount and then if you have adjustable mount, screw it into the side of you boat.

So anyway......just look for a 8' antenna. West Marine has a nice selection. Shakespeare is a brand name. They have a antenna model called the Mariner that starts off at 60 bucks and goes up to 190 bucks.

Have fun

Roger
    2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
    Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2

Comment

Don't know where you will be boating, but you should consider an up-to-date VHF Marine radio with DSC (Digital Selective Calling) capability.
      Two C's 1990 3888 MY, 175 Hinos, Hurth 630 Trannys
      Past Commodore Emerald Rose Yacht Club
      Member International Order of the Blue Gavel
      MMSI: 338030604

Comment

Shakespeare 5225XT. It's the minimum quality I would consider. Brass internals and a solid metal mount.

Comment

As has been said, Shakespeare but buy the best you can afford... cheapies won't last long... What Swampnut said... that's about minimum...
          Doug ;}
          MMSI: 338068776
          "Go Aweigh to" Photos < click on red letters... 2001 Bayliner 2452 w/6.2 HO (paid for)

sigpic

Comment

depends alot on where your boating...off shore??...sound...bay....river.....lake??....

talk to a marine store and ask them for recommendations for your area...

:arr arr

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
              Shakespeare 5225XT. It's the minimum quality I would consider. Brass internals and a solid metal mount.
              +1

Read:

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/fo...ad.php?t=35338
              Captharv 2001 2452
              "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/TRAM-1620-HC-8...0016982&sr=8-2

cheapo, but i'm poor, trailer, and boat in a smaller lake.

Comment

Without knowing what boat you're running or where, it's hard to say.

Coastal cruisers will want an 8' antenna, unless it's a sailboat or a very small open boat, where you might use a short metal whip. Swampnut was correct in mentioning the Shakespeare as a good antenna at a good price.

Personally, I'd spend a little extra and get a radio with a built-in AIS receiver at a minimum, or better yet a Class B transponder. Unless you already planned to spend big on a fully integrated electronics package that had that capability.

In the US all fixed mount radios are now DSC enabled, so that shouldn't be an issue.

If the radio is mounted in an open helm area, you might want to consider an external speaker so you can hear more clearly over the inevitable boating noises. As far as I know they all have a jack for that, and speakers are pretty reasonable.

Another feature to look at is a bluetooth connection for a headset or other device. Or if you use the radio a lot, a remote mic.

Whatever you buy, BE ABSOLUTELY SURE to register for an MMSI number and ENTER IT into the radio. If you have a GPS, interface that to the radio so the DSC distress calls can include your location.

Comment

I also strongly suggest Shakespeare 5225XT. Watch the video. Dont buy a cheap antenna. Not all 8' antennas are the same. I have the 5225 and am very impressed.

Comment

My two cents.

VHF is line of sight (straight line) transmitting.

Height of the antenna above the water,plus the db rating (3,6,or 9 db ) equal increasing range.

Happy Boating
                      Richard
                      1988 3870 Bayliner

Comment

LTCret wrote:
                        My two cents.

VHF is line of sight (straight line) transmitting.

Height of the antenna above the water,plus the db rating (3,6,or 9 db ) equal increasing range.

Happy Boating
                        Yes a 9db antenna has more range but it is also more directional. On a pitching boat your signal may be intermittant. The 3db has the least range but is the most forgiving. 6db is the middle ground.

Height is always to your advantage.
                        Jim McNeely
                        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
                        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
                        Brighton, Michigan USA
                        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Thank you for all the inputs. Its going on a 1992 Bayliner 2052. Most of our boating will be in a bay with occasional trips out on Lake Erie. About the only place I can think to mount it is on the side with a stainless steel ratcheting mount.

Comment

With all that has been said......have you thought of a 5 watt hand hold vhf radio?

Roger
                            2001 Maxum 3000 SCR
                            Twin 5.0L w/ Bravo 2

Comment

While a good radio is a must a good antenna is a more must IMO. My 96 2855's antenna went bad and I had to replace it. It was probably the least expensive antenna (cheap) that could be put on a boat. When I replaced it I spent a lot more and got the top rated Shakespeare antenna that could be bought. I was amazed at how much better the radio operated. Expensive radio-cheap antenna = poor performance. Mid range radio-top of the line antenna = better to good performance. Top of the line radio and a top of the line antenna = very good performance.
                              Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                              West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                              www.wrycc.com

Comment

Working...
                              X