Speakers for radar arch of 3055/305-gctid354760

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speakers for radar arch of 3055/305-gctid354760

I just sold my old GPS until on ebay, so now I have a little paypal cash to play with.

My stock rear speakers in the radar arch kinda suck, so I'd like to replace them. I'm not putting in amps, or subs, or anything like that I just want a decent speaker that has some bass and won't sound crackle when I turn it up a little bit. Any good recomendations? Plug and play would also be a nice perk (I don't feel like doing any fabrication to get new speakers to fit.)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

John
    2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
    Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
    Bravo II drives
    Closed-cooling

Fusion marine speakers would be a good choice.
    1989 Avanti 3450 Sunbridge
    twin 454's
    MV Mar-Y-Sol
    1979 Bayliner Conquest 3150 hardtop ocean express.
    Twin chevy 350's inboard
    Ben- Jamin
    spokane Washington

Comment

I got some west marine ones which I have been happy with. Had to replace the starboard cut outs as they were slightly larger (diameter) and about a half inch deeper. On the starboard side the bolts for the grab handle are directly behind the speaker so had to build them out a bit. I had TAP plastics do it all and it was like $60 or something. I have been happy with it.

Pics in my album.

Comment

I replaced mine with Kicker Marine and they are very nice. I had to make new screw holes, no other fabrication required.

My old ones were rotted and crumbling.
        Jim McNeely
        New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
        Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
        Brighton, Michigan USA
        MMSI # 367393410

Comment

John, if you want very good quality and unbeatable sound JL M series speakers are the best . they are true crossover speakers . There is an mx series also which is a step down . Classic and sport grills are available for both . If you shop them make sure you dont buy the component pair which has a separate tweeter you have to mount. I have the M770 pair in my cockpit , they are a 7 " speaker WOW. They come in all different sizes . Search Amazon and Ebay , you can find the 770s for under 300 a pair. Very pricey but WOW.

Comment

Just replaced mine with 6.5 Fosgate Marine speakers they sound great. Did have to space our 1/2" to fit

Comment

JL Audio. Even the bottom of the line from them will be better than "best" junk at West Marine.

Comment

Ok, thanks for all the info. That helps. Anyone know offhand what size the stock speakers are? That will be a good starting point for what size speakers I should buy.

Anything else I need to consider, like ohms or watts, etc.?
                2003 Bayliner 305 - SOLD!
                Twin 5.7L, Carb'd, 445 hours
                Bravo II drives
                Closed-cooling

Comment

Replaced mine with JBL speakers. For a 6.5" speakers they are hard to beat I think.

Comment

I would say JL all the way. I went a little crazy and I have 10 JL full range speakers and 2 JL subs, and they sound great. I have listened to two of them at a time in the cabin, and they sound fantastic. You may want to consider amplification though - makes a huge difference. If you are only installing two, you will need a pair that can carry a workload, and JL's will do that. Don't pay retail though - you can get a better price from your local JL dealer.

Comment

Hey Will,

Got pics of where you put the Subs and stuffed all the speakers outside? I've been considering mounting some tower style speakers on the bottom side of the arch and using the original cooler holder to place some subs. Would love to see what you went with.

Comment

West Marine brand on sale right now for $69. Great speakers for the money.
                        Phil, Vicky, Ashleigh & Sydney
                        1998 3055 Ciera
                        (yes, a 1998)
                        Previous boat: 1993 3055
                        Dream boat: 70' Azimut or Astondoa 72
                        Sea Doo XP
                        Sea Doo GTI SE
                        Life is short. Boats are cool.
                        The family that plays together stays together.
                        Vice Commodore: Bellevue Yacht Club

Comment

I have pics of the system somewhere, but for now here are some pics that I could find with the speaker locations. I have two 7.7s in each side of the arch, a 7.7 in the dash, a 7.7 below the cupholders on the port side seat, a 10 in sub below the throttles, and a 10 in sub in the port wall below the triple cupholders. The remaining four speakers are in the cabin. Hope this helps!

Comment

Nice pics Will. Looks awesome and everyone is happy.

Comment

Thanks! Counting the days until spring!

Regarding the audio system.... it really was overkill, and I don't think I would spend the money if I could do it over again, but it is fun at the beach when you need to blow out some punk who wants to play crap all day!

Comment

Working...
                              X