Looking for a particular LED light.-gctid354342

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a particular LED light.-gctid354342

At the boat show I ran across a fellow selling a particular LED light that I decided to try. I've tried a bunch of alternatives to the traditional bulbs that came on the boat and short of spending about 35/each for the 30 or so we have on the boat, I hadn't found a solution that worked.

Most of my fixtures are like the old single post car light, 1156.

The lights I found at the show were sold by a vendor who's real product were some sort of stacking kitchen containers. He just had these lights on the table and was selling them for 15.99 each. They were flat panels, with 3 different ends that you could attach, making them suitable for several different applications.

they are marked: Blackhawk Convertalight Led lights. On the back are check boxes for white, blue or red.

Turns out they are amazing and perfect for what I'm looking for. Very bright and slightly warmer then several others I've used.

Trouble is, I lost the guy's card and all I remember is that his phone number had a 509 area code.

Anyone ever run across this product? I've tried searching with no success. (which could be more a reflection on my poor skills then on how hard they are to find)

thanks in advance.

toni

Those are referred to as "SMD" I use them in the boat and even at home for under counter lighting to garden lights. They work very well and have yet to burn one out. This is what fits in my boats lights. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=....c0.m270.l1313 This is what I assume you are referring to or similar. http://www.ebay.com/itm/24-SMD-LED-U...ht_4590wt_1413 Led lights should be no more than $7-$8. I got mine for $6.
    Cheers, Hans
    2007 Carver 41 CMY
    Twin Volvo D6-370
    Montreal, Canada
    Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Toni,

Have you tried this site? There is a category just for the 1156/1157 lights.

http://www.ledlight.com/1156-1157-au...ed-lights.aspx

If you're looking for a universal panel, I actually have two in my radar arch. I purchased them for super cheap on ebay (from Hong Kong or China). Just search for something like 'LED panel adapter':

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

I bought a pair for $3 shipped. It took a couple of weeks but saved some money - especially if you get dozens of them. Quality on par with ones I purchased here locally.

Comment

The concept of that mount is widely available. The tough part with LEDs is they are NOT all equal! Cheap LEDs tend to have a greenish cast, lower light output, and lower light angle. They also wear out FAST compared to good ones. I've compared high quality lights to the ones generally available on eBay and Superbrightleds.com, and there's a pretty huge difference.

Comment

Search your local Lowes. I've been very happy so far with these arrays ($8) and are a simple solder job to convert an old bulb base to an LED.

Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

SwampNut wrote:
            The concept of that mount is widely available. The tough part with LEDs is they are NOT all equal! Cheap LEDs tend to have a greenish cast, lower light output, and lower light angle. They also wear out FAST compared to good ones. I've compared high quality lights to the ones generally available on eBay and Superbrightleds.com, and there's a pretty huge difference.
            Guess I have been lucky as most of my stuff comes from eBay/Hong Kong/China. All my boat interior lighting including nav/anchor and underwater flood lights. 32 lights around the soffit of my home, 24 garden lights, about 50 in cabinet and under cabinet lights throughout the house, 27 GU10 style led bulbs, 35 chandelier style led, and a bunch more of varying types throughout the house and all of these are dimmable. Not a single one has failed yet. I did get a batch from China once that did have a greenish hue to them but this was only once on a super cheap deal through China/DH gate. As a testament to the durability of a led I have a cheap flashing red led I bought at radio shack and installed on my garden shed door as a theft deterrent. This was installed 18 years ago when I built my house. Flashing 24/7 for 18 years straight and it still is going strong after all this time.
            Cheers, Hans
            2007 Carver 41 CMY
            Twin Volvo D6-370
            Montreal, Canada
            Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

holy buckets, thanks so much for the responses. I'll check the various places out, but at least for many my uses, the 48 led panels should work o.k. I do realize there is some, "you get what you pay for" in all of this, but if you're as ignorant about anything that has current running through it as I am, it becomes more a case of asking, or trying one of everything until you get it right.

It appears that my good deal of 15.99 a light was only about 12 bucks a light more then it should have been.

Comment

Careful on colour selection as this is mostly personal preferance. Cool white is very white into blueish and is around 5500-6000kelvin. Warm white resemble your standard incandescent bulb around 2700-3000K. White is somewhere in between. Personally I find the cool white to sterile for my taste and prefer warm white. Like I said, personal preferance.
                Cheers, Hans
                2007 Carver 41 CMY
                Twin Volvo D6-370
                Montreal, Canada
                Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

courtjeste wrote:
                  It appears that my good deal of 15.99 a light was only about 12 bucks a light more then it should have been.
                  I stopped at that same guys table Toni. He couldn't give me any sort of quantity deal so I went elsewhere. The ones from lowes are in the 3200 degree range and are nice and warm. I don't like the harsh blue look myself either, but these have been great.
                  Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

Check out Hero LED, I have done some group buys for interior lights. Great service, no shipping no tax and haven't had any problems. Think last time we got interior lights they were $4.50 a pop, compared with West Marine at $18.00 or something like that.

Machog
                    1996 4087 Lazy Days
                    2011 11’ West Marine Rib 350 Lazy Mac
                    2011 Porsche Cayman
                    2010 Lexus IS 250C
                    2008 Honda Ridgeline

Comment

Not a single one has failed yet.
                      Me either. The colors are just off and brightness falls off slowly over time. Since photography is a hobby I have meters to measure light intensity and colors, it's not subjective. This problem with LEDs is well documented.

Comment

I agree on the Lowes LED replacements. They are a little more expensive than ebay, but they have a big selection, and their warranty is pretty good. Save the package, if they fail, Lowes refunds or replaces, hardly any questions asked.

Comment

Try this site on Ebay for several types of LED,s, this one is std light bulbs, search other items.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251001477608...84.m1438.l2649
                          Pat says: DO-IT-RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Bayliner 3870 "ALASKA33)
                          Twin 350 GM power
                          Located in Seward, AK
                          Retired marine surveyor

Comment

Working...
                          X