Right of Passage No More-gctid353768

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right of Passage No More-gctid353768

Since 2001 there has been a law not enforced that required a Canadian Recreational boater that travels through international waters to report into CBSA ( Canada Border Service Agency ) upon reentering Canadian waters. The law now is going to be enforced.

What does this mean? Well for those of you in Crescent Beech Marina traveling to the gulf Islands you will have to check in going to and coming from the Islands. For the rest of us West coasters care must be taken not to venture to far south on your way to East Point or Cabbage Island. What a pain in the A$$.

Fine is $1000.00 and loss of vessel.

And how was your day :thumb
    John McLellan White Rock BC
    "Halifax Jack"
    1999 2855 383 stroker BII
    MMSI 316004337

Will this apply to the BC ferries?

Edit: Never mind, just read the news story. Commercial vessels exempt. Maybe we should all be commercial vessels.

Comment

Was this related to the case in Ontario last summer of Roy Andersen of Baldwinsville, N.Y.?

http://www.bassmaster.com/news/canadas-border-crackdown
      Rod
      1991 4387
      Sidney, BC

Comment

A Canadian Tax that American boaters can contribute to.

Comment

It may be a pain to make that phone call to let them know you are coming and going, but how else is security to be established?

I for one like my friends to call me and let me know they are creeping through my backyard to come visit me so I don't have to go intercept and identify everyone I think is a trespasser.

The world is evolving and you can't keep your head in the sand and hope everyone is going to be nice to you.

Comment

Security? Really?

Comment

hfxjack wrote:
              Since 2001 there has been a law not enforced that required a Canadian Recreational boater that travels through international waters to report into CBSA ( Canada Border Service Agency ) upon reentering Canadian waters. The law now is going to be enforced.

What does this mean? Well for those of you in Crescent Beech Marina traveling to the gulf Islands you will have to check in going to and coming from the Islands. For the rest of us West coasters care must be taken not to venture to far south on your way to East Point or Cabbage Island. What a pain in the A$$.

Fine is $1000.00 and loss of vessel.

And how was your day :thumb
              If you didn't see the need for a NEXUS card before, you soon will.

Do you have any links to the news? I'm interested to see how that will be handled on the St Lawrence.

Comment

All this will do is catch those unknowing boaters and punish them for not knowing. The real bad guys will call in and let you know they're coming with cookies, but show up with sack of crap instead.

Comment

[QUOTE]whiskywizard wrote:

/QUOTE]

For me the NEXUS card has been a total waste of my time and money when traveling to Canada. I have had my boat searched every year since I got mine. I have been traveling to Canada by boat for over 30 years and have never had a violation or an issue with customs, other than money missing after they searched my boat. I will not use mine when entering Canada again. I will just pull up to the customs dock and wait for the Gestapo to arrive. Trusted Travler my A$$

Comment

It would be really nice if they forced the Canadian Border Officers to pass an IQ test and a Common Sense test before giving them the uniform and gun. You got to remember that most of this crowd of over priced clerks would be serving coffee at Tim Horton's if they loss the border job. Trouble is, they can cause real problems when allowed to "think for themselves".

I suggest all real Provincial Officers pull all border services vehicles over whenever they see them on the highway and put them through the full paper check writing up anything they find. If border services got pulled over every few miles it might send a message...... not that they would pick up on it quickly.

Comment

whiskywizard wrote:

Do you have any links to the news? I'm interested to see how that will be handled on the St Lawrence.
                      Or Rainy River. The border runs along the river all the way to Rainy Lake from Lake of the Woods. 90% the fuel docks are on the US side.

I`d like to hear about others living on the US side of LOTW to see what it will be like. We may not venture down there this year.

Comment

[QUOTE]billsguns wrote:
                        whiskywizard wrote:

/QUOTE]

For me the NEXUS card has been a total waste of my time and money when traveling to Canada. I have had my boat searched every year since I got mine. I have been traveling to Canada by boat for over 30 years and have never had a violation or an issue with customs, other than money missing after they searched my boat. I will not use mine when entering Canada again. I will just pull up to the customs dock and wait for the Gestapo to arrive. Trusted Travler my A$$
                        Maybe there's a couple of reasons for your difficulty A) Have you applied for a BR# to go with your Nexus Pass? B) Maybe Bill there looking for your guns??? lol

Comment

[QUOTE]bristleboy wrote:
                          billsguns wrote:

Maybe there's a couple of reasons for your difficulty A) Have you applied for a BR# to go with your Nexus Pass? B) Maybe Bill there looking for your guns??? lol
                          What is a BR#

Comment

Only US Customs cares about a BR#. It has no relevance to Canadian Customs.

We have Nexus, moor in the US, and are Canadians. We have had nothing but pleasant, polite, and good natured agents on both sides of the line when we phone in to clear each way. On land, the US agents are WAY tougher going down than the Canadians coming back home.
                            Geoff & Jen
                            Shocking Lesson
                            1986 3870
                            Hino 175's

Comment

If you have a nexus card and phone in when you cross the border, do you still have to physically check in to a customs station?

Comment

Working...
                              X