Russia(39)s answerer to the Hercules (Spruce Goose) ??-gctid352976

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Yep, experimental ground plane effect transports. The idea was abandoned, as that sort of "flight" can be unstable and unpredictable do to variations and such. And at only 50ft off the ground, a mistake meant catastrophe. It's funny you mention the Spruce Goose, as many argue that it's famous attempt at flight was merely ground plane effect. This same effect is what makes for the most challenging part of landing a normal aircraft as well, F.Y.I. Cool stuff though.

Leave a comment:

• SomeSailor
    replied
    That technology is amazing too. They can cruise in ground effect and are extremely efficient and fast. They can stay under most Radar and would be very effective in a coastal assault.

Very cool technology.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    The new tennant..

.jpg][img]/media/kunena/attachments/vb/655888=24826-dr-evil[1].jpg[/img]

Leave a comment:

• 706jim
    replied
    Just think about the money and effort required to design and build this thing!

It's also amazing just how derelict the whole thing looks; abandoned like a school in Chernobyl.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Who wanna tip in to buy that thing as a group buy? TIME SHARE ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!!

Sorry I could resist the idea....lol

What is the gas mileage come again?!?!?!?!?

Leave a comment:

• Mocoondo
    replied
    That thing has *fun* written all over it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Wow! Missile tubes (with blast deflectors), "inflight" refueling probe- what a beast!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Jeeez what a monster. I hope they don't destroy it like they do so many "one of a kinds"

Leave a comment:

replied
    the ekranoplan or what was commonly called the Caspian sea monster....saw intelligence reports of this thing back in the 80's...it was supposed to be the fast assault vehicle ..the thing could carry a m55 tank and troops....fly right up to a beach and disgorge them ....the thing never got above 50 ft above the water....flies on surface effects......just an insane way to travel if you ask me...I thought it was turned into scrap by now.....amazing piece of machinery.......

:arr arr

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    so..ah...what did you type in the search bar when you went looking for THAT?

Leave a comment:

• Russia(39)s answerer to the Hercules (Spruce Goose) ??-gctid352976

http://igor113.livejournal.com/51213...age=1#comments
Working...
X