2000-2003 Ciera 2855 changes ?-gctid352906

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000-2003 Ciera 2855 changes ?-gctid352906

Looking to move up and was wondering if there is any major changes to lean towards?

I have a 1998 (and love it) but I do know the newer models have a better seating layout above. Also, from at least 2002 the rear cabin (main sleeping area) has a door, which is a nice feature in my opinion. My year has a curtain.

Comment

Fuel injection.
      Simo
      2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
      Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

simo wrote:
        Fuel injection.
        That's a good one. Are you happy with the 350 Mag compaired to the Big block?

Comment

If you want the big block, you'll need to stay with 2001 and earlier.
          Jeff & Tara
          (And Ginger too)
          Lake Havasu City, AZ

2000 Bayliner 3388
          "GetAway"
          Cummins 4bta 250s

In memory of Shadow, the best boat dog ever. Rest in peace, girl. July 2, 2010

Comment

3 wide wrote:
            That's a good one. Are you happy with the 350 Mag compaired to the Big block?
            No comment. I'm just highlighting a difference.
            Simo
            2002 2855 350MPI Bravo III on Lake Champlain -> SOLD!
            Downsized to a couple of kayaks for now.

Comment

simo wrote:
              No comment. I'm just highlighting a difference.
              I think I like the lighter small block with only 10 HP less. A little more room in bilge area too !

Comment

I think it was in '01 that they added the privacy door to aft cabin.

I'm pretty sure it was '02 that they eliminated the big block and went with the smaller 350 mag

Not much change at all between '02 and '03 save some cosmetic changes in the interior. Example: in '03 a dedicated niche for a TV. (however they just took some storage space away to do it. Not at all necessary these days with the flat screen tVs)

I'd be a little skeptical with a B III prior to '01. I think they may have made some improvements to the mercathode system. (I'm thankful my 10 year old drive has no corrosion issues....and it's kept in salt/brackish water 6 months a year) mines an '02

Comment

The 2000 model is when there were many changes/upgrades introduced. The interior cabin received a lot of changes, including an aft bedroom door, a more modern wood texture as opposed to white with wood trim, and other little cosmetic changes that supplement the look and feel. The captains chair also changed from a pedestal type style to more of a [single person] bench type seat with storage below. The outside also received a more 'rounded' and modern feel.. (most apparent on the arch, engine vents and windows.). The more rounded & modern exterior, the upgraded interior & fuel injection is what sold me on the 2000 vs. a 1996-1999 model.

2001 through 2003 I believe received very minor upgrades, including a darker wood[like] interior and more neutral/modern fabrics.. and different engine options.

As far as the engine goes, I'm unsure of the engine options in 2000+ but I'd recommend the 7.4L MPI with Bravo III. I think that's a perfect fit for this boat. Even with 10 on board, I'm able to plane without a huge fight (albeit near full-throttle and guzzling that gas!). 350 would be a good choice as well but may have trouble with a very large load.

NOTE: There are actually two 2000 models.. I am quickly able to identify them by looking at the port & starboard windows from the outside. The 2000 model before the big changes has two separate windows. The 2000 model after the changes has one long 'teardrop' window.

Comment

3 wide wrote:
                    Looking to move up and was wondering if there is any major changes to lean towards?
                    The model changed mid to late 2000 and, except for the powerplant, continued unchanged to 2003.

The differences are not really "major" and include: removal of the well in front of the cabin door (the best improvement IMO), a door at the rear cabin (a nice addition), single cabin widows and removal of the bow pulpit.

A really nice boat, IMHO. We loved ours, but it was just to darn fast.

Comment

Thanks for the post's,learning a lot!

Comment

Also looking at 2855's 2000-2001. What I have found is the only major difference is the 7.4 was dropped after 2001 model year. The rest is interior trim colors and that's about it. I am only considering 2000-2001 since they offer the 7.4
                        Port: Sassafras River Georgetown, MD Bayliner 2000 2855 7.4

http://www.chart.state.md.us/video/v...50fa36c4235c0a

Comment

I have the 7.4L MPi and it is a nice motor and ok on gas (considering we're talking boats and not hybrid cars). For the weight of mine at about 6700lbs, its a fairly light boat in its class and the 7.4 gives it lots of push.

In exchange for the room around the engine, weight savings, fuel consumption. I'd probably move to the 350 without too much thought> both are great motors and for every fan of the big block, there are just as many of the 350.

Comment

I own an '02 and have never had an issue with it being underpowered, I had six adults on it multiple times, full with fuel, etc, and the 350 / B3 easily gets up on plane, without the need to trim down. Sceptics are quickly stifled after one spin on the boat.

We purchased the boat in Feb'06 and so far we've had 6 problem free seasons with it, minor things like the batteries, water pump, etc, but nothing that kept us from using it every weekend.

Mine has been "leisurely" up for sale for 2 years on Yachtworld (Freeport, NY), no real desire to part with it, but I will let it go to a BOC member for a great price. PM me if you're interested, I can supply more pics and details.

Comment

Working...
                            X