Mileage-gctid352899

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage-gctid352899

I'm new to boating and have some questions about mileage. I have a 2355 with a 5.0 Mercruser eng. With just my wife and me aboard and a small amount of gear, what speed/rpm shouild i run for the best gas mileage and about what range can I expect with the 55 gallon fuel tank? Thank you

Best speed to mileage is usually your comfortable plane speed, I cant for the life of me remember what my 2355 was. TBH lol I forgot what my 3055 is, you can usually get the feel for your boat when shes on plane where shes happy. I'll be able to tell ya in a couple months

When your running hull speed around 6-8mph for my 3055 I do get better mpg, but I am going alot slower of course.

Comment

I always plan on 2 mpg when negotiating reasonable sea conditions. I usually get better, up to 2.7 or so. That's at 3150 rpm and 23.5 mph using 24 pitch SS props. I just touch the trim up and don't use any tabs - she sings. See my signature for boat, power plant and drive difference.
      1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
      1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
      1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
      2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
      Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
      South Bay Marina

Comment

Eyeman wrote:
        I always plan on 2 mpg when negotiating reasonable sea conditions. I usually get better, up to 2.7 or so. That's at 3150 rpm and 23.5 mph using 24 pitch SS props. I just touch the trim up and don't use any tabs - she sings. See my signature for boat, power plant and drive difference.
        The best I ever got with my 246 was about 2.5. I think we have the same engine.

How much does your 2655 weigh?
        2007 Discovery 246
        300mpi BIII
        Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

I had a 1998 2355 (with 5.7) and I could easily make the round trip to Friday Harbor and back to Everett on a single tank. It didn't leave anything to chance, but that's about 120 miles roundtrip. Figuring 2 NMPG is pretty fair.
          Custom CNC Design And Dash Panels

iBoatNW

1980 CHB Europa 42 Trawler- "Honey Badger"

Comment

706jim wrote:
            The best I ever got with my 246 was about 2.5. I think we have the same engine.

How much does your 2655 weigh?
            Okay. True scale weight w/trailer was 6940# at the axles and 860 on the tongue for a grand total towing weight of 7800#. That was with a 1/2 tank fuel, 10 gallons H2O, 2 gallons in holding tank and full bedding, vests, dishes, accessories.

I don't know the exact weight of boat and gear only, but suspect the trailer to be a couple thousand pounds, putting the boat afloat at 5800 plus passengers.

The 2.7 mpg was traveling with the current, down the mighty Mississippi, with just the Admiral and me. If I recall we picked up 4 mph at the same rpm. Everything we gained heading down stream we lost coming back up. :sorrow:
            1999 Ciera 2655 5.7L BIII "Brenda Lou"
            1996 Skeeter 1850DV 175 Mariner 9.9 Mariner. sold, sold, sold
            1975 Lund 14' 25 HP Mercury. sold, sold, sold
            2008 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Turbo diesel Quad Cab
            Green Bay, WI on the Fox River
            South Bay Marina

Comment

Your 2355 is very similar to the 2455 I used to have. Which drive do you have? I assume the Alpha? Ours got best fuel economy at 3800 RPM which gave around 32 MPH. We had a B3 drive, the A1 would probably be doing around 30. But in any case, your optimum MPG will be right around 3800 RPM. Our best MPG was around 2.5.

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the great replys. So I should est. 2 mpg to be safe. 55 gal = 100 miles. I think my 2355 weights 4600 lbs.

Comment

Eyeman wrote:
                  Okay. True scale weight w/trailer was 6940# at the axles and 860 on the tongue for a grand total towing weight of 7800#. That was with a 1/2 tank fuel, 10 gallons H2O, 2 gallons in holding tank and full bedding, vests, dishes, accessories.

I don't know the exact weight of boat and gear only, but suspect the trailer to be a couple thousand pounds, putting the boat afloat at 5800 plus passengers.

The 2.7 mpg was traveling with the current, down the mighty Mississippi, with just the Admiral and me. If I recall we picked up 4 mph at the same rpm. Everything we gained heading down stream we lost coming back up. :sorrow:
                  I think my trailer weight was 1800lb (empty), so the weight you have figured seems reasonable.

After everything has been considered, you would be wise to go with 2mpg and should usually do a bit better unless conditions are right terrible.
                  2007 Discovery 246
                  300mpi BIII
                  Welcome island Lake Superior

Comment

Working...
                  X