no thermostat-gctid352895

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no thermostat-gctid352895

i have a 1994 2655 ciera with mercruiser 5.0. put in new faria gauges last season just before dry storage. this season, temp gauge not working. one mechanic says gauge is ok, that it's the sensors. replaced them and gauge still doesn't work. checked some more and no thermostat in engine. took it out fishing yesterday and ran perfect. will lack of thermostat show keep gauge from working??

aslo starting was slow and heavy. mechanic said starter fine. put in 2 new 360cca batteries and same thing. got a 3rd delco 960 cca. wired fist 2 in parallel, as "battery #1 and the delco as "batt#2. still starting heavy. i guess replace starter, right??

boat is in la paz bcs mexico and good help is tough to find and parts even tougher. advise??

reshannon2000 wrote:
    [COLOR]#ff0000 wrote:
    (1)[/COLOR]
    i have a 1994 2655 ciera with mercruiser 5.0. put in new faria gauges last season just before dry storage. this season, temp gauge not working. one mechanic says gauge is ok, that it's the sensors. replaced them and gauge still doesn't work. checked some more and no thermostat in engine. took it out fishing yesterday and ran perfect. will lack of thermostat show keep gauge from working??

[COLOR]#ff0000 wrote:
    (2)[/COLOR]aslo starting was slow and heavy. mechanic said starter fine. put in 2 new 360cca batteries and same thing. got a 3rd delco 960 cca. wired fist 2 in parallel, as "battery #1 and the delco as "batt#2. still starting heavy. i guess replace starter, right??

boat is in la paz bcs mexico and good help is tough to find and parts even tougher. advise??
    (1) the gauge needs a feed signal and ground to operate properly. Check for proper wiring, and if a critter got behind the dash and chewed a wire.

(2) Your starter has a heavy draw, but not that heavy. Check your wiring for corrosion, and replace as necessary. If you're feeling adventurous, pull the starter and have it checked- but I'd start at the wiring and starter relay first.

Comment

I would recommend reinstalling the thermostat, your engine will not run as efficiently as it would with one and will decrease fuel mileage. The extra heat is actually good for your motor and will allow it to perform at maximum efficiency.

Comment

As mentioned a motor is designed to run at a certain temperature. Without thermostat you will be running 20-30 degrees cooler than the engine was designed for and will eventually cause problems not to mention running inefficiently as in taking more gas between fill ups.
        Cheers, Hans
        2007 Carver 41 CMY
        Twin Volvo D6-370
        Montreal, Canada
        Midnight Sun I Photos

Comment

Without a t-stat the needle won't move on the gauge unless there is a blockage downstream from it.

As to run with a t-stat or not is your choice. I have a feeling there may be indeed a problem with the motor overheating with one in.

If you put one in go with what is recommended for your engine. If the temp gets anywhere near 190 shut her down.
          Be good, be happy, for tomorrow is promised to no man !

1994 2452, 5.0l, Alpha gen. 2 drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

'86 / 19' Citation cuddy, Merc. 3.0L / 140 hp 86' , stringer drive. Sold ! Sold ! Sold !

Manalapan N.J

Comment

Working...
          X