Launching from a roller trailer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Launching from a roller trailer.

I have a roller trailer and wonder how to launch the boat. Some videos from Boatrexam tell me to drive the trailer into the water until the wheel bearings are just above the water. Is that deep enough? Seems to me that very little boat is in the water and it is going to roll off the trailer...

How much of the bow safety chain do I release prior to launch? Can I rely on the winch brake to keep the boat from rolling off the trailer onto the ramp if I remove the chain?
    Do I keep the handle on the winch or remove it to have better control of the brake knob?

When retrieving, how far from the winch post should the boat hit the rollers to winch it up the rest of the way? Or does the trailer need to be so deep that the boat floats against the winch post?
    Attached Files
    1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
    5.8L OMC Cobra
    2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
    Mountlake Terrace, WA

When I launch my brothers boat from a roller I do the same thing I do with my boat on the bunk trailer. Basically most of the trailer is in the water and I float the boat off. Safety chain and winch strap don’t get disconnected until most of the boat is in the water. Back in a bit more, tap the brakes and my dock hand pulls it back to the end of the dock so the next guy can launch.
    When retrieving I again have most of the trailer in the water, the forward portion of the keel is the only thing that’ll make contact with the trailer target bunk and I typically use the winch to bring the boat the rest of the way up to the bow roller/bow stop. Safety chain goes on next then up the ramp I go.
    Dave
    Edmonds, WA
    "THE FIX" '93 2556
    Carbureted 383 Vortec-Bravo II
    The Rebuild Of My 2556 https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...76?view=thread
    My Misc. Projects
    https://www.baylinerownersclub.org/f...56-gctid789773

Comment

A lot depends on how steep the ramp is. When I trailed, I sometimes had to wet the bearings to get the rollers wet. At Everett I could get our 1985 2450 on and off with the hubs dry but at Washington Park (Anacortes) I had to go further. I don’t recommend Mukilteo. The current flows to the south almost constantly and can get to a couple of knots at the ends of the docks. Plus, the north wind adds to the challenge.
      P/C Pete
      Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
      1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
      Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
      MMSI 367770440

Comment

It depends on how high up the boat sits on the roller trailer, some are fairly low some are pretty high up. Also depends on how steep your ramp is, steep ramp is easier than shallow ones. Now if on a shallow ramp, and you have a boat that sits high on the trailer, it's more difficult. What I do with mine (shallow ramp, sits kinda high) is I take a line put the looped end around one cleat, then run it around the winch post then bring it up and tie it off on the other cleat. Then back in till my Jeep's tires just touch the water line, the boat may not be fully floating but the lower unit is submerged. Then remove the safety chain and loosen winch strap, the line I put across the bow will hold it, so it can't roll off. Climb over the bow, get in, lower drive 1/2 way down, and start up. After engine's warmed up I go up and untie that line the boat can then be backed off the trailer. I do the same thing with my brother's boat, same size bowrider but he has a bunk trailer so we use a steep ramp, instead of my local but shallow one. I also put the longest tongue I could find (Load Rite factory parts) to make it easier and keep the tires out of the salt water.
        Her's a pic....
        Click image for larger version

Name:	end of season 2019 #1.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	148.7 KB
ID:	649231
        88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
        98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
        07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Back down until the stern starts to wiggle float, that is the minimum.
          Likely go deeper from there.

Or have someone who has lauching experience with you.
          " WET EVER "
          1989 2459 TROPHY OFFSHORE 5.8L COBRA / SX
          mmsi 338108404
          mmsi 338124956
          "I started with nothing and still have most of it left"

Comment

How much of the chain should I release before the top of the ramp? Now, on the trailer on flat land that chain is tight. I don't want it to become overtight when the bow rotates around the top roller when the boat starts to float, and I can't remove the chain anymore without risk of injurered fingers. None, a few shackles, a foot, 2 feet? Then push the boat back so it is tight again, but away from the roller?

The boat sits quite high (I think). As for the first ramp I am going to take it to will be Magnussen Park on Lake Washington which seems to have shallow ramps. It has docks so I can test a bunch of stuff in fresh water. And practise docking and low speed handling...
            Attached Files
            1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
            5.8L OMC Cobra
            2 1/2 year restoration project after "all you need to do is put the rebuilt engine back in".
            Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Your safety chain looks taught.
              Click image for larger version  Name:	515A7A6B-32A4-46CC-BA6D-B7D06BDB3077.jpg Views:	0 Size:	616.4 KB ID:	649249
              The safety chain typically has a fair amount of slack in it compared to the winch cable (or strap) This means you can back down the ramp, stop leaving enough room between the water’s edge and your tow vehicle, and remove both the safety chain and the winch strap.
              If the boat somehow rolls off the trailer at that point it’ll be floating in the water rather than setting on the concrete ramp, however you’ll likely need to get back into the tow vehicle and back in a bit more then tap the breaks to get the boat moving.
              Take your time and back in a little at a time if need be. Don’t let others at the ramp pressure you into a hurry and you’ll do fine.
              Dave
              Edmonds, WA
              "THE FIX" '93 2556
              My Misc. Projects

Comment

Launch -
                back down so you can still get to the winch and safety chain without getting feet wet.
                Undo those
                Give it a shove, if that doesn't work back up ~2ft and hit the brakes.

Load -
                I have had best luck with most boats and ramps with water near the top of the fender on front axle.
                Usually you can walk out on the trailer frame and hook the strap from that point.
                Winch it in to the bow stop
                Hook the chain
                1999 Sandpiper Pilothouse - Current
                1989 3888 - 2011-2019, 1985 Contessa - 2005-2011, 1986 21' Trophy 1998-2005
                Nobody gets out alive.

Comment

Back to the water as Dave said, remove the safety chain then loosen the winch a couple or few turns, re-engage the dog and back in until it floats free of the bow roller and stops on the winch tension.

I do about 4 turns on mine, it floats back enough for me to fully remove the winch strap and monkey up onto the pulpit to get to the helm and drive away.
                  " WET EVER "
                  mmsi 338108404
                  mmsi 338124956

Comment

I have wondered how people launch their bigger / taller boat if there is no dock... I have no room at the top of the post to use that as a footstep, and my monkey skills never developed that well. I waa always the monkey at the bottom of the tree looking up at the monkeys in the tree that tried to get me to come up there.
                    Hmmm, another can of worms to figure out....

Fixing a boat is one thing, operating it is something else....
                    1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
                    5.8L OMC Cobra
                    Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

• builderdude
                      builderdude commented
                      Editing a comment
                      launching my 25 without a dock? Not gonna try that anytime soon.
                      🙃😳😆

I had a pair of hip boots I used for the ramp. I agree that your chain is too tight.
                    P/C Pete
                    Edmonds Yacht Club (Commodore 1993)
                    1988 3818 "GLAUBEN”
                    Hino EH700 175 Onan MDKD Genset
                    MMSI 367770440

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice! I will leave some slack in the chain when launching. And find a way to get up on the bow.... You also confirmed my suspicion that removing the chain before the boat floats is not a good idea....
                      1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
                      5.8L OMC Cobra
                      Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Metrodriver View Post
                        Thanks everyone for the advice! I will leave some slack in the chain when launching. And find a way to get up on the bow....

No need to climb up onto the bow with dock access. Have fenders deployed and someone in charge of your midship mooring line (belly line) while you tap the breaks and watch it drift clear of the trailer.
                        Dave
                        Edmonds, WA
                        "THE FIX" '93 2556
                        My Misc. Projects

Comment

Dktool: something to make the monkeying part easier:

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/flexs...YrMCFjPoZRtU60
                          1989 2159 Trophy Hardtop
                          5.8L OMC Cobra
                          Mountlake Terrace, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Metrodriver View Post
                            Dktool: something to make the monkeying part easier:

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/flexs...YrMCFjPoZRtU60
                            No need, when the boat floats enough off of the bunks I can push it back more which causes the bow to lower to static float level, then I stand on my horizontally mounted spare tire and climb over the pulpit rail.

Easy enough even for a senior monkey.
                            " WET EVER "
                            mmsi 338108404
                            mmsi 338124956

Comment

Working...
                            X