Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vinyl Wrapping a hull......Has anyone done this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vinyl Wrapping a hull......Has anyone done this?

I have a 2011 28 foot Ciera 2855 Bravo III 350 mag. The blue hull looks horrible. I tried everything to make it look presentable....compound, wax, polish...etc. I'm thinking of either vinyl Wrap or painting. Not looking to spend a lot of money. So my questions are....
    1) Approx cost including installation. ( I live in New Jersey)
    2) how long does it last?
    3) Does it fade?
    4) Durable?
    5) Good idea overall?

Thanks.
    Mike

Photos?

You're probably better off painting it. Cheaper and more durable.
    Current boats: 1989 Bayliner Avanti 4285 & 1986 Catalina 30 Sailboat
    Past boats:
    1979 Catalina 30
    1997 Bayliner 2855
    1996 Bayliner 2855
    1990 Bayliner Avanti 2955

Comment

Here are two pics of a 38 Bayliner, done about 3 years ago here in Anacortes, WA

Hull was white and now blue viynl wrapped.

Owner said cost was about $15K and is easy to repair if damaged. To paint it was about $30K

He showed me how simple it is to repair with a heat gun...Impressive.

David

Comment

I have not done this, but I have had a lot of vinyl graphics on the hills of previous boats I have owned.

If you keep the boat at a dock, you can expect your bumpers to do a lot of damage, especially on windy or wavy days.

Also, UV will do a lot of fading. Expect to have to redo the job every 10 years, probably sooner if you live in a more sunny/warmer climate.
        Edd M. Schillay
        Captain of the "Starship Enterprise" / NCC-1701-C
        2002 Bayliner 3788
        Venice Yacht Club / Venice Island, FL

Our prime directive: Wherever we go, we go boldly.

Comment

Prism Graphics does wraps on boats. They do a great job and are reasonably priced (cheaper than 15k one in Anacortes for a 38). Wrapping is way cheaper than painting and the vinyl will hold up really well. I have had it before with no issues at all. You just have to get a very experienced installer to make sure they do a good job on the seems and the hard angle locations (they'll use adhesive there too).
          1997 Bayliner 2588 Cierra 7.4 Bravo 1 - Mahal
          (past)1997 Bayliner 4788 w/330 Cummins - Phoenix
          (past) 1987 Bayliner 3218 w/135 Hino - True Story

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainEdd View Post
            Also, UV will do a lot of fading. Expect to have to redo the job every 10 years, probably sooner if you live in a more sunny/warmer climate.
            It can be as little as 2 years in places like Florida. The industry guys I talked to basically said Vinyl is temporary by design. Depends on how your boat is stored too. Marina, lift, or a shed. Vinyl is also generally far more sensitive to chemicals, diesel, and gasoline. Any solvents won't be kind to it.

I got wildly different quotes depending on the company I talked to. I wouldn't go for the lowest bidder as longevity of wrap depends on the materials and application process. The prep can be extensive.
            More of a personal opinion but as a flat shade I feel paint always looks much better. Vinyl has a plastic look I can't get past. But if you're happy with the look that's all that maters.
            Past boats:
            1979 Catalina 30
            1997 Bayliner 2855
            1996 Bayliner 2855

Comment

Thank you all for your reply!! I'll get some estimates, but if the price is higher then i want to spend, then i'll just let it be... It seems it may not be as durable as I was hoping for.

Comment

For what it's worth, everyone I know with vinyl is happy with the outcome so far. It's not a bad solution.

The reason I pursued it is I thought it's easier to apply in the state of WA. There are almost no yards that will let you spray.
                Past boats:
                1979 Catalina 30
                1997 Bayliner 2855
                1996 Bayliner 2855

Comment

The previous owner of my boat had the blue painted because original gel coat was faded. I bought the boat in 2013 and it still looks great, I have never had to take compound to it, I just use Finess It and wax. I did have some repairs done over the years, when I bought the boat the port side had some docking damage that needed two thirds of the blue repaired and repainted that cost $600 and I also had the starboard side repaired from gouges from a steel post at a dock in Canada, that repair was $250. I consider both repairs inexpensive to have done, I would think if I had a wrap it would of been alot more.
                  I find the painted blue to be very durable and easy to maintain. I did ask my glass guy how much the entire blue would cost to do and he said between $2600-$3000.
                  Attached Files
                  Dave
                  2004 Bayliner 305(twin 220hp Bravo II drives)
                  2008 Yamaha FX Cruiser
                  2012 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO
                  http://baylinerownersclub.org/galler...2_itemId=11187

Comment

Friend wrapped his Searay 2-1/2 years ago. Blue and wood grain. Still looks as good as the first day
                    Attached Files
                    1992 4588
                    WitchWay

Seadoo Wake 170

Comment

Working...
                    X