Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabin temp on 305/3055 in PNW/Puget Sound in summer-gctid352580

Hi Folks,

I took the boat out for it's first family cruise yesterday from Shilshole down to Bell Harbor Marina. We had a great lunch and our two year old took a nice nap before we fired the engines back up and turned around. It was a great trip, and docking was surprisingly easy. We didn't hook up to shore power and it got rather cold down in the cabin pretty quickly. I've noticed that the thermostats on the heaters tend to say it's just below 50 most of the time. So here's the question....does it get significantly warmer in the cabins in the summer time? The Puget Sound doesn't get significantly warmer if I'm correct in my thinking...We were nice and warm up top with our heatercraft on and all the vinyl shut, just a bit chllly below deck. Any input is appreciated!

Cheers

It does warm up a lot in the summer time in the Puget Sound. The cabin will warm up too, especially with the sun shining on it. But as you found it can get a bit chilly too. We run a Mr. Heater to take the chill off.

Comment

We often run a mr heater on the flybridge while running in the spring, fall and winter. I'd never run one below unattended!!

I'm sure you meant that, just reiterating the point

Comment

the boat heater that u have in ur boat is runned by the engine coolant, eletric or gas?

Boating is getting more and more fascinating for me is so much new information it's a entire new universe for me....

tks

Comment

I also run a portable propane heater in the cabin of my 2452, I went with the small coleman version(screws on to 1lb tank). only ever need to use it winter or very early or late fall....it doesnt make it toasty but definitly comfortable

I think you will find the cabin very comfortable as weather warms and will not bother with the heater.

and as mentioned do not leave unattended or use while sleeping, even the catalyst models that advertise no CO emmissions they can still depleat oxygen levels in a closed space...not worth the risk (even if vented) in my opinion.

if you are considering one and I were to make any other suggestions I would go with the model that sits on an angle rather then straight up, I went with the straight up model and it tends to heat the cieling better then anything else unless i put it on the floor (where it is in the way)...live and learn. :hammer

a cheap easy solution/suggestion

Comment

boatommy wrote:
            We often run a mr heater on the flybridge while running in the spring, fall and winter. I'd never run one below unattended!!

I'm sure you meant that, just reiterating the point
            Yeah, we keep an eye on it at all times. Never go to sleep when it is on.

Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

aa2300 mentioned having a Heatercraft in the cockpit. Why not add a loop for the cabin?
              Jim McNeely
              New Hope a 2004 Bayliner 305 Sunbridge Express Cruiser
              Twin 5.7s with Bravo2 drives
              Brighton, Michigan USA
              MMSI # 367393410

Comment

Here in minnesota the cabins get cold in the fall/spring and hot as hell in the summer. I love my a/c with reverse heat, that thing pumps out MASSIVE amounts of heat and easily warms our cabin up in no time. Cooling on the other hand lol....If its HOT out it will struggle.

Comment

We've always used vented diesel or kerosene heaters.

Pick your brand, pick your style (hydronic or forced air).

Most boats that stay in a slip (24' and up) seem to have one flavor of furnace or another.

KEVIN SANDERS
                  4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
                  www.transferswitch4less.com

where are we right now?

https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

biohazard wrote:
                    Here in minnesota the cabins get cold in the fall/spring and hot as hell in the summer. I love my a/c with reverse heat, that thing pumps out MASSIVE amounts of heat and easily warms our cabin up in no time. Cooling on the other hand lol....If its HOT out it will struggle.
                    You're correct with the heat. I once stayed the night abord in April. The outside temperature dropped to 30* and I was a warm and toasty 72* inside the cabin. As to the AC, I had a 10000 BTU unit it had no difficulty keeping the cabin cool up to about 90*. I could hold 72*. Once the temp went above 90* I had to up the AC setting inside the cabin to 79*/80* or the unit would not shut down.
                    Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
                    West River Yacht & Cruising Club
                    www.wrycc.com

Comment

You "could" not have heat at night, and likely be "fine" but 58 degrees a few feet from you does take the heat off pretty quick. We have low heat on almost every night in the San Juans.

My SOP is to have the heat on, and a window open a crack on each side of the cabin.

Anchoring, well, an extra blanket and a good spoon should take care of ya.
                      Tally and Vicki
                      "Wickus" Meridian 341
                      MMSI 338014939

Comment

I can hang in the cool nights... Michele on the other hand, forget it. She demands heat! Picked up one of those ceramic heaters West Marine had on sale at the boat show. Now I need to get one of them Honda generators, then she will go to the San Juan's this year... That is, if I can swing that financially... Get heat!

Comment

Working...
                        X