Possible Bayliner Purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possible Bayliner Purchase

Like I posted in the other thread I have sold my Carver. Looking to downsize to something smaller, about 95% certain of that. When checking the various sites with boats for sale I came across a 1998 Bayliner 2655 for sale across the state from me. A couple of weekends ago I drove across the state to look at the Bayliner.

Here is a link to the Bayliner: https://www.boattrader.com/boat/1998...ciera-8024531/

It showed pretty well for a 23 year old boat. It's in pretty decent condition. It has the 5.7 engine rebuilt in 2008 and a Jasper drive installed in 2012. The seller has owned the boat for the last 17 years. He's the 2nd owner. We did get to sea trial the boat although conditions were less than ideal with 4' rollers on Lake Muskegon. Boat ran well. I do have one concern and would like to hear your opinions. The boat has factory air. However unlike my 3055 where the A/C condensate drained into a Johnson sump that was pumped overboard the A/C condensate on this boat drains into the bilge.

The standing water in the bilge may get underneath the gas tank and I am afraid of the possible corrosion issues the standing water could cause. Is this a concern that i should pass on this boat or should I take a chance and after purchase install something that will get the condensate pumped overboard and not into the bilge.

I really don't want to buy a boat that in a couple of years I may need to replace the gas tank. I still have a couple of other boats I am going to look at. Truth is most if not all of the cruisers in that size range do have the gas tanks mounted down low in the bilge so it's not just a Bayliner issue.

All opinions welcomed.
    Rick Grew

2022 Tahoe T-16

2004 Past Commodore
    West River Yacht & Cruising Club

If you like it, buy it. Life is short, enjoy. I don't think it will be a problem, no more than any other bilge water.
    Jeff & Tara (And Hobie too)
    Lake Havasu City, AZ
    |
    Current: 2022 Sun Tracker Sport Fish 22 XP3 w/ Mercury 200
    2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
    2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
    2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
    2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
    And 13 others...
    In memory of Shadow (7-2-10,) and Ginger (5-11-21.)
    Best boat dogs ever! Rest in peace girls...

Comment

My forward AC drains into the bilge. I have worked through a number of solutions and so far have not figured out the perfect solution so I am back to draining into the bilge.

I use this bilge pump to keep my bilge levels to a minimum
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When they do not dry on their own I use one of these
      https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
      Current: 1998 Bayliner 4085 - Cummins 6BTA 370's
      Past: 2004 Monterey 322 - Volvo 5.7 GXi's
      Past: 1987 Silverton 34X - Crusader 454's

Comment

Rick - I retrofitted my '05 288CB with a Mermaid Industries Condensator Valve and never again had to worry about water in the fwd bilge. Thing works awesome. That said, is there any way that you could inspect mid-bilge and/or aft bilge to determine if the is or was standing water beneath the fuel tank? As others mentioned, if you like the boat and it's general overall condition, get it, install the Mermaid, and be happy!
        Cheers
        Ted
        Ted
        2005 288 Command Bridge
        350 Mag MPI / BRAVO III

Every Day Is Saturday

Comment

My 2452came with a factory condensate thru hull, a foor above the water line to drain it overboard. Is there a reason you cannot change it?
          Captharv 2001 2452
          "When the draft of your boat exceeds the depth of water, you are aground"

Comment

As far as I know it can be changed from draining into the bilge. The fact the gas tank is sitting in standing water and has been doing so since the boat was new is a concern for me. I am going to look at another boat this Saturday so we will see how that goes. It's another Carver, a 2767 Santego.
            Rick Grew

2022 Tahoe T-16

2004 Past Commodore

Comment

I did go and look at the other boat. It's a 1990 Carver 2767 Santego.

Here is a link to the Carver.

http://www.pier33.com/boats-for-sale...higan-8006602/

I have made an offer on the Carver. Waiting for an acceptance of counter-offer.
              Rick Grew

2022 Tahoe T-16

2004 Past Commodore

Comment

Nice layout, looks comfortable. Two V-6's ought to move her pretty easy, too.
                Jeff & Tara (And Hobie too)
                Lake Havasu City, AZ
                |
                Current: 2022 Sun Tracker Sport Fish 22 XP3 w/ Mercury 200
                2000 Bayliner 3388 Cummins 4bta 250s (SOLD 2020)
                2000 Bayliner 2858 MCM 7.4 MPI B3 (SOLD 2018)
                2007 Bayliner 305 MCM twin 350 Mag B3s (SOLD 2012)
                2008 Bayliner 289 MCM 350 Mag Sea Core B3 (SOLD 2009)
                And 13 others...
                In memory of Shadow (7-2-10,) and Ginger (5-11-21.)
                Best boat dogs ever! Rest in peace girls...

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffw View Post
                  Nice layout, looks comfortable. Two V-6's ought to move her pretty easy, too.
                  It has a lot of room for a 27 footer.
                  Rick Grew

2022 Tahoe T-16

2004 Past Commodore

Comment

I'd go for the smaller one, with the single engine, that twin inboard set up look like a finger buster/back breaker to service and repair. The only way I'd ever have another I/O boat is if its a single engine with a wide open engine compartment. Think about how you'd replace the starter on the port side engine, or even change the inner spark plugs on both, or GOD FORBID, you had to replace the steering actuator.
                    A family member just bought a 21' Chapparal (2020) with a Merc 4.5/Alpha, very nice boat but for anything but routine service, very very difficult. Not for me.
                    88 Four Winns 200 Horizon 4.3 OMC
                    98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0/Selectrac
                    07 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7 Hemi/Quadradrive II

Long Island Sound Region

Comment

Working...
                    X