Think of this next time you complain about the cost of moorage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think of this next time you complain about the cost of moorage

We just purchased a waterfront property with a dock in the Gulf Islands (Piers Island just off of Sidney BC). This allows us to realize a lifelong dream but has been a real eye opener when it comes to the cost of having a dock.
    The dock had some deferred maintenance required and we knew that when we purchased. This week we had the chains replaced because they were 7 years old old have been shackled for repair several times. Cost for the 4 chains and a diver $6500 which should get us another 6 or 7 years.Then there were three floats that were half sunk and needed replacement - Cost plus install $5500. So that gets us okay for this year and maybe next. But the entire floating section of the dock will need replacement in the next few years. Estimates are $25,000 to $35,000 and that will buy us about 20(ish) years. Why didn’t we just replace the dock rather than spend the $5500 you ask - well there is a minimum one year wait list to get a dock built and this one likely would not have survived the winter storms. Then there are the annual inspections with a diver (approx. $1000 plus the cost of any repairs) Oh and then there is insurance and foreshore lease for a few hundred each year. All in all it has been a real eye opener.
    I am not asking anyone to cry for us - we are considering ourselves very fortunate and are thrilled to have what we got. But in the past when we used to complain about the cost of moorage I used to think that it was just easy money for the marina operators. Now that I know the actual cost of owning a dock I have come to appreciate the service that Marina operators offer.
    2014 Double Eagle 176EXL. But we are not done with Bayliner yet…this is just to get us to and from our cottage in the Gulf Islands.

Yep docks are not cheap. This spring I added two seadoo ramps at a cost of almost $6K and a new lake dock would run, just as you mentioned 20K or so.
    BTW I spent the last 30 years living in a waterfront home and consider it one of the best decisions we ever made as a couple. You will not regret your decision 20 years from now. It is not easy paying the price vs a landlocked home but it is worth it in the long run.

On the subject of moorage.... I like to compare moorage to a condo fee.

Pick your place in the world and look at the price of a waterfront condo. Then consider what the monthly condo fee is for that place.

A large boat is the same way except its movable. Consider what moorage costs and you will realize that a "boat condo" is a pretty good way to experience waterfront life.

KEVIN SANDERS
    4788 LISAS WAY - SEWARD ALASKA
    www.transferswitch4less.com

Whats the weather like on our boat
    https://www.weatherlink.com/embeddab...59665f4e4/wide

Where are we right now? https://maps.findmespot.com/s/36S4

Comment

Out here you're lucky to find a slip at all. It's common to have three or more years on a wait list regardless of price. There are thousands of vacant private docks out here in the pnw. I wish there was way to rent a dock. It would help the homeowners maintain it and improve the market for boat owners.
      Current boats: 1989 Bayliner Avanti 4285 & 1986 Catalina 30 Sailboat
      Past boats:
      1979 Catalina 30
      1997 Bayliner 2855
      1996 Bayliner 2855
      1990 Bayliner Avanti 2955

Comment

^^^^
        Same in New England. My marina is full with a waiting list. Slips are $150/ft plus electric for less than 6 months. Some transient fees are 4.00/ft. Crazy.
        Irony
        1989 Bayliner 4588 - EH700TI
        Portsmouth, NH

Comment

• Metrodriver
          Metrodriver commented
          Editing a comment
          Is that per month, per year?

• Kwood
          Kwood commented
          Editing a comment
          $150/ft for the season + electric. So from May to October $7,500 for a 50 footer. Transient fee is per day.

In Alaska, we waited three and half years to get slip. A friend has a cabin and added a float with a bridge. The float 40x20 was $50K, bridge was $10K. (His cabin has that million dollar view. Everything costs

Comment

Dockage rates here in Michigan are relatively cheap. My dock for the this season was $1750 for a 35' dock in a protected marina. Can't complain when I hear about dockage at marinas in other places.
          Rick Grew

1981 Carver 3007 Aft Cabin

2004 Past Commodore
          West River Yacht & Cruising Club

Comment

It's easy to complain but perspective it still seems cheap. My marina was sold and they are driving new piles and new docks/water/electric/etc...my slip rent is going from $385 a month to $551 Live Aboard fee probably going up as well. Could save a little by moving, but I'm not sure it's worth it. It makes more sense to ditch my storage unit, Netflix, and my unused gym membership
            . . .It places the lotion in the Basket. . .and that basket happens to be in a 1987 Bayliner 3870 w/ Hino 175's

Comment

Working...
            X